Rotor Diameter determination

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hi everyone,

I need to replace the front/rear rotors on my 2012 Jetta TDI and apparently several diameter rotor versions were used. How do I determine the proper size rotor for my particular Jetta. :confused:

vwnut20

TDI
2011 Jetta TDi 6spd DSG
Best way is to disifer the label found in your trunk. It has a variety of codes for paint, brake and other stuff.

If you see FSIII, front dia should be 280mm, if you see FN3 dia= 288mm for front rotors.

Rear rotors(installed on a flex beam) dia 272mm

Hope this helps.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Usually the diesel sedans got the smaller rear rotors, but I haven't yet seen an NCS Jetta that even needed brakes yet, and I've had some in here with over 200k miles already. One is over 250k miles, and still all original brakes.

So how did you get to the point you needed to replace them all already???

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I drive on the 401 every day. Enough said. :D

Usually the diesel sedans got the smaller rear rotors, but I haven't yet seen an NCS Jetta that even needed brakes yet, and I've had some in here with over 200k miles already. One is over 250k miles, and still all original brakes.

So how did you get to the point you needed to replace them all already???

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
I just got some OEM VW rotors for the rear, and I wish I would have bought something different.

The surface finish is so horrible. Full circular cut pattern on the friction surfaces, which gives you directional surface to mate with the new pads (not a good thing). I guess even the OEMs cut back on things like double disc grinding rotors to get a good non-directional finish.

The only thing nice about these OEM rotors is the anti-corrosion coating.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Check the part number on your rotors. You should be sble to read the numbers through your wheel on the rear rotors at least. You can verify rotor diameters from there.
FWIW my 2012 TDI has the 253mm rotors.

Does anyone here know if we can swap to a larger rear rotor easily, and inexpensively?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Only failsafe way to tell is pull the wheel and measure them. VW acknowledges they made an error and put 256mm rotors on some Jettas that were supposed to get 272mm rotors. Your car could have either. VIN isn't always a reliable indicator.

Oilhammer, we're seeing lots of orders for brakes on MKV and VI cars.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
Chaoscreature, GTI rear rotors and caliper carriers directly bolt on. The caliper is the same size I believe just large rotor. I will check the extra set I have in my garage.