Safely certified car every 2 year in Ontario

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Word is car will have to safety yest every 2 years in Ontario in the near future.
They will for sure look at the emissions on vehicles being there is no E test being done anymore.
Believe it or not time will tell.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Eh, New brunswick already does this, along with a number of US states.

A good thing in my opinion - there are a lot of wrecks rolling down the road currently, with not a lot of enforcement.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
As a student in Australia I drove a series of cars purchased at auction for next to nothing because there was no way they were going to be worth fixing for their next annual safety inspection - any rust perforation was an automatic fail.

The best deal I remember was a Hillman Imp for $50 that ran great and had almost 6 months left on the sticker :cool:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We've had safety inspections in Missouri since the late '60s. It is not a bad thing, really. It is cheap ($12), and while it used to be every year, it more recently went to every other year, and even more recently cars do not require them until they are 10 years old or hit 150k miles.... although the mileage thing has no practical way of enforcement.

We don't have anything for rust hole failure aside from something that would be deemed structural and thus an actual safety hazard. So rusted out rockers and fender lips are not an issue, at least here.

There is no link to emissions testing and safety aside from a visual check, and even that isn't really much of a thing.

Illinois right next to us has no inspections, and in the eastern end of the state, we see plenty of those clapped out death bombs over here. So if there was ever a good reason to have them, we see that every single day.

The problem is, unfortunately, lots of people will absolutely do nothing to their cars unless someone forces them to... and even at that, plenty now just drive around in expired plates or the new thing, expired temp tags. You can only police people so much, and I'm not really sure what can be done about the chronic rule breakers. But I know if you take good care of your car, a safety inspection is a non-issue, and you would/should actually WANT to know if your car has a non-functioning exterior light, or a ball joint that is ready to pop out of its socket, or any one of 100 other things. For 12 bucks, you won't be able to get any other professional in their field to check something out like that. My brother is a plumber, and if you asked him to come check out your house's pipes, it'll cost $85 just to show up.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Our annual safety inspection (PA) is $50 it used to be less than $20. PA does a county by county emissions inspection that is probably extra, I don't know for sure because my county currently does not inspect for emissions. I can get my car inspected with multiple codes and the engine light and airbag light on. I don't know if it would pass with an ABS light on. There can be no rust through into the passenger compartment and other rust through is looked at closely and sometimes causes failure.

NY just across the border is way more lenient for rust through but any check engine light on is an automatic failure, that applies to the entire state as far as I know.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I had a CEL on the '98 Passat for VSS signal when I bought it. Needed to get it inspected as it came from Vermont. (In NY you're supposed to get your car inspected when you buy it, but I always leave the old sticker on and wait for it to expire).

I had to do a bit of research and finally found the solution (wiring to the cluster was involved, but I don't remember specifics). Got it inspected and all, but then someone told me that that particular code might not actually make me fail the OBD2 emissions inspection, even though the CEL was on.

Of course I've always thought any CEL is an automatic failure, and since I fixed it prior I don't know for sure what NYS would've done.

I don't know how mechanics can charge only $21 for the inspection, tho. Not that I want to pay more, but it's gotta be a money loser for them.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
That's it I'm moving to Alberta. I have 7 cars. Just the $150 x 7 plus time to bring each one in. F that.
Sure!
You don’t even have to go that far actually, no inspections (except for out of province vehicles) or emissions testing here in Sask either. Plus the added bonus of seeing your dog run away for three days... right?