Routing cables inside the car? From the engine to the trunk.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
I want to relocate my battery to my trunk so that I can use the space where the battery was to house the WVO conversion (valves, FPHE, and filter). Now, I could route both the coolant hoses and battery cables under the car but that seems to me to be inelegant and potentially problematic.

So, does anyone know of a good place that I can route these inside the car where they won't be visible, but still protected?
It looks like the raised lip of the floor by the doors is good, but I don't know how to open them up.

ellis

TDI
02 golf; 05 Passat; 09 JSW; 10 JSW
I did this on my tdi conversion. If you move your battery to the back, and put a tank under your hood, you don't have to run the hoses through the cabin. I ran the 2/0 battery cables under the passenger side rocker panel plastic housing. Although I haven't put anything on the site about the cables, these pics might help. http://www.benjaminellis.net/benjaminellisdotnet/projects/WVO/TDI.htm

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ellis, thanks. Dost thou think that there is enough space to run two coolant hoses there too?
I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
I've had the conversion kit for over a year now, been researching, adding parts, and chickening out :)
Its a modified greasecar system. I replaced the O-rings in it with viton, the PEX line with thick walled aluminum, added a FPHE, injector line heater, and temp gauge. If I had more space for gauges I'd add a fuel vacuum gauge, but I've already got 5 gauges.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
There is plenty of room along the rocker panel for the battery line.. .

I am note sure on the coolant hoses. On the greasecar kits I have seen the insulation is pretty thick.. . . like twice actual pipe diameter.

they might fit without insulation. but I think you need the insulation.

to make like eaiser, just pop out the front seats and then strip the interior. (just all the plastic on the sides, not the carpet)

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but its not. Especially seeing what you are trying to do.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
yeah, I just had those side panels up when I did my stereo work.. the battery line will absolutely make it, but you won't be able to jam both the battery line and the coolant hoses in there..

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I have no problem ripping them both apart and running a coolant hose down each, BTW.

I'll get to taking my seats out this weekend and running the battery.

Any tips on things to watch out for?
Thanks.

Last edited:

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
just be careful around the area of the b-pillars.. a lot of the pieces interlock down there and if you're a bit hasty yanking on plastic you could break some of the clips. the rocker panel trim comes off in one piece from the A-pillar all the way back to the C-pillar.. and a set of needlenose pliers will come in very handy to remove and reinstall the trim clips that attach it. :) You'll also need a phillips screwdriver IIRC (and maybe the blasted T-15, but I can't remember this late. :p)

hope it helps...

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I'll check my Bentley of course before proceeding, but its basically a matter of removing the seats and then getting the plastic paneling?
Will it be obvious where and how to put a hole in my firewall to route a hose and cable through there?

I'm going to rub down the coolant hoses in lots of Aerospace Protectant (tm) and silicone oil and insulate them as best I can... hate to have to pull them out later.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
(just so i'm sure I'm not talking out of my a$$), you are talking about the side sills by the doors, correct? if so, you wouldn't need to take the front seats out unless you want the extra room to work while you're under the dash (when you're 5'6 like me, this generally isn't an issue :D ). Depending on where you're routing the hoses, the rears might not be a bad idea..

There is a small hole above the accelerator pedal linkage which would be big enough to put the cable through.. you'd probably have to drill one for the coolant hose though. the hole is about as big around as my index finger if that's any help.

Last edited: