safe coal?

spacebee

TDI
mk5 jetta
hey im new to diesel in general is there a safer way to roll coal in my jetta than the evry mod? can anyone give me tips?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Poor fuel all over the car and light it up. It should pour coal for some time unless the Fire Dept gets there quick. Most of us here aren't idiots that want to do things like this. I hope you get no help.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Black smoke is wasted fuel. Don't be stupid.

spacebee

TDI
mk5 jetta
ik its wasting fuel and its not great for the block or the turbo just wanted to try something.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anyone doing this gives all of us a bad name. Not to mention helps the government to get rid of these cars. Don't do it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was behind a Golf yesterday that looked like he does nothing but roll coal. Left back of his white car was covered in black soot. Smoked more at a single stop light than my JSW has in 145k miles of driving. As I pulled up along side him, I heard the gasser engine. So I guess just needs a valve job.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What that picture doesn't show is the smoking hot chick driving the Prius and the toothless redneck straight out of Deliverance driving the Dodge. Him: You got a purty mouth. Her: Ewww!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Evry mod is a bad mod that not only wastes fuel looks dumb, but also hurts your turbo and will end up killing expensive parts even if done right. Turbo surge or the dreaded "warp field collapse" effect is really bad and will happen every time with the evry mod installed.
There is no "safe rolling coal" unless you spend a few grand. Higher egts will kill your turbo and possibly melt pistons. Dumping fuel in an unmetered wastefull way is just bone headed way to spend money on parts that would otherwise last a long time.
If you want to look cool, get a tune, some nozzles, bigger turbo and a clutch and be a sleeper build. You can still "roll coal" I you go with a lot of fuel but you need to monitor egts at higher rpms. That unburnt fuel ends up getting burnt at higher revs. This turns into extreem heat.

Whatever you do, spend the money and do it right. There is a reason these cars go for 500k miles. Don't head alour advice and your car wont last very long

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
You want a ram pickup, preferably with swampers, they come with factory coal option

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You want a ram pickup, preferably with swampers, they come with factory coal option
My Ram doesn't roll coal, even if I stand on it. Any CR diesel is not going to roll coal unless it's been modified.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
What that picture doesn't show is the smoking hot chick driving the Prius and the toothless redneck straight out of Deliverance driving the Dodge. Him: You got a purty mouth. Her: Ewww!
Now imagine if the drivers are switched, that would be so funny and would catch many people by surprise :ROFLMAO::D

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I'm with ya on the toofless redneck in the truck, but more likely there is a 5' 4", 225 lb cat herder in the Prius. Double Ewwww.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heh. We're probably the wrong crowd to be pigeonholing other car owner demographics. I'd say we're 95% crusty old white dudes. :)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta with .205 nozzles and a Stage 2 tune the only time I poured black smoke was on hard acceleration or popping into passing gear (Auto). If someone was tailgating me I would pop into passing gear and smoke him out, he'd back off rather quickly!
Otherwise I avoided smoke !

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
hey im new to diesel in general is there a safer way to roll coal in my jetta than the evry mod? can anyone give me tips?
If you're gonna ask this question, you might as well join the facebook group. I personally regard that group as "for entertainment purposes only."
Black smoke is wasted fuel. Don't be stupid.
I used to think myself a little was kinda cool under hard acceleration. Turns out I had a massive boost leak I've since fixed. Yup, the only reason it comes out black is because you're injecting more fuel than you can properly burn. When I see someone rolling coal like that, or like the truck below, I'm thinking the driver is just a dumb@$$ that has tons of money to blow and is all around an inconsiderate prick.
Anyone doing this gives all of us a bad name. Not to mention helps the government to get rid of these cars. Don't do it.
Yup. I'm thankful that Texas is still quite diesel friendly, but people like the in the photo n1das posted will ruin it for us all. Most of the people in my town that do that are usually 16-19 year olds.
Prius Repellant:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have had a bunch of TDIs and non of them would blow black smoke ,because they were stock. Almost no one would know they were diesel unless you told them. Most people would have a different idea of modern diesel if they knew anything about them,like getting 700 miles per tank of fuel or being able to pull 7000 lb trailers,and they are quiet as gassers. The tourareg will out perform all the suv gasser easily in all categories. i hate to see the diesel being railroaded out of existence. Don't expect to see any real cars in Calif sold if Gov gets his way by 2035. It's a petty.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
ik its wasting fuel and its not great for the block or the turbo just wanted to try something.
Rolling coal causes turbo EGTs to go sky high. The result will be a melted turbo if done for very long. Don't do it.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I have had a bunch of TDIs and non of them would blow black smoke ,because they were stock. Almost no one would know they were diesel unless you told them. Most people would have a different idea of modern diesel if they knew anything about them,like getting 700 miles per tank of fuel or being able to pull 7000 lb trailers,and they are quiet as gassers. The tourareg will out perform all the suv gasser easily in all categories. i hate to see the diesel being railroaded out of existence. Don't expect to see any real cars in Calif sold if Gov gets his way by 2035. It's a petty.
My next diesel vehicle will be a diesel pickup truck to help guarantee being able to get a diesel vehicle in the future. The diesel pickup truck market is well established and doesn't appear to be threatened and wasn't affected much by the VW Dieselgate scandal. Diesel pickup trucks used as work trucks will still be available for a long time.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I think it depends where you live.
city people: what is wrong with that thing???! it's clunking like old washing machine!!
me: Naw, it's more like a hit and miss, and nothings wrong with it. it's better then new😁.
city people: umm, ok??....
(credit to city folk, I have had a few that thought it was cool as heck!)

country guy: What the heck is in there?
me: a 1.9 turbo diesel.
country guy: dude, that's sick! does it roll coal?
never fails. I always get more does it roll coal questions that how many miles to the gallon questions.
With the exception of truckers, they are always curious how far I can get on a tank.

For the people by the people. If people don't let it happen the government can't take it away. That's one reason why it's important to vote on a state and nation level!🙂

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
To help you Spacebee. listen to what Mongler has said above. better to tune, injector, and clutch it and try and get the more hp. it's a lot safer. Otherwise straight pipe, larger injectors, and when shifting into 2nd shift low on rpm's, and then pedal to the floor. Would only really recommend the evry mod if it's a $800 clunker and the motors on the way out, then just have fun while it lasts!!

spacebee

TDI
mk5 jetta
thank you for your suggestion, but i live in Kansas, tdi's are a tad bit of a rarity around here so ill probably keep mine running as long as possible and and buy a super cheap car and beat that up. (y) (y) (y) (y)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it depends where you live.
city people: what is wrong with that thing???! it's clunking like old washing machine!!
me: Naw, it's more like a hit and miss, and nothings wrong with it. it's better then new😁.
city people: umm, ok??....
(credit to city folk, I have had a few that thought it was cool as heck!)

country guy: What the heck is in there?
me: a 1.9 turbo diesel.
country guy: dude, that's sick! does it roll coal?
never fails. I always get more does it roll coal questions that how many miles to the gallon questions.
With the exception of truckers, they are always curious how far I can get on a tank.
That must be a regional thing? I live in the country and drove my tdi all around the nation. Never once did anyone ask about my cars coal rolling abilities. I got asked about fuel efficiency dozens of times.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
probably, varies state to state a bit I'm sure. I wasn't saying it should be one way or another just stating what have seen. Seems some people (not necessarily you, but just some people in general) like to tell newbies off right away when their asking a simple question. Should they maybe have done a lil research first? ya probably, but once again they are new and just asking a question. we're here to help, educate, and get more tdi people into the community. Hard to do that if we scare them off right away for asking "dumb questions". ya know?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
That must be a regional thing? I live in the country and drove my tdi all around the nation. Never once did anyone ask about my cars coal rolling abilities. I got asked about fuel efficiency dozens of times.
The number one thing people ask me about, is my mods, because they can hear my turbo at lower speeds.