Rough start, lil bit of smoke, and and engine light

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
So like the title says, Rough start, lil bit of smoke and a check engine light that comes on after the car has been running for about 10-15 seconds. Popping the hood and looking at the motor it seems to be running w/ a bit more vibration than normal. 205k on 01 Golf. Any Ideas? the timing was just done. The light has been a frustrating mess for about 2 months now. Haven't gone to the dealer yet to ask them to check it but every other shop I have been to can't read it.

Please help.

Z

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
With out pulling codes stored, anybody would be guessing. And then you would just start throwing money at it.
Some parts stores provide this service no charge.
As one poster put it "the car is trying to tell you what is wrong .
Best of luck, Glen

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
Someone thought that playing w/ the case pressure regulating valve could solve it... Not sure what that is so didn't let them "play" w/ it. So it sounds like I may need to see a dealer. Not really wanting to do that. Anyone else have insight as to what this could be.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
As stated above get the codes first, then go from there.

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
I understand I need the code. I don't know how to get them. It has been plugged in at shops and the computers can't read the code. The light doesn't come on until its been running for a bit.

jgerni

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2006 NB TDI
Sounds like glow plug issue to me...does the engine smooth out once warm?

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
I took a look for anybody in you area came up with user name Irpavlo he is listed as living in Harrison Mi. This is south of you. As I do not know you or him perhaps you could send a PM. He is listed in the vag.com list.
This is all I can do. Best of luck. Glen

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The codes need to be read and while most generic scan tools should read a generic trouble code a Vag Com type system will provide the most accurate description of the issue.
The symptoms point to a GP related issue, but w/o codes its a guess. It seems as it always takes a while of the engine running for the CEL to come on when there are such codes, so that's typical.