Roller bearing parts found in oil

Firewalker

TDI
2010 sportwagon tdi
firewalker0070@yahoo.com
Good morning!!
Changed my oil this morning and I found apart of a bearing and 6, 1/4 long x 3/16 round cylindrical roller bearing parts. I also have a piece of the bearing. There was two 1/4 round balls also. There was also part of ring , about 1 inch in diameter after traced.it out on paper to get a size, with notches milled into it like a "v". Could this be roller rocker arm parts? Could they get to the oil pan?

I can email pics if needed.

Thanks for the help!!!!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i would say it's part of the balance shaft idler gear bearing, but your 2010 should have a cjaa which is sans BSM ....what is the production date of your car ? can you find the build tag ? this usually gives the engine code
also your engine does not have rocker arms ...but this is assuming you drive a 2010 JSW as in your sig ...if not, please clarify

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
are those notches on the OD of the partial ring you have pictured ? i'm still thinking these are parts of a disintegrated bsm idler bearing ...i believe the broken ring part may be the core of the adjustable idler and the idler may utilize both ball and straight roller bearings, balls for thrust load induced by the helical cut teeth and rollers for the radial load ....someone chime in if they have another idea

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
How was the car running prior to the oil change? Was the oil light coming on? The bsm sounds pretty plausible- though I thought all sportwagens from '10-'14 got the CJAA which isn't supposed to have a bsm, unlike the CBEA which does have one.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
How was the car running prior to the oil change? Was the oil light coming on? The bsm sounds pretty plausible- though I thought all sportwagens from '10-'14 got the CJAA which isn't supposed to have a bsm, unlike the CBEA which does have one.
my guess is it's either a very early production 2010, probably built the second half of 2009 or it has had a used salvage yard 2009 cbea installed .... it would have to be making a ton a racket

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I dont see why any discussion of what the part was is relevent, fact is you or a shop is going to be pulling the engine apart and rebuilding it or your selling for parts or scrapping the car.

If you have anything like that, it could be one part, or more than one part, regardless you have to take the engine apart to fix it and make sure whatever it was is all out and replaced and why it broke in the first place.

i would sh!t my pants if i saw anything like that come out in my oil change.
sorry dude.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I dont see why any discussion of what the part was is relevent, fact is you or a shop is going to be pulling the engine apart and rebuilding it or your selling for parts or scrapping the car.

If you have anything like that, it could be one part, or more than one part, regardless you have to take the engine apart to fix it and make sure whatever it was is all out and replaced and why it broke in the first place.

i would sh!t my pants if i saw anything like that come out in my oil change.
sorry dude.
it's relevant because the OP has no idea what these mystery parts are, and it's relevant because other non-harmful items have been found in oil pans that don't require an "engine teardown" ...even if this is a bsm failure it can be remedied in situ by dropping the pan, removing the t belt components, crank sprocket, and seal holder ...it can then be replaced or deleted ... so the only irrelevant part of this thread is your post, because it does NOTHING to help the OP figure out what the issue is

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have got to be kidding. Name that fragment in my oil pan is one of the best things going here.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
it's relavant because the OP has no idea what these mystery parts are, and it's relavant because other non-harmful items have been found in oil pans that don't require an "engine teardown" ...even if this is a bsm failure it can be remedied in situ by dropping the pan, removing the t belt components, crank sprocket, and seal holder ...it can then be replaced or deleted ... so the only irrelevant part of this thread is your post, because it does NOTHING to help the OP figure out what the issue is
Yeah man, any time some one needs help, the only thing irrelevant is criticism:(

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
to the OP, just to be clear, your car does not have rocker arms... those rocker arm pics you emailed me are only used in PD motors from 2004-2006 ... your 2010 has a completely different fuel system and does not use rockers for injector actuation

Last edited:

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
If you've had a massive debris generating even like that the motor NEEDS to be torn down and every single oil passage cleaned.

You can't slap new parts at it and expect it to live a long life.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
All the CR 16 valve diesels have roller rocker arms. The roller is about 3/4" diameter and 5/16" wide. One end is supported by the hydraulic lash adjuster, the other bears on the valve stem. That would account for some of the debris. The rocker is pictured here,

https://www.idparts.com/rocker-arm-cbeacjaackra-p-5107.html

That doesn't account for the balls, I have no idea where they came from.
ok, the picture the op sent me was of a pd rocker set... the parts in the op's pan are too large to be from one of the CR rocker arms... and thanks for the correction about cr rockers;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The more I look at the roller rocker arms, the more they look like the source of the bearings(needle and ball). I'd say he has at least two damaged roller rocker arms.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
The more I look at the rocker arms, the more they look like the source of the bearings(needle and ball). I'd say he has at least two damaged rocker arms.
the rockers use needle bearings probably around 1mm in diameter, the op pictured straight roller bearings much larger than rockers would use... the rockers don't use ball bearings either

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
my suggestion is to pull the pan and have a look, the screen needs to be inspected for debris and you can check the idler for slop... for what's it worth my buddy Tom bought an 09' in 2016 with a trashed bsm idler...pan was full of debris although i can't recall what the broken parts looked like aside from the gear having ZERO rollers left, we pulled bsm delete parts from a brm at lkq pyp ... he installed the parts and drove it for about a year before returning the car to VW ...it ran perfect the entire time...i would say you could pull the entire engine down and not find one flake of metal downstream of the oil filter... that's why i think suggestions of the engine needing a teardown are pretty ridiculous...

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
If it was a rocker bearing wouldn't there be a noticeable dead cylinder?
excessive smoke or unburned fuel smell.
One would be able to notice something was wrong instantly.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the rockers use needle bearings probably around 1mm in diameter, the op pictured straight roller bearings much larger than rockers would use... the rockers don't use ball bearings either
Yeah, I guess I was seeing an optical illusion. It would be nice to have some details on how the car was running, what motor code is on the timing belt cover, and what the known repair history of the car is. The buyback would be looking a little sweeter if that's an option.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
bsm? balance shaft _____? Just trying to learn something new. Hope the OP does not have major repairs.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
bsm? balance shaft _____? Just trying to learn something new. Hope the OP does not have major repairs.
yes, balance shaft module ;)... on my buddies 09' it never lost oil pressure but the thing sounded like a can of rocks rattling around and it acted like it wanted to lock up periodically as the super loose idler gear bound up
*tdi's are an alphabet soup of acronyms

Last edited: