Rotors / pads replacement issues

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
in a few words, I acquired a MK7 Golf TDI 6sp recently and decided to replace the rotors/pads all around and also replace the brake fluid. All went smooth , put Brembo drilled rotors all around and TRW pads, flushed the brake fluid with pressure bleeder, flushed clutch as well, everything seems to be working fine except I noted that the front brakes heating up considerably more than the rears. I understand the new pads/rotors will heat up more during brake in period and sometimes smoke and smell, but I noted that the front rims are getting very warm where the rear are cold. Also after driving a few miles with a lot of braking can see that the protecting coating has not even come off the rear rotors fully where the fronts look very shiny and hot. Question, is this normal or am I being too paranoid about it?

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I drove my car 100mi home to bed-in my new pads/rotors and all four corners were freshly worn-in and hot to the touch.

Have a friend step on the brakes and make sure the rear calipers are squeezing. As long as they're not seized, you should have nothing to worry about.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you pull the parking break a couple times after retracting the caliper piston? how's the pedal feel?

You clean the sliders?

Pulling the parking brake once should be enough to clean off the rotors. I'd say try bleeding the rears again as a last ditch effort.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
you pull the parking break a couple times after retracting the caliper piston? how's the pedal feel?

You clean the sliders?

Pulling the parking brake once should be enough to clean off the rotors. I'd say try bleeding the rears again as a last ditch effort.
yes, cleaned and lubed the sliders, pedal feels normal, id have to drive it a little bit more to see in which direction it goes, car is not registered yet so im kind of limited to my neighborhood

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the parking brake feels fine?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Its also possible the prior owner damaged the rear calipers by forcing rather than rotating the pistons. If thats the case, you might want to think about upgrading rear brakes to larger rotor/caliper combo.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
does the car roll once the parking brake is applied?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
does the car roll once the parking brake is applied?
no, when I pull it up 4 clicks it stops, it is a little higher than Id like this to be, my other car stops at about 3 clicks