Rough sounds at idle

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
I bought a 06 TDI about a year ago. Had a occasional squeal and a rocky sounding idle... after going through it some I found the serpentine belt to be stretched which fixed the squealing. I have not spent a lot of time looking for the rough idle sounds but it sounds kinda like rocks in a bucket. It is consistent but not constant. I have noticed recently that if I hold the clutch in while in idle it does make the noise. The noise also goes away after 1000 rpms. Anyone run across anything like this?

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
rock in a bucket/marbles in a can, probably the Dual Mass Flywheel. Get it replaced before it destroys the transmission.

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the info. Is napa a good place to order from or is there somewhere else I should look

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thanks for the info. Is napa a good place to order from or is there somewhere else I should look
No, I wouldn't recommend napa for that. Id parts or one of the forum vendors. I'd recommend converting to single mass flywheel. That's my opinion. I've replaced WAY too many dual mass flywheels on everything from a vw to a dodge. They're way more expensive than a single mass and last a lot less time.
Now, those who have the DSG automatic aren't as lucky, because you can't convert that one too single mass...

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
What is the pros and cons of the smf? I know its a game of give and take but that basically all I know. I am trying to figure out if this is something I want to tackle in the front yard or not. Im mechanically sound but I am not a mechanic so I dont always know the ins and outs.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I have done my clutch and transmission replacements in my garage using jack stands. It is almost a typical clutch/trans repair. You will
need a engine cross brace to hold up the engine before you remove the transmission mounts (Harbor Freight has one). Do not expect
to hold the engine up using a floor jack or jack stands, they will get in the way of manhandling the transmission out.
There are SMF kits available that include the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing.
The SMF will make some noise when in neutral and the engine is idling.
There should be some YT videos and other threads on the steps to R&R the clutch/trans.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What is the pros and cons of the smf? I know its a game of give and take but that basically all I know. I am trying to figure out if this is something I want to tackle in the front yard or not. Im mechanically sound but I am not a mechanic so I dont always know the ins and outs.
Basically the dual mass will absorb a bit more of the vibrations, since the flywheel is made out of two main pieces with shock absorbing materials between. Whereas the single mass flywheel is a solid chunk of metal with the shock absorbing being in the clutch disk, which has less mass than the flywheel, so it doesn't absorb as much vibrations as the dmf. It's more for feel, and not for longevity, and the extra vibrations are barely perceptible, and by far better than the vibrations caused by a failed dmf. Some performance clutches have a lot more noise than stock because of their heavy duty design.

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
That makes sense. I'll start looking around at parts. The bad part is this jetta is sitting at 256k miles and has other wear items that I want to hit as well but its a bad time of year to go dropping money like that.

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
Basically the dual mass will absorb a bit more of the vibrations, since the flywheel is made out of two main pieces with shock absorbing materials between. Whereas the single mass flywheel is a solid chunk of metal with the shock absorbing being in the clutch disk, which has less mass than the flywheel, so it doesn't absorb as much vibrations as the dmf. It's more for feel, and not for longevity, and the extra vibrations are barely perceptible, and by far better than the vibrations caused by a failed dmf. Some performance clutches have a lot more noise than stock because of their heavy duty design.
I just watched a YouTube video talking about not getting an ultralight smf. To get a heavy one. Is there any truth to that theory?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I just watched a YouTube video talking about not getting an ultralight smf. To get a heavy one. Is there any truth to that theory?
I've heard the same thing. My alh has a lightened smf with a southbend stage two daily clutch, I don't notice much difference at all with it, but that's comparing apples to oranges, since mine is a performance built engine and an ALH in a golf.

Mozambiquer

TDI
That makes sense. I'll start looking around at parts. The bad part is this jetta is sitting at 256k miles and has other wear items that I want to hit as well but its a bad time of year to go dropping money like that.
Call it an early Christmas gift to yourself... Lol

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I went back to a DMF after having a SMF for about 250K miles. The DMFs are built better than in the past and give you a comfortable shift and no idle sounds.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Hard to beat the Luk Rep Set part no. 17050 from rock auto for good quality at an affordable price. 190 bucks. I've used a lot of them. No issues with stock setup.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hard to beat the Luk Rep Set part no. 17050 from rock auto for good quality at an affordable price. 190 bucks. I've used a lot of them. No issues with stock setup.
One should also consider buying a new pivot ball. Most of the good kits come with that and a new fork and pivot ball spring clip.

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
Does this kit include the flywheel or just the clutch?

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and TO bearing. And all the bolts. It's a steal for stock power engines. I've heard people on here say they will hold stage 2. I'm not saying that. Never tried that setup. It might.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Also. +1 on the pivot ball and the spring clip. Cheap and it's a bummer to pull a trans to install a pivot ball or a little clip. Get oem ones. At least oem quality. I've seen forks with the end punched through. Haven't seen a bent one. I check them for that. Unless the pivot ball goes bad or the slave rod is bare metal the fork lasts a really long time. I ck thickness in the detents on the ends. If they are smooth and still full thickness, I run them. Also, I grease the detents lightly where the rod and the pivot ball engage the fork.

Last edited:

bstrozr1

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for all the input. Im hoping to order it soon now that the holidays are over. And then the fun begins on the change out.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Also. +1 on the pivot ball and the spring clip. Cheap and it's a bummer to pull a trans to install a pivot ball or a little clip. Get oem ones. At least oem quality. I've seen forks with the end punched through. Haven't seen a bent one. I check them for that. Unless the pivot ball goes bad or the slave rod is bare metal the fork lasts a really long time. I ck thickness in the detents on the ends. If they are smooth and still full thickness, I run them. Also, I grease the detents lightly where the rod and the pivot ball engage the fork.
People are price conscious so sellers will strip out parts and make the kit lean to get the price point down. I certainly wouldn't want to be half in the job on a weekend to discover I need those parts and can't button everything up. Local parts stores suck at VW parts. Been there on other things, done that.