"Sad moo" on shutdown - 03 Jetta GLS - WT#?

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Occasionally when shutting off the engine, I hear a sound right after the engine stops that sounds like the sound of a cow mooing in the distance. The sound is a low "ooooooh" that lasts about two seconds and seems to shift down in pitch at the end. It makes me think of the sound old Bessie might make as she was being shipped off to wherever they turn old cows into McDonald's burgers. :(

I know what's wrong with me for even thinking that last thought. :)

What I'm curious about is this: what (if anything) is wrong with my car? Is that sound indicative of some normal part of the car's operation, or is Bessie's ghost trying to warn me of engine problems from beyond the grave? :eek::D

chintzy

TDI
2000 golf tdi
check for vacuum leaks at the anti shutter valve, valve operates at engine shutdown.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
2020 Powerjoke
That "sad moo" sound:p you refer to is the anti shudder valve re-opening after it looses it's vacuume. If your looking at the engine bay, locate your EGR valve that's between the intake manifold and the plastic upper intercooler tube. The anti-shudder valve is inside the EGR assy. If you pull off the rubber 90 degree hose, it looks like a throttle plate.

When you shut the engine off, the stored vacuume in the black ball is used to shut that valve to help shut down the engine quickly and without shuddering from compression kickback.

I listen for it just cause i'm a goof when I have the windows down and i park in my driveway.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You are incorrect, sir. MickeyD's doesn't want old cows, they only want fresh new cows. The old cows go to glue and dog food factories. Same as old horses. And yes, there still are glue factories that make glue the old fashioned way.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
A Moo, you say ???

You might have a somewhat rare TDI engine that has had its output stated in Cattle-Power rather than Horse-Power... It isn't un-herd-of, as many people have reported incidents of Torque-Steer - and that's no Bull... (BTW: Cattle-Power should not be confused with the units of measure used with steam-based vehicles: Kettle-Power... As well, once upon a time one used Cattle-Power ratings when discussing headlight output, as some of us who weren't barn yesterday recall, but that is no longer the case, as they now have medication that prevents the spread of headlights...)

I know it's udderly ridiculous of me to bring this up, but I can't help milking these word-games for all they're worth(less), although they're certainly offal...

(I'll go, count to tan and hide now...)

Yuri

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The sad moo could be the sound of the A/C compressor equalizing pressure if it always occurs when the A/C is on.

Our TDI makes a sound occasionally that sounds like a plaintive low or a pensive bellow. It's the A/C.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
After trying shutting the car down with the A/C on, recently on, and off for at least a minute before shutdown, I've noticed that the sound only occurs if the A/C is either on when the car is turned off, or was on just before the car is turned off. So it does appear to be the A/C compressor equalizing. Thanks, Honeydew, for the tip.

farquare

TDI
AFN
Sorry to revive the post, but in the interest of completeness I would add that I narrowed this sound down to a faulty (although new) n75

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk