rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

tydaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2003 GLI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2010 TDI Sportwagen, 2010 Touareg v6TDI, 2005 TDI Wagon, current - 2006 v10TDI
This tread is nuts. I've been following since I first started lurking - circa 2005-6?! Kudos to you!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
LED Taillights Installation

I used the money I got for selling my stock VNT 15 turbo to buy new FK LED taillights for ECS Tuning.

Pulled out the stock taillights.

Here are the new FK LED taillights.

Here’s a picture of the right taillight with all the lights on.

After 11 years, I had to abandon the FK LED taillights and go back to OEM style. The LEDs in the tail and brake lights started burning out.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I finally had time to tackle the new stereo parasitic battery drain issue I have been dealing with. The Pioneer stereo drained my battery to DEAD DEAD a couple of times, since the Jetta wasn't being used much during the COVID-19 work-from-home time last year. I recharged the battery and pulled the 25-amp radio fuse back in January and haven't been using the stereo from winter through spring.

I tried this option from autopumpkin.com and https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/new-stereo-draining-battery.486153/ :

Underneath the dash, I used the switched 75X terminal. The blue wire toward the back is the one I installed to the stereo compartment.

That blue wire is now connected to the yellow wire leading from the stereo connector.

Put the fuse back in and the stereo works again. I had forgotten how nice it sounds!

One thing I noticed right away is that now the stereo doesn't stay on when I turn the key to the off position and until I pull the key from the ignition switch. Instead, once the car is turned off, the stereo goes out. Now I'll let the car just sit in the garage for a couple of weeks to see if the battery drains again. I hope not!!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
The good news: My TDI sat for two weeks and the battery didn't die, so the parasitic drain caused by the Pioneer stereo has been fixed.

The bad news: Now every time I get into the car, I need to press a few "buttons" up front to get the radio to work with my mobile phone. So, it's not an automatic process anymore. Oh well, I'll take the inconvenience over a dead battery.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
While I had my Jetta on jack stands waiting for the new rear calipers to arrive, I decided to make a change to the Oettinger grille. The grille came with cheap plastic grating. As can be seen in this picture, I must have had something fly into my grille, which broke off a piece of the plastic. I think you'll have to have a really good eye to see the broken piece close to the VW emblem, but believe me, it's there (or not, depending on your perspective).

Therefore, I purchased a sheet of gloss-black Aluminum Diamond Mesh Grille. It looks much better and seems to me that it will hold up better.

Front view before:

Front view after:

I was going over my thread today, and when I got to this post, I went "Hmm..." The gloss-black Aluminum Diamond Mesh Grille that I used is now silver. The "black" must have gotten weathered over the last decade. Still looks good, though.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Birdie

I know it's not a diesel... And NO, I'm not going to put a diesel in it...

Last month I purchased a Cobalt Blue 1970 VW Type 3 Squareback, which I plan over time to have restored. I bought it off a guy from California. The link to my new-to-me Squareback nicknamed "Birdie" is in my signature.

After nearly 3 years, Birdie is STILL at the restoration shop. Long story and I've really have had to be patient.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I hadn't known about the type 3's until I saw your post about it years ago. I've been searching for one ever since. Would love to hear your story about Birdie.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I hit 160,000 miles, so I did the usual oil and all filters changing. I also installed a new fuel line from the filter to the 11 mm pump, as the original looked as though it could start leaking soon. A little insurance.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My NIVA Club had their Bug Fest at Fox Valley VW in St. Charles, IL today. There weren't many mid-year water cooled VWs there, but I managed 1st place in the category.

My buddy Pete's powder blue 1973 VW Type 1 Super Beetle Convertible was on the t-shirts, dash plaques, and awards this year.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh!!! My stereo isn’t disconnecting when I turn off the ignition, and my battery is draining dead again. Odd and annoying. I think I’ll have to install a kill switch from that blue wire I added in my attempt to fix the issue before.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have no idea why the wiring fix I did worked for over a year, and then decided to not work. Parasitic gremlins, I guess.

Stereo kill switch installed. Now I just need to remember to toggle the switch before leaving the car, though I suspect that the bright red light will be a good reminder (at night anyway).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The stereo (aftermarket) on my '99.5 Golf developed a drain that was killing the battery. Like your car, it doesn't get driven regularly, If it did I may never have noticed. I pulled the fuse. I'll replace it at some point. I generally don't use it anyway.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Turns out that the toggle switch isn’t going to help. I went out to the car, turned the ignition switch to ON, toggled the new switch, and the stereo has been drawing power for over two hours. So, installing the toggle was a waste of time and materials, and I’m back to pulling the fuse. Annoying!

Update on 26-Nov-2022: I re-wired the toggle switch to kill the fuse electrical connection, rather than the "ignition ON" wiring. Still an inconvenience every time I get into the car, but it seems to be a good work-around to just toggle a switch without having to constantly pull the radio fuse or killing my battery (had to buy a new one b/c drained too many times).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Welcome back to the east coast! Good to see the Jetta is doing well. Too bad that TDI GTGs around here seem to be a thing of the past. Maybe I'll see you at another show in the area.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I still have a son in Western MA (Northampton). Depending on where you are in CT I could drop down that way sometime.