Running a Mk4 Golf/Passat 'B5' cluster on the bench

vwsyncro

TDI
T3 Single-Cab Pickup
Hi,

I'm planning a TDI install into a VW T3 Syncro TD van (Vanagon), using either an AFN, or later EA113 motor is it looks like that'll work. I'm planning a full electric TDI install, the mech pump route doesn't appeal.

I'm currently looking at options like upgrading the instrument cluster (probably Mk4 Golf/B5 Passat), and upgrading the vehicle from CE1 to CE2. I have a CE2 TDI harness running on the bench, and I just got a Golf Mk4 cluster off Ebay, part no 1J0 920 925 B to play with.

Just to get it power up so I can interrogate it, my reading of the pin-out (found it on this forum) suggests I should connect the blue connector as follows:

Pin 1 Term 15
Pin 7 Earth
Pin 9 Earth
Pin 23 Term 30
Pin 24 Earth
Pin 25 K-Line

However I'm finding the cluster does not power up when I switch on the 'ignition'. Am I missing something or is the cluster DOA ?

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
These are the ones I wired up that worked fine on my test bench:

Pin 1 Term 15
Pin 9 Earth
Pin 23 Term 30
Pin 24 Earth
Pin 25 K-Line.

(no pin 7)

I also wired up the Green MFA pins 23 ,24 and 25 through momentary switches to ground so I could scroll the mfa displays

If you wire blue 8 and blue 22 to ground as well, you wont get the annoying critical STOP warnings for coolant temp and water level when you test the cluster, and then the MFA display will work as well.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This is how I did:
Cluster blue connector:
PIN:
1 = 12 volts
23 = 12 volts
24 = gound
25 = K-line
OBD connector:
PIN:
4+5 = gound
7 = K-line
16 = 12 volts

So I run k-line from cluster to OBD connector then I put all gounds together and all 12 volts together , then run of each one just one wire for 12 volts and one wire for gound.

As graeme86 suggested you can add those additional gounds in green and blue connector.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
For the record, pin 1 is key on power and pin 23 is constant power. If you just apply 12V to pin 23, the clocks and odo will come up like it would be in the car with the battery connected. Additionally connect pin 1 to 12V and it will power up everything the cluster like you turned the key to ON.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
These are the ones I wired up that worked fine on my test bench:

Pin 1 Term 15
Pin 9 Earth
Pin 23 Term 30
Pin 24 Earth
Pin 25 K-Line.

(no pin 7)

I also wired up the Green MFA pins 23 ,24 and 25 through momentary switches to ground so I could scroll the mfa displays

If you wire blue 8 and blue 22 to ground as well, you wont get the annoying critical STOP warnings for coolant temp and water level when you test the cluster, and then the MFA display will work as well.
The part I high lighted is wrong.
Pin 22 blue connector is for coolant level sensor ,
but pin 8 is not needed.

Here is something I did:

Blue connector:

Pin:
1 - terminal 15 positive (12 volts)
23 - terminal 30, positive (12 volts)
24 - terminal 31, earth (ground)
25 - self diagnosis/K-wire (K-line)
----------------------------------------------------------------
OBD connector:

Pin:
4+5 - Ground
7 - K-line
16 - 12 volts

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aditional:

Blue connector:

Pin:
22 - ground (coolant temp)

Green connector:

Pin:
6-washer fluid (ground)
7-brake pad sensor (ground)

23 ,24 ,25 - ground for MFA

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Blue Pin 8 is the Coolant Temp Warning (G2 sensor)

I never said Pin 8 was the Washer Fluid Level. :)

You can earth the Green pin 6 on the cluster for the washer fluid as you describe, or you can decode the feature with VAGCOM softcode to turn off the washer fluid warning.

:)

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Blue Pin 8 is the Coolant Temp Warning (G2 sensor)

I never said Pin 8 was the Washer Fluid Level. :)

You can earth the Green pin 6 on the cluster for the washer fluid as you describe, or you can decode the feature with VAGCOM softcode to turn off the washer fluid warning.

:)
Sorry I made mistake when I was writing . Pin No. 8 is not needed , that what I meant to write down.
Pin No. 8 is for overheating temperature warning , which you will never have it when you working on bench.

Shire

TDI
None; '02 GTI 1.8T, several diesel powered pieces of equipment
cluster test

Hey y'all,

I just picked up a Passat 1.8t cluster with MFA for my 02 GTI. I would like to test the cluster somehow soon so that I can return it to the salvage yard if it is DOA. I really don't have the time (and VAGCOM yet) to fully install it. is there anyway I can just plug it into the car and see if it works without buggering up anything?

Thanks

Kalini

TDI
1.9 TDI 130 and 2.0 TDI 136
Hello .
I would like to display driver door open icone on FIS.
I tried to connect pin 21 to + 12v , not work and to ground, not work too :(
What do I Forget please ?