runs fine, no smoke, but no power

Patriarch

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Passat Sedan
I have a 2005 TDi Passat wagon with 321K (about 130K on a factory new engine) replaced because of the oil pump chain breaking and mangling the valves etc. My mechanic at the time replaced the turbocharger also. While driving yesterday I experienced a loss of power. I didn't notice any new noises, and there was no smoke. I was able to drive it home (about 100 miles) it even got up to highway speeds though it took awhile. I checked the turbo hoses they seemed ok and I could hear no air leaks. It starts up fine and runs fine it just has no power. Also I needed to add water on the way home, though I think this is unrelated. Also the emission service and the curly (glow plug?) light is on. has the following codes: P0245, P2102, P2100, and P0741. I think the most likely is the P0245- Turbo Waste gate A solenoid low. not sure what or where that is. 6/9 I found the vacuum activated solenoid and the hose was off, put it back on , no change. Any ideas? thank you in advance, Patriarch

Last edited:

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Sounds like turbo limp mode, most likely caused by an air leak somewhere between the turbo outlet and intake manifold. Second most likely is a problem with the turbo actuator, most likely in that category is a vacuum leak between the control relay and actuator. There is lots of discussion of both of these in this forum. Just search.
I have had a number of air leak/limp mode episodes and only once did I hear an air leak.

Last edited:

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Sounds just like mine with a bad turbo. I had the turbo replaced the right way and it has been fine for a year now. Only go to a certified TDI guru.