Roof Rack Keys

Darv

TDI
2006 Jetta
Bought a 2002 Golf 2D w/ roof rack attached. Looking to help my mileage (34mpg US, auto) by removing it, but only keys that came with are the door keys. Any suggestions on removing the racks without too much damage?

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Too much damage to the racks, or the car???

First things first - call the person/dealer you bought it from. It's their problem, not yours.

If not, honestly, I'd suggest you get a locksmith to take a peek at it. The only solution I can easily think of is to drill out the lock cylinders, not something I'd look forward to. You'll need the tool that comes with it as well. (I don't have a VW rack, I've got thule, so I'm not 100% sure about what the tool is.)

Good luck.

KKing

The factory rack is made by Thule. If you go to a Thule dealer they should be able to get you the correct key from the code on the lock. Years ago I worked at a bike shop and we would get a few people a month looking for replacement keys. Or call Thule direct at 1-800-238-2388.

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
There aren't many different Thule cylinders (they might all be the same - you can buy a bag of them at bike shops). Find someone with a Thule rack and ask to try their key.