Rods for ALH build

noisy1eh

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
New here, what is the budget friendly rods o person can get here in Canada?
have short block to build up and want to add in some protection for the future dumb ass stuff we throw at these ALH’s

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Get better pistons too. There is one kind that can use ALH/ALH style rods that has the improved oil cooling gallery, the asv ). If you go with the slightly lower compression ARL pistons, you can use tapered small end, 50.6mm big end rods( aka BEW/BRM style and get the good piston crown thickness, good oil cooling gallery and lower compression rings). You will need a different crank to run the larger big end like ARL rods.

Douglas

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure what, if any, upgraded rods are still available for the ALH. Integrated no longer sells them,, and I don't think Rosten does either.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Maxspeeding rods are same design as rosten rods…they’ve ripped him off the design big time !

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would keep the bottom end pd130/150 (ASZ/ARL), the crank and rods are the strongest in the 4 cyl engines and 400 bhp they can handle with ease !
If it’s not possible then maxspeeding rods and AWX/BEW/ASZ/ARL pistons will do fine. Some of our American counterparts have made Frankenstein engines:pd block and VE head although some finish blokes on these forums have made 300 bhp with ease from stock bottom end. It’s how you drive it and how good your mapping is to keep torque manageable.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Molnar rods from @Franko6
https://mynorth.com/2014/11/oliver-racing-parts-outfits-the-worlds-fastest-race-cars/

Anyone not familiar with Tom Molnar, he was the face of this project from the beginning in the mid '80's. It seems from the moment that blank stock hit the cnc mill in the shop, Oliver's rods and main caps were a BIG hit with NASCAR. I was always impressed with how fast and famous that project grew, as well as Tom's humility and focus.
Molnar rods might be an unfamiliar name to many, but Tom is certainly no newcomer to this technology and design. If I were in the market for a set of rods that would hold up under extreme duress, I wouldn't hesitate to go with MOLNAR.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
For an ALH y'all have determined to need better rods, it depends on how much better. BEW are a step up and offer the tapered end. ARL/BHW give a substantially improved load capacity( the increased dia. ). Consult your tribology text to see just how much better; the shape of that curve escapes me at the moment. For sure it is not too big so as to have detrimentally high surface speed yet.

Douglas