Rust!

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I parked next to a white TDi Jetta at lunchtime today, and noticed rust, lots of it, on the thin triangular strip of metal between the rear window glass and its lower frame (rear guide). A further look at the car showed the owner was none too careful about maintaining it either. A dog was shut inside, windows cracked open for air, but fido had the run of the car.

Drove back to work and looked at mine: none readily visible, but, but but .... its starting down inside!

Long term owners may want to take a peek at this area ASAP.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
Probably never been waxed. Paint was left open to the elements with no protective layer. Keep a coat of wax on it as your best insurance.

Ed52

Veteran Member
Seems to me that the '99 is affected. Have not seen '00 or '01 with any rust on that window piece.

Craig

Veteran Member
What an insult to a white Jetta.

But I haven't got a clue where you are talking about: "thin triangular strip of metal between the rear window glass and its lower frame (rear guide)."

-------------

2000 white Jetta

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I had my car at the dealer today for 10K oil change. I told the service manager about the orange spots on my car, mostly noticable when I wash the car. It is normally on the lower half on the side. The manager said that it is common on white ones and it is due to the tranport on rail.

But he didn't know why it happens. What during the transport on the train could cause that?

He just said that if it start to get worse, meaning spots getting bigger. Bring it in and VW will have to honor the warranty. Small, actually real tiny spots, started to appear on my car after two months.

Rallye

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Blue
mine to is 2000 jetta
i notice on the black metal separation betewen the 2 windows on the rear door near rubber .

i had the same trouble on my 4 doors golf 1993 gl td.

Roger

Craig

Veteran Member
Now I understand what you are talking about. When you said "rear window" I thought rear window as in back window. You meant rear windowS as in back seat side windows.

Now that I found the small triangular black pieces, they are rusting under the paint on mine car. Obviously it cannot handle even two Canadian winters. Another stupid design by VW. This should be plastic or better-- black aluminum. I wonder how hard it is to remove and replace this piece? The only alternative I see is to clean with a Dremmel and Tremclad.

DeafBug, I know exactly what you are referring about. Someone on Vortex last year said they are Aphid droppings. Impossible. I was getting them all winter. Can't be rust from metal underneath since they are on the plastic parts too. I dread that it is something that is related to the white paint itself.

I continually remove them by rubbing with liquid Turtle Wax. Even though it is not a cleaner wax, it must be a solvent for them. Works good, but it is a pain since they are all over sometimes (mostly on the lower rear quarter) and very small. Each one requires buffing off.

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
I too have noticed rust forming on the window channel on the rear. I also am seeing rust on the little front door tweater speaker grille. If it raining out a little water gets onto these grilles and they rust. I'm totally bummed
and I do wax my first ever new ride!!

robert e a

Typical VW .Not at all unusual.Check where cables etc. go through panels.Pull back the gromets and inspect.VW used to used a lubricant that just happened to be acidic when they fitted the gromets thro'the panels. The paint would disappear and the metal then rusted.fantastic!
Since they have been using water based paints on the Series 3 golf ( circca 1992) the paint has been crap.Bird droppings can easily destroy the paint finish

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
00 jetta tdi gls
I have the same rust problem on my rear passenger side window. Pointed it out to the dealer today while having a headlight replaced. He will try and have it replace for no charge. The part is 15$cdn and about a 1/2 hour labour.