Roof Rack MPG costs....

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
The other thread got me wondering if anyone here has removed a roof rack and documented the MPG before/after?

I still have the stock one, and might remove to try to eek out a couple MPG.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Mine went far down like 3-4mpg, not fun watching the fuel gauge dropping that quick.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
When I mentioned that the roof rack takes off 5mpg all the time, I should have mentioned that I have the VW-brand roof rack. It seems to sit pretty high over the car and makes a lot of noise.. throttle position is noticeably deeper at cruising speeds. I think it is less aerodynamic than most other racks I've seen. As far as documented losses go I can only use my memory... but the several tanks I filled with my rack left would have averaged to about 41-43mpg. I remember that most of these miles with the rack installed were at only 55-60mph! Without it I would have been at 45-49mpg.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
When I mentioned that the roof rack takes off 5mpg all the time, I should have mentioned that I have the VW-brand roof rack. It seems to sit pretty high over the car and makes a lot of noise.. throttle position is noticeably deeper at cruising speeds. I think it is less aerodynamic than most other racks I've seen. As far as documented losses go I can only use my memory... but the several tanks I filled with my rack left would have averaged to about 41-43mpg. I remember that most of these miles with the rack installed were at only 55-60mph! Without it I would have been at 45-49mpg.
Yeah i get your mpg with a thule rack with fairing, but my speeds are higher...

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
What kind of rack do you have? I borrow a Yakima rack for kayaks sometimes, and I NEVER drive around with it on without the boats, because it costs me 3+ mpg (even driving slower).

Plus it takes less than 10 minutes to put on and less than one to remove! So easy. I am always surprised how people leave their racks on 24/7 - unless its intentional for style. Lots of that on vortex.

ccs32

Veteran Member
TDI
blue '02 Jetta
I dislike my VW OEM roof rack... The tubes are HUGE and they DO sit rather high on the roof... SO incredibly loud - the vibrations are somewhat offensive (esp on a LONG trip). .

I think that I get atleast a 4 mpg increase with out the racks. I don't keep them on unless I need them. I have a rollo collapsable roof top box that had to have modifications to the connectors so they fit around the thick bars.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What kind of rack do you have? I borrow a Yakima rack for kayaks sometimes, and I NEVER drive around with it on without the boats, because it costs me 3+ mpg (even driving slower).

Plus it takes less than 10 minutes to put on and less than one to remove! So easy. I am always surprised how people leave their racks on 24/7 - unless its intentional for style. Lots of that on vortex.

It's a big West Coast thing too. People like others to think they are really 'outdoorsy'. Hence lots of 4X4's and jacked up 'off-road' vehicles that never see a single speck of mud in their lives, too.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
^^ The rack is often the vehicular version of functional-looking outerwear.

My yakima with bike trays seems to cut 3-5 mpg.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
LOL. I forgot about that. The people that walk around in "North Face" this and "Extreme Gear" that when it's only 50f outside? Pretentiousness knows no bounds.

greiter

TDI
2010 Sportwagen DSG
yakima + bikes

I get about 43 on highways without a rack, 40 with Yakima base, only 35 with bike rack and 2 bikes on top - ouch. loud too. whistling with racks only, whistling and high-pitched singing with bikes.

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
It's a big West Coast thing too. People like others to think they are really 'outdoorsy'. Hence lots of 4X4's and jacked up 'off-road' vehicles that never see a single speck of mud in their lives, too.
Don't even get me started on douchers with SUV's that are afraid to pop those little half-curbs... :mad:

I bet my Subaru sees more off-road time in one week than they do ever.