Routes to TDIFEST 2006

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
The address for the hotel:
Sheraton Park Ridge Hotel and Conference Center
480 North Gulph Road,King of Prussia, Pennsylvania,19406, United States

I thought this might be a good time to start a thread with People worrying about traffic/Time/Construction.

Some local Terms used.

The Blue Route AKA I-476 Toll Free. (between I-95 Chester,PA to PATK at Plymouth Metting, PA ) local people will use Blue route instead of I-476. The reason is that the Blue route was an Interstate section That took basically 40 years to complete, alot of it had to do with politics.

The Northeast Extension (NE) AKA I-476 Toll. About 15 years when the Blue Route was finally finished to link up the PATK to I-95 They renumbered the NE to I-476.

The Schuylkill Expressway AKA I-76 Toll Free. I-76 is known as this between KOP and Philadelphia

more to come later....

Alot of People coming from the South will be taking I-476 to I-76.
There is a resurfacing project starting tonight 3/14/06 which will last 8 months. Most of the work will be happening at night and I highly doubt the lanes will blocked for Labor Day weekend.

Here is the web site on the work from PEnndot. http://476blueroute.com/phase2.htm

There is an alternate route, from I-95 North. Take Route 202 north.

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
According to the flyer, there are to be no travel restrictions for the Friday through Tuesday of Labor Day weekend.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Thanks for the heads up for those of us coming early

Now I'm glad I'm heading out earlier in the week to TDI Fest - thanks for the heads up on the traffic situation - I'm going to hit that site and see if there is any traffic down I81 and beyond for those coming from the north - I'll check NY too since I live in that state (I'd better keep this note short as soon there might be a NY internet per-char chat tax)

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
brucetmoose said:
Now I'm glad I'm heading out earlier in the week to TDI Fest - thanks for the heads up on the traffic situation - I'm going to hit that site and see if there is any traffic down I81 and beyond for those coming from the north - I'll check NY too since I live in that state (I'd better keep this note short as soon there might be a NY internet per-char chat tax)
I would recommend also checking the Pennsylvania Turnpike's website, since you will probably be using it from the Scranton area inward.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
I 276 construction for those coming from north and east

According to Penn DOT website and Microsoft MapPoint, a section of I276 will be undergoing a road widening project. The section that is being widened is between I476 (Plymouth Meeting) and King Of Prussia, PA.

That's the section you take if you go south on I476 and then go west on to get to King of Prussia.

The construction has already started and is due to be completed Jan 31st, 2007.

Anyone have any further details on this project ???

US 202 might be an alternative. However, for me, it won't be since I'm also coming from a town called Horsham.

Now that I read below - is this the same project that the original thread was about ???

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
brucetmoose said:
According to Penn DOT website and Microsoft MapPoint, a section of I276 will be undergoing a road widening project. The section that is being widened is between I476 (Plymouth Meeting) and King Of Prussia, PA.

That's the section you take if you go south on I476 and then go west on to get to King of Prussia.

The construction has already started and is due to be completed Jan 31st, 2007.

Anyone have any further details on this project ???

US 202 might be an alternative. However, for me, it won't be since I'm also coming from a town called Horsham.

Now that I read below - is this the same project that the original thread was about ???
The I-276 project is one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike's projects.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I have traversed the Construction Zone on the PATK (penna. turnpike) between Plymouth Meeting and Valley Forge. It's actually not that bad. Lane Shifts mostly.

Though, There is an alternative. If you are coming from the East on PATK I-276. at plymouth meeting take I-476 south to I-76 west into King of Prussia. This portion of I-476 is not under construction.

Now everything west of KOP and around KOP is fine.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am making this a sticky.

By Wednesday next week. I will have an update on the Area. Which will, also, include Area Stations that Offer D2/ULSD.

I am adding car washes/auto parts stores/VW dealerships and a very well know VW shop in this Area.

Please note that there is construction on I-476 aka as the Blue route. People traveling from the south with suspensions/lowered might want to take Route 202 from I-95 north.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
My route.....Midwest Airlines! Life's to short to spend 2 SOLID days in the car.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
King of Prussia Area Fuel Stations That have fair prices.

D2:
[FONT=arial, helvetica]HESS -164 East DeKalb Pike King of Prussia, PA 19406
Sunoco -
[/FONT][SIZE=-1]100 W Dekalb Pike [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]King of Prussia, PA 19406
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]US PETRO GAS. 455 W DEKALB PIKE. KING OF PRUSSIA, PA 19406 (el cheapo gut rot D2)
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]BP - 301 E LANCASTER AVE. Wayne, PA 19087
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]BP - 891 LANCASTER AVE. Devon, PA 19333

Car washes:
Self Serve:
Sheraton Hotel Valley Forge - We will have access to thier Shuttle Bus Wash area/hose for show n Shine
[/SIZE] Gentle touch Car Wash - 508 S Henderson Rd, King of Prussia,PA
[SIZE=-1]P[/SIZE]hoenix Softcloth Car Wash - [SIZE=-1]6[/SIZE]56 Nutt Rd Phoenixville, PA

Airport Shuttle Servce:
Tropiano Transportation
http://www.tropianotransportation.com/shuttle/hotels.aspx#King%20of%20Prussia
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]

......more to update later......
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Observation made last may and june during my training sessions for SAP

The best fuel prices that I found were ironically right on the turnpike at the various rest areas. This may not be true as of today, but was 10/15 cents LOWER than anything I found in either Wilkes-Barre or Philly area (I admit I didn't look too hard in Philly).

Use www.gas-buddy.com to find good prices (not a commercial plug - I don't own stock in it or anything - I just use it to find good prices)

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I just drove the PATK last night. There is construction but should not be a problem for the Fest. Mainly, it's no Shoulders, 2 lanes each way. Also They are smooth no crewed up pavement.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
VW Derf said:
Airport Shuttle Servce:
Tropiano Transportation
(215) 616-5370
http://www.tropianotransportation.co...20of%20Prussia

This company is recommended by the hotel and the cost is $24 one way or $43 return.
Be warned. They are cheap but they may make you wait until the shuttle bus is packed and drive you to hotels all over the area.

A cab would probably be $50-$70 each way.

Also, the airport has one of the weirdest ground transport systems I've seen. You need to get a little pager (like some restuarants give when you are waiting for a table) and wait to be paged when a shuttle becomes available.

Checking car rental prices, I see rates between $120-$160 thu-tue.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Here is an idea..................The TDI carpool. Lot of members will be arriving with cars in Philly. Perhaps we can organise pickups for our members from afar who had to fly it. I would be much CHEAPER and pleasant than an alternate option. Post if you need a ride and lets see if we can match ya up with a person willing to pick up

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIinRI said:
Here is an idea..................The TDI carpool. Lot of members will be arriving with cars in Philly. Perhaps we can organise pickups for our members from afar who had to fly it. I would be much CHEAPER and pleasant than an alternate option. Post if you need a ride and lets see if we can match ya up with a person willing to pick up
How many B5's are scheduled to appear?

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
This weekend I drove from West to East on the Pa Turnpike. There is nothing big to worry about construction. It's started at the Valley Forge Exit going east. The Turnpike from the East however does have lane shifts, but no rough roads, I think it should be fine.

The King of Prussia Area locally is for the most part done with Construction. It's all clear.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I have access to a Toureg for Thursday and Friday. If people need to be picked up at the Airport please PM me

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I think I have my pick-up arranged.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Saw $3.05 at the service Valley Forge service area. Don't know about the King of Prussia service area (westbound). Exxon by the mall was $3.25. Flying J in Carney's Point was $2.72. (Fuel prices tend to be much better in NJ if you are willing to pay the bridge toll, and I have seen instances where the best price I could find around here was on the NJ turnpike. Carney's Point is on the NJ side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge - 76 east to 95 south to 495 south, then follow the signs for I-295, then cross and look for Exit 2C. Toll is $3 going from NJ to DE.)

brucetmoose said:
The best fuel prices that I found were ironically right on the turnpike at the various rest areas. This may not be true as of today, but was 10/15 cents LOWER than anything I found in either Wilkes-Barre or Philly area (I admit I didn't look too hard in Philly).

Use www.gas-buddy.com to find good prices (not a commercial plug - I don't own stock in it or anything - I just use it to find good prices)