Ross-Tech support validation

tomclayton

TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
Got my Micro-CAN from an authorized vendor and followed the instructions on the Support Certificate. Entered the short and long SSID and haven't heard peep in over a week. Is this normal for Ross-Tech? Haven't run an auto scan or anything yet, is my unit and software OK to run on my car? I'm just out here in the weeds - can anybody hear me?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You can go ahead and use your interface cable. Just go to Ross-Tech.com and download the latest version and install it on your laptop. The first time you use it it will demand that you test it. Plug the cable into the computer and into the car. Turn on the ignition (you do not have to start the car), and start VCDS program. Press the options button, make sure USB is checked and press the "test" button. It should find your interface, press "OK". With the latest software, it might tell you that the interface's firmware needs to be updated, again click OK and let it happen. After this just press "save" to save your configuration and VCDS is ready to go on any car.
Your cable is already ready to go. The only thing that "registration" is required for is direct support from Ross-Tech if you have any problems. If you bought it from an official vendor, you are registered. The "license" to use the software is in the cable, you don't need anything else from Ross-Tech. Enjoy your new tool (toy?).

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
FYI, we received your registration form successfully and you are eligible for support. Thanks!

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
When I updated my software it has issues finding the interface. Had it plugged into the car and turned on trying to program key fobs. How do I initiate the firmware update that's required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
AnotherPerson;5125668 How do I initiate the firmware update that's required? [/QUOTE said:
Nothing to it... when prompted, just click OK to initiate the update.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do I initiate the firmware update that's required?
press the "test" button just like you have to with any new version of VCDS. If/when a firmware update is required, it will tell you. Just answer yes (or OK or whatever it says) and the firmware update should happen automatically. There is nothing special you have to do aside from trying to test your interface.

Have Fun!

Don

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
When I click test after the update it comes up with an error that it cannot find the interface. That's why I'm confused. I might just have to try to dig up an older version of the software. Since I doubt anything is changing on the old cars we use it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still getting the "Interface: Not Found!" error. Any other ideas?
Does Windows even see the interface? Plug it in (does not have to be plugged into the car for this) and run Window's Hardware Manager and look at USB devices. Does Windows even see anything? If not it could be that the USB driver didn't install correctly. Have you tried re-installing VCDS?

Another thing to try would be a different computer. If you get the exact same problem with a different computer, it could be a dead interface.

...an excellent suggestion. (Ross-Tech is great with customer service)

Have Fun!

Don

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Will they give support to someone who bought it used?

Also can you look in your device manager and post version and date of latest driver so I can compare?

It was installed properly but maybe the driver was too old for the new software.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe. The license is in the interface, so they might not even ask if you are the original purchaser. Worst case is they might ask you to buy a $99 license.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was installed properly but maybe the driver was too old for the new software.
The latest driver is always included with the installation of the latest version of VCDS. If you installed the newest VCDS it also installed the latest driver.

Have Fun!

Don

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
The latest driver is always included with the installation of the latest version of VCDS. If you installed the newest VCDS it also installed the latest driver.

Have Fun!

Don

Is it the driver that was dated 2014? That's what mine had after running the install and the smaller driver install.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
What does your interface say on it, all of the writing? Even if you aren't the original purchaser we can help look into reasons why it might not work. Feel free to email instead of posting if you want.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
What does your interface say on it, all of the writing? Even if you aren't the original purchaser we can help look into reasons why it might not work. Feel free to email instead of posting if you want.

Will get you that soon. It's at another house right now and tomorrow we're changing the turbo on the car. So hopefully I can remember. Can get you the full message it gives on screen too on the windows 7 machine.