Rumble feeling under heavy torque

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Ok let me start with this. This all started when I replaced my clutch and here's the story.

Stock the car was just fine. I put a tune in the car and the clutch wouldn't hold 3rd gear on when I gave it lots of torque. It would just slip.

Installed a stock LUK clutch and regular flywheel for the early ALH's and it holds fine however this is when the rumbling started.

It feels as if you're driving on the rumble strip on the side of the road but it only does it a tiny bit in 3rd and a lot in 4th when I really accelerate hard.

Driving normal it never does this.

What do you guys think. Axles? Motor mounts?

I was thinking a year ago when it started doing this that I'd drive it until it got really bad then it will be easy to pinpoint but it has never really progressed.

Thanks for any experience on this.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
I wonder if it is your trans making that growling... I cant think of why anything else would do it under load like that... :? pretty interested to hear the outcome

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
noise there when in gear ? coasting ?

worth swapping the inner CV joints around

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Only under heavy torque in higher gears. Never under deceleration or coasting.

I'm leaning toward inner cv's but I was hoping it would get worse so there's a definite "AH HA!" moment and don't end up throwing parts on the car.

nathan01

TDI
03 golf
I wonder if the centering pins( dowels ) that align your engine to the trans came out when you installed the clutch? Causing the trans to be misaligned to the flywheel? Just a thought.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
The alignment dowels are definitely in place.

I think I'm going to check over / replace all my mounts and see if it helps. They've got almost 170k miles on them so replacement wouldn't hurt.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
Only under heavy torque in higher gears. Never under deceleration or coasting.

I'm leaning toward inner cv's but I was hoping it would get worse so there's a definite "AH HA!" moment and don't end up throwing parts on the car.
Ya it could be your cv/cvs they are tough I have seen people driving them when they are beat to hell. I am sure you could get someone to sell you a used set or hell even give them to you. I had three good sets here till about a month ago when I gave them away. Just sniff around, I'm sure you can find some cheap, to at least test with... the only bummer is that its about 75 bucks worth of bolts, gaskets and nuts to slap the test ones on. :/

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I did some test pulls to try and narrow down when this happens.

It seems to come on at ~1700 rpm's and quits by ~2000 rpm's when at close to full throttle upto full throttle. Never if just cruising in that range.

1st and 2nd can't really tell since that rpm range fly's by so quick.

3rd gear it will do it a tiny but but it's hard to duplicate since when you're on the throttle in this gear at those rpm's you tend to go through that range fast.

4th it will do it every time, comes on at 1700, quits at about 2000.

5th is the same.

One thing I did notice is that the rumble seems to start the instant the ecu starts trying to control boost. As the boost increases all is fine until the boost stops building. I assume this is the ecu gaining control of the boost. After that rpm range is passed boost continues to build upto 20ish psi. Malone stage 3 tune.

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
Mine does it in 4th and 5th until the revs get closer to 1800. I assume its normal, but idk.
Stock engine, G60 clutch+flywheel

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
At this point I'm really doubting it's got anything to do with the cv axles. Now I'm thinking boost control or something.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
in higher gears don't use full throttle under 2000rpm!! ....if you want to go full throttle get the rpms above 2k....it's hard on the rod bearings to put that kind of load at such low revs....that being said the tuner can pull some fuel and boost to help the situation but for the most part it's OE

Last edited:

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
in higher gears don't use full throttle under 2000rpm!! ....if you want to go full throttle get the rpms above 2k....it's hard on the rod bearings to put that kind of load at such low revs....that being said the tuner can pull some fuel and boost to help the situation but for the most part it's OE

I do understand full load at too low of rpm's is horrible and I don't do this normally. If it's the way it is I will contact the tuner for adjustments. Thanks.