Rusty Fender lip

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I was washing the car and noticed that the lip of my front fender at the top is rusting where the plastic liner meets the metal. I can't understand how this is happeing on a car less than 5 years old. The rust starts at the lip at the highest point of the wheel well and is starting to come to the outside, visible fender. Can this be repaired, or does it need to be replaced?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
What's VW's corrosion warranty? Check. I think its for a pretty long time. That may cover the damage.

--Nate

nick02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta silver
Hello, I pull my inner fender plastic every year to get the crud out. At the top, right where you are talking about is a piece of foam. That foam may be soaked. Nick

Northman

Veteran Member
Mine is a 2000 and this problem started to show in year two when I bought the car used. Now I have big chunks off both sides. I don't see rust but the paint is lifting off the metal in flakes. My friends 2002 is just starting to come loose. Have the paint code and the dealer will order but I think I may take it to a bodyshop. Both cars also have a bit loose behind the wheels at the plastic fender protector.

CalPauley

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, cosmic green
My left front fender also started rusting in the same place. The metal area that folds down and meets the plastic is nearly rusted through and the paint is now bubbling along the outer top of the arch.

I cringe at the thought of having to go through the usual warranty battle with VW's service. :rolleyes:

tanker

TDI
2015 GSW TrendLine
This trouble only occurs with the TDI and VW Canada is covering the repair at VW body shops. I just had mine done at VW expense. (198K km) They took pictures and sent them off to VW. The body shop manager said that the TDI has a piece of foam attached to the inner fender (sound deadening?) that seems to collect salty water in the winter and prevents the normal drying. They remove the foam and paint inside and out. He says he's never seen one come back.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
tanker said:
This trouble only occurs with the TDI and VW Canada is covering the repair at VW body shops. I just had mine done at VW expense. (198K km) They took pictures and sent them off to VW. The body shop manager said that the TDI has a piece of foam attached to the inner fender (sound deadening?) that seems to collect salty water in the winter and prevents the normal drying. They remove the foam and paint inside and out. He says he's never seen one come back.
That's good to know about the foam. I removed my liners last year to clean out the trash behind them. I don't remember if I saw a foam strip or not, but next year when I remove the liners again, if I see foam, its history.

--nate

Duck0987

TDI
Jetta '03 Silver
I know my 03' comes with a 12 year unlimited millage rust through coverage. My question is does this mean the panel must have a rust hole all the way through the metal? I have several nasty rust spots on my hood as a result of highway rock chips that have started to rust do these count for the coverage, or would they have to rust all they way through?

tanker

TDI
2015 GSW TrendLine
The repair I had done at VW expense was not under the perforation warrantee, that only covers through and through rust perforation. My problem was mainly surface corrosion caused after the paint lifted along the panel edge. VW must recognize a design error specific to the TDI that causes this problem. I'm not arguing, it's a 2000 with 189k and they picked up a paint issue, not too shabby.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Same story for me out here on PEI. The non- VW dealer I bought the car from did a half job of painting the fenders and now it is breaking through again. The local VW dealer simply said wait untill it gets a little more ugly so it will turn up in a picture and VW Canada gets the bill for new fenders or paint job on existing ones (not sure).

That foam is definitely part of the problem. Its a huge piece.

B

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just noticed this myself. It's on the drivers side fender. I'm going to see if a VW dealer will fix it for free. If not, I'll probably clean it up and spray use underbody coating to protect the metal.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Has anyone in the US gotten VW to pay for this or gotten an answer one way or the other?

I have this on both front wheel wells (worse on the left side). I was planning on dealing with it myself but figured if there is a chance VW will take care of it I might as well let them.

On a related note has anyone here tried Rust Bullet?

http://www.rustbullet.com/

One of the many "miracle in a can" offerings.

Thanks