Rubber cement on my boost piping?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Would this work at sealing all the joints that are prone to weep oil and/or pop off? I'm thinking it doesn't hurt plastic, it's flexible to a degree and it should seal up joints perfectly. Anyone have an idea or has tried it? I don't mind being the guinea pig with my PD, because at almost every joint after the turbo I see oily grime accumulated, which means I'm probably losing a little boost in those places as well. If not rubber cement, there is a PVC pipe sealant that works well, is waterproof and also flexible. I'd like to do it but I'd also like some feedback.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
fixie said:
Why not just clean the oily joints, apply hairspray, and use T-bolt clamps?
Well, I wanted to use something I already have (rubber cement) and not have to take anything apart or use different clamps. But your idea sounds good too. Ever since I've been running more boost (thanks RC!:D) I've been seeing more weepage at the intake joints than before. I know some is normal and expected even, but it was more than I remember and I wondered what I could do to seal up the joints quickly and easily. Then the rubber cement idea hit me.

Anyone else have any ideas?

cadman1940

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
cadman1940

May I suggest that you use a good dry brake clean like CRC in the red can. Clean both surfaces of joint, I would think that if you use the rubber cement that you would need to determine how long you would need for it to set up properly before using and would the engine oil soften the cement and accelerate the joints coming appart. RTV which is an anerobic and shouldn't be affected by motor oil might be another viable sealant I would however question it's holding ability. Thanks Eric AKA Cadman1940 2003 jetta gl and 96 cadillac deville

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
OK, thanks for the suggestion. I was interested in rubber cement because it's flexible and water-tight. I wasn't thinking about the oil degrading the seal though, that might be an issue. I'm also replacing my boost pipe joints' o-rings. I wanted to do these two things at the same time and be done with it, be rid of boost loss and oily seepage.

What other ideas are out there for stopping boost loss along the intake tract?