Running car locked me out

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I had to get out of the car to key in the code to my buddies gate. When I came back to the car, it locked me out. My car has keyless entry but the door handles weren't responding. I started to panic as my dog and phone were in the car. The key fob wouldn't do anything except set off the panic alarm when I hit that button.

I have read the owners manual but clearly didn't fully digest it all. I remembered something about an actual key hole to put the actual key in. It took me a bit but I figured out to pop the cover off the handle to discover somewhere to insert the key. I unlocked the door and went on with my day with no other funny business.

Why did this happen? I'm sure I close the door of the running car all the time. My ritual for leaving home is 1) start car in garage, 2) drive car from garage to just outside my gate, 3) get out of car and run to close garage door, 4) run back to the car while closing the gate. I've never given it much thought, but I'm sure that I would close the car door since it is normally raining.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I have had my ‘13 Passat lock me out before too. Once it happened with the engine off!!! In my ‘05 I have had the doors lock themselves out of the blue with engine off —- and with the key not even in the ignition!!!

So, now I always roll a window down, keep the door open or take the key with me when I exit the vehicle. It rarely happens but could be a disaster if it happens in the wrong place at the wrong time and no precautions taken. Neither car has keyless entry.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Was it raining out and the fob got shorted? Did you shut the door with the handle thereby touching the locking point?

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
Was it raining out and the fob got shorted? Did you shut the door with the handle thereby touching the locking point?
It was a rare day when it was actually beautiful out. It is quite possible I locked it by touching the handle. I only open and close car doors with the handles out of habit. Shouldn't it just unlock when I touch the inside of the handle then?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes as far as I know it should open. Had a problem with Dad's yesterday. Could not get it to open all four doors using the door handle. As somebody else said above I will open my window if I close the door with the car running cause I just don't trust cars not to lock themselves. Hopefully your's was a one time thing

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
Dog was in the car...is it possible dog hit a switch or the brake pedal?
No, the dog is trapped in the back seat. My point is that the car wouldn't unlock. With the fob in my pocket, shouldn't it unlock when I grab the handle? Shouldn't the unlock button on the fob open it? Shouldn't the trunk open when you push that button?

It hasn't happened since but I know to never leave my key in the car now. Unless it becomes a common occurrence, I will just chalk it up to a quirk. It seems to have happened to a few others. I will just carry on.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
One last idea. Is it possible the car was in drive with the parking brake on? I wonder if that would disable the door handle and the fob?

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
There's something wrong with my driver door lock. It doesn't lock. Car alarm sets and other 3 doors lock but the driver door stays unlocked. Once in awhile it will actually lock and then won't unlock either with fob or touching handle. Not until you do it 5-6 times.

I need to take it to the dealer to get this fixed. (CPO) I read in another forum it's a problem with the NMS.

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I had it happen to me once as well... car was locked and it would not respond to the fob...had to pry the handle and use the key and it unlocked the car...I have KESSY and had to bring the key to the sensor under the steering key in order to start....I believed at the time that the battery died and since the replacements it did not happen again...

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
One last idea. Is it possible the car was in drive with the parking brake on? I wonder if that would disable the door handle and the fob?
That thought came to me before I figured out how to pop the key hole cover. I could clearly see the gear selector in park. Probably is a bad habit, but I can't tell you for sure that my parking brake works. I don't recall ever having an occasion that I would have used it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
That thought came to me before I figured out how to pop the key hole cover. I could clearly see the gear selector in park. Probably is a bad habit, but I can't tell you for sure that my parking brake works. I don't recall ever having an occasion that I would have used it.
Just for what it's worth, you NEVER using the parking brake are setting yourself up for more problems.
The PARK position is not designed for actually parking the car, there is just a small cog to hold the cars position and someone in another car pushing your car from ahead or behind can cause this cog to break necessitating an expensive repair.
Additionally should you ever use the hand brake you may find that it can seize up from disuse. Another costly repair.

BTW: I use my handbrake EVERY time I leave my car and have been doing that for eons.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW: I use my handbrake EVERY time I leave my car and have been doing that for eons.[/QUOTE]

Same here but once in a very long while I forget to set the brake (or use my turn signal) and it shocks me. Dummy, How can you forget after 40+years of practice!?

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
There's something wrong with my driver door lock. It doesn't lock. Car alarm sets and other 3 doors lock but the driver door stays unlocked.
Same for me, but with the passenger door. I figure there's no point in fixing it since I'm out of the warranty and plan to sell back to VW very soon anyway. Good luck with yours though.

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Same for me, but with the passenger door. I figure there's no point in fixing it since I'm out of the warranty and plan to sell back to VW very soon anyway. Good luck with yours though.
I got this car in January. I'm about to test the Certified Pre-Owned 2/24k warranty. Car itself has ~55k and my warranty is good until 75K. When it gets fixed (I'm procrastinating), I'll report back what they worked on, for anyone who may have a similar issue..

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
FYI, the CPO bumper-to-bumper warranty on TDIs is 2 years/unlimited mileage.
When I purchased mine in November 2017 it was 2 years/24K miles, they went to the unlimited mileage in December 2017. VW sent me a warranty supplement extending mine to the unlimited mileage in January 2018.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
It hasn't locked me out again and the key is always on my person. As far as the hand brake, I am trying to train myself to use it. I have always set it involuntarily on hills.