rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

Mehrl38

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI, 2003 BORA TDI & 2003 Jetta TDI
I will proudly tell you that you are a GOD in my eyes rocketeer928. i wanna see this car in person so bad and wish i could do this kinda stuff to my 2003 Jetta BORA TDI also. BEAUTIFUL car man. you doing an amazing job. Keep it up!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm just a guy who decided to have some fun modifying and spending some cash on his car.

There's only one, true God, and in my unrighteous state, there is no way I could ever claim His title or position.

I'm glad you like my car, though.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
rocketeer928,

How is that DC clutch and flywheel working out? Everything o.k.? Is it broken in yet?

I ask because I'm going to need a new clutch this year And I like what I've heard about the DC clutches. However, I see Bora took them off his web-site.

TIA,

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe there is a supply issue; I would call Bora Parts about this. There was a supply issue when I ordered mine.

My clutch is doing great, no problems at all and still a little grabby in first. I would say it's broken in pretty good by now.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
IIRC, you went with a lightened flywheel. Can you let the clutch out in 1st without using the "go pedal" ( like a stock version)?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I did not go with the lightened flywheel, but rather the 17 lb. SMF. I think if I let the clutch out without pressing the accelerator at least a little then the engine would stall.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
21-22 lbs. is stock weight. With the Sachs stock DMF and a SBC Stage 2 Endurance clutch I can go all the way up to 5th without touching the accelerator. The car will happily chug along at 28 MPH.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Then I must have the 21 pounder... That makes sense because though I don't remember the exact specification, I do remember that it was quite heavy when I installed it. It's a great clutch.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Struck by a Little Ole Lady

This morning, I was leaving a local plaza in my town after going to the bank and getting something at Dunkin' Donuts, sitting at the red traffic light minding my own business. I was probably checking out one of my gauges in the car. All of a sudden, this little ole lady gives me a "love tap" with her brand spankin' new, small Toyota in the rear end. When I looked up in the mirror, she had her hands covering her mouth and these wides eyes probably saying to herself, "Oh mercy me, what have I done."

We both jumped out of our cars, and she is clearly up against my bumper cover. All the while she is flustered, apologizing, telling me that she looked down at something momentarily, and then "bump". I said to her that she probably loosened up on the brake pedal while looking down, and then asked her to back her car up a bit so we could see if there was any damage.

Her license plate was a bit bent and my bumper cover now has two shallow bolt marks in it. I didn't see or feel any other damage, and the bumper cover didn't look misaligned at all. I got up, put my hand on her arm, smiled, and said, "it's OK and have a nice day". Her response was, "Well, it's not starting out too nice".

I'm a softy when it comes to sweet, little ole ladies. Always have been. However, I did write down her license plate number, just in case... I'm not thrilled that my TDI has yet another blemish, but what are you going to do? It's all material stuff that has no eternal significance anyway.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I agree it's all material stuff, but man your back hurts just to think about how many times you've been underneath that car and getting it to the point where you have it now, many and many hours of labor and tireless nite thinking what the next mod is going to be!! but now I have to fix the bumper!!

Last edited:

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i think your car is platinum grey? if so, find a gli that rear ended someone and buy the rear bumper then swap your rub strip.... then just get an exhaust tip

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
Added bonus, your bumper-dent story is a great segway to speak with people about what is eternally significant !!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Trip to Ottawa - 51.5 mpg

My wife and I took a trip up to Ottawa this past weekend to watch a hockey game (even though my Buffalo Sabres were not playing), tour around a bit, and take care of some personal business. It sure was cold up there, but then again, it was cold in CT too.

Best part: The TDI gave me 51.5 mpg in the frigid weather on Blizzak's. Always love breaking the 50 barrier. I got a lot of strange stares over the Deutsch-style license plate, but none of the Canadian Mounties or Provincial Police bothered me.

Geno218

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9 l4
Hey I just went through this whole thread and you guys really seam to know your stuff... I got a few questions if your still keeping up with this post, I'm just trying to get mild preformance out of my tdi... for now:)!!
1. What is a good sized nozzle to run with stock injectors?(a little soot never hurt anyone)
2. I found a egr delete pipe but it only comes with one block off plate. and I'm just wondering if I will be ok without the butterfly valve inside there? Cooler?
3. The bolt in the center of my rotary pump (in the middle of the 4 injector lines)... Will that increase my pressure a little bit if I turn it in or out?

Like I said I'm just lookin for a few mods till I can dump some cash into it.

Thanks guys

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey I just went through this whole thread and you guys really seam to know your stuff... I got a few questions
Hey, I'm glad you like my thread, and took the time to read through the whole thing. About your questions: You'll likely get a lot more answers and advice if you post those questions under the "TDI Power Enhancements" section, and I would even do some searching on your own within the whole forum. I'm not trying to evade your questions, but rather, trying to suggest how you can get the most relevant information.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I have those bolt marks too. At least you got the apology to go with it. Most of us didn't get that part.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I read somewhere on the forum that the Chrysler Sebring mast antenna fits on my Jetta and can receive radio signals better than the OEM whip antenna. Since I primarily use the radio, as compared to other media, I decided to check it out. I stopped by the local dealer and ordered one for less than 5 bucks, including my contribution to Governor Malloy's budget.

So far, I'm pleased. I think the reception is a little better than before.

If you're interested, I bought Part Nr. 5064253AB
I went back to the OEM whip antenna. The Chrysler antenna wasn't doing well with AM stations.

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
I replaced my broken antenna with a lexus IS250 and its been working great!

Nice to have tire sets for different environments for sure! :)

How ya doing buddy?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that I'm going to have to change my master cylinder. Lately, when I get into my car after it has been sitting overnight or longer, the brake pedal slowly moves toward the floor as if a seal is leaking in the master cylinder. There are no leaks, the brake fluid level is fine, and my brakes are working, but I think I'm headed toward a bigger problem soon.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My TDI already has ESP, so I would need to buy the appropriate brake master cylinder (1J1 614 019 C).

I'm wondering if I would also need the brake booster (1J1 614 106 H
)

Last edited: