Running rough/Fuel Smell

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
Hey guys new to the forum and new to TDI's. I just bought an 03 5spd. It's been running good the last few days except slow starts after it sits a while. I believe the battery is weak. However, today about halfway to work I started hearing like a popping sound almost like an exhaust leak and I could tell power was down some. At a stop it was idling rough and I could smell fuel bad. Popped the hook and the motor was jerking back and forth like a bad miss. I'm not sure where to begin checking.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First look at the injection pump for leaks. You can peek under the front of the engine cover (if it has one) on the passenger side near the power steering pump and belts. The hard starts may have been from air getting in the system and the fuel smell may be the pump seals failing.

How many miles on the car?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Check connections for a boost leak also

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
First look at the injection pump for leaks. You can peek under the front of the engine cover (if it has one) on the passenger side near the power steering pump and belts. The hard starts may have been from air getting in the system and the fuel smell may be the pump seals failing.

How many miles on the car?
The car has right at 227k miles on it. I did briefly look this morning when I got to work and didn't notice any leaks at all near the Injection Pump. When I get it home I'll check for boost leaks as well.

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
So I got it home and noticed a ton of smoke under the hood coming out around one of the injectors. So possible bad injector or just the seals?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If the smoke is literally coming out from around the injector body, for some reason the seal at the end of the injector body has gone south. Did you check and see if the hold down bolt for the injector is loose? All of the sudden leaks around the injector body is requiring you to pull it out. It ran great the other day and now there is something wrong? Is that about right?

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
I did think to look at that hold down bolt but didn't mess with it much since it was late. I'll mess with it more tonight and see if I can get a video of it as well. But yes it had been running fine, I had driven it out 100 miles that day and parked it. Got up the next morning and it ran fine until about 10 mins into my drive to work.

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
Well I’m an idiot and should of just checked it. The injector hold down was very loose. Tightened it and all is good. Thanks for the help.