Sagging hood heat/sound insulation. Fix?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Greetings.
Is there any fix for the sagging heat/sound shield under the hood besides replacing to brand new one?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have the same issue, although it has been 'helped' along by some mice. Mine also looks like it has shrunk some so I am thinking replacement is necessary. At least in my case.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Nope, the original that came on the cars is junk. I ordered a new version replacement from Quirk VW parts on eBay. Much better material and of course genuine VW fit.

Updated part number is 5K0863831G

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I fabricated some large spring clips out of coat hangers wrapped in electrical tape. It worked, but I ultimately changed to the new version. The new one is so much better.

Old version with homemade clips

on Flickr

New version

on Flickr

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Wow that new version does look much improved.

Mice also trashed mine, so I tossed it.

I was intending on some kind of adhesive foil but depending on cost I may opt for the updated insulation.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Wow that new version does look much improved.

Mice also trashed mine, so I tossed it.

I was intending on some kind of adhesive foil but depending on cost I may opt for the updated insulation.
fatmat is fairly cheap

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I fabricated some large spring clips out of coat hangers wrapped in electrical tape. It worked, but I ultimately changed to the new version. The new one is so much better.
Old version with homemade clips

on Flickr
New version

on Flickr
Have the same issue and it's always bothered me: what is the part no. of the revised mat? Thanks!

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Thanks guys, that helps. Looks like this fits the Golf family, I wonder if a Gen V will work? You can get those for a 1/3 of the cost.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^It is funny how some vendors try to suck you in with a lower price, then get you with the higher shipping costs. That said, I'm sure it's not inexpensive to ship in that big flat box.

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Mine came today -- $63.41 with shipping from Partsgeek for the aftermarket one I posted above. Super easy to install (like 2 minutes), and it came with replacement clips too (though I reused the originals). Quality seems fine; I have no idea how it'll hold up, but it's light years better than the mess that was in there.

ETA pics:

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Fhat the wuck? $80 to ship? You should be ashamed of yourself
I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them, including radiators, and shipping to Maine was never that steep. I think the radiators were in the $25 range. That is out of line.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I finally got around to clean up and tape down the edges of the area eaten by mice. But for 64 bucks I might be tempted to splurge, and invest in a new pad for the old diesel!

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I had chipmunks starting to nest in mine and tore it all out.

vladegv

TDI
Golf 6, 2.0 TDI 140hp
Solution with the plastic ZIP ties is OK if the insulation is not get soften as mine, be careful it can tear up the insulation.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Does the insulation actually make much difference? I finally threw mine away a few months ago, after mice got to it again, and can't really say I notice anything. Is it louder without? Maybe only at startup?