rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Nice addition! But I gotta say those FSDs don't look beautiful.
Depending on if its surface rust or cancer may be time to sand blast and recoat or replace with some news
You sold them to me, Peter! :rolleyes: I've read others complain about the paint peeling like crazy; started soon after installation.

Surface rust. They work fine, so no need to replace. I don't have a sand blaster, so that's not happening. Besides, it's like a leaky roof. "When it's a rainin', it's too wet and slippery to fix 'er. And when it's dry, it's as good as any man's roof." Analogously, when my TDI is on all fours, the FSDs work well and is as good as anybody's FSDs, and the peeling paint ain't seen. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They are 9 years old, so that's not too bad. I replaced my two years ago because I thought one of the struts had failed. Turns out it was a bad control arm bushing making noise. They looked a little better than yours, but had only been in the car about 6 years. But probably had a few more winter miles on them than yours.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. I did warranty mine because I'd thought they'd failed. It wasn't a problem.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Firad 502 Nozzles

I sent my Bosio PP764 nozzles and injectors to Franko6 about three weeks ago after discovering that they were way out of balance and might be contributing to my recent vibration issue. They turned out to be junk and were sent to the metal recycle pile. Frank suspects that the PP764s have been bad for a while now and that maybe my Günther tune was set up while the nozzles were crap-ola. Hard to say, since that tune was several years ago and I haven't had a problem with it.

Frank set me up with these new Firad 502 nozzles. Didn't help the vibration at all.

I went to the West Michigan Fall TDI GTG this past Saturday to have Jeff tweak my RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune now that I have the Colt Stage II Camshaft and Firad 502 nozzles. Jeff had to take my ECU back to Red Lion with him, and I should get it back soon with an improved tune.

While at the GTG, Kirk (r90sKirk) drove my car and seems to feel that the vibration I have should be expected after adding yet another modification upgrade. I just wish it wasn't so annoying at times. Growler seems to think that my new dogbone is so new that it's preventing the engine from moving much (observed while Jeff had my Jetta on while assessing the current RC5 tune), thus transmitting inherent vibration into the Jetta's cabin. I'm using OEM motor and tranny mounts, which I changed out just a few years ago, and a brand new OEM dogbone.

Guess my Günther tune becomes my backup ECU. That's OK, as I got many years out of it, Looking forward to the finely tuned RC5!!

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
It was awesome meeting you on Saturday. Hope you figure out that vibration issue.

I am sure Jeff wishes all Owners were as meticulous as you are.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
One thing to consider doing to help with the vibration if it truely in fact is your dog bone, would be to have your idling rpm brought up to 1000 rpm or so. I'm running a nearly solid dog bone mount 034 Motorsport Billet Dogbone and with the idle turned up you can hardly tell that the dogbone is that rigid, but it sure helps keep the motor in place.

If that's not the issue, hopefully you figure it out.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I'm frustratingly dealing with an engine vibration after the timing belt change & Colt Stage 2 Camshaft installation.

Details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481451
Does your vibration also happen in neutral or only when driving?

If I read your posts correctly.....you installed "a new VR6 driver's side axle" at the same time as the new cam, which is when the vibration started.

I would suspect the new axle as the cause of the vibration before I would suspect the cam.
Where did you get the new axle from?
I would put another known good axle in to see if the vibration is still there.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am glad you finally found an answer, and I hope you find a buyer for your slightly used camshaft. did you number the lifters 1-8 from belt side so that they get installed back in the position where they were broken in in your head?

you could try experimenting with drilling holes in the dog bone rubber bits to return your more plush driving experience. just a thought. or ask if anyone has a used dogbone so you can put some already broken in rubber in your new one.

The dogbone does come apart pretty easily if you chose to go that route.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
3L3M3NT!!!! Your suggestion will cost me even more $$$. I wish I had known about that BEFORE I had bought a new OEM harmonic balancer. Maybe I'll try the Fluidampr after Christmas gifts are bought and paid for. Seems like a good idea, though, so thanks for the link.

Edit: UGH!!! I just now ordered the vdamper Fluidampr. After spending another 400 bucks, I sure hope it's worth it. After reading all the information on the website, it seems like a good idea for anyone who has modified their vehicle.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Fluidampr

Per 3L3M3NT's suggestion, I purchased and installed the Fluidampr viscous torsional dampers (harmonic balancer filled with silicone). Though it might be good for the longevity of my modified engine, it didn't really help with the vibration within the cabin that I've been experiencing since June.

This picture shows the TDC mark.

Installed; I used blue thread locker on the bolts. Kinda cool that the extra hole in the Fluidamper shows the VW symbol. Never knew it was there before.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought it would have done the trick to smooth things out for you. What dogbone mount do you have installed?
One last thing to try before you remove the dogbone, would be to increase the idle of your car to 1000 to 1050 rpm.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s a new OEM dogbone and I never indicated that I was going to remove it . I fail to understand how increasing the idle RPM will help when I feel the vibration at all RPMs while both at idle and driving .

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Tonight I removed the Panzer skid plate and dogbone mount, and then drove the car for a short while to see/hear what happens. The vibration was MUCH, MUCH WORSE. I didn't go far, turned around, reinstalled both the dogbone and skid plate, and the annoying vibration was back to what it was before.

Yup, I've wasted a lot of money and time on this vibration issue. On the separate thread that I started on my vibration issue, it seems Franko6 is suggesting that I purchase a new OEM passenger side mount and installing it with the expectation that that is causing my vibration issue.

Franko6 also stated that the Fliudamper was a waste for my car, but at this point I'm not inclined to removing it after spending 400 bucks on the part.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
If you vibration is always present, might consider checking compression, and maybe try another set of injectors. I have also seen similar vibrations caused by clutches, drive shafts, half shafts, bent cranks, burnt exhaust valves, eroded pistons (too much h20-meth,), wiped cams (not here), and obvious bad/broken motor mounts. Your mounts seemed too tight for a Tdi as I recall. Might just install some old ones for kicks. Jeff

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Jeff - You'll see in my vibration issue thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481451) that Franko6 had me perform a compression check, and all checked out OK. Next, he took a look at my Bosio PP764 nozzles, determined they were junk via failing pop testing and very poor balancing, and then sold me the Firad 502 nozzles. Between the new nozzles and the Colt Stage 2 camshaft, this is the reason I had you tweak my RC5 tune as part of the Michigan GTG.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had my Jetta TDI for a decade this month. When I bought it I was clueless to this engine's real capabilities. Through TDI Club my learning curve was steep and my cash was fleeting due to numerous modifications.

I remember that the OEM intake was full of soot, so the first modifications I did were an EGR delete and a Panzer skid plate.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
New Stereo

This week I installed a new Pioneer AVH-X391BHS stereo.

Why would I do that considering my TDI is 15 years old? When I first bought my car 10 years ago and also got my first iPhone, I installed the VW podcast adapter onto the Monsoon stereo.

I listen to a lot of talk podcasts and other stuff via Bluetooth, especially since the radio reception is really bad with these cars. Well, with the latest Apple iOS software update, my iPhone would no longer recognize that VW podcast adapter.

It's only been a couple of days, but I like the new stereo. I can listen to my podcasts and use Pandora a lot easier now. I haven't tried a DVD, but I'm not inclined to watch a movie while driving anyway.

I got the stereo from Crutchfield and had them do all the wiring connections. I just had to install, which was a chore because of the extremely tight fit and having to remove the glove box to feed a microphone wire to make/receive calls and USB-to-FireWire for charging the iPhone.

Next possible maintenance item is to have a new headliner installed because it's sagging badly. If/when I have that done, I'll have a new antenna base installed to hopefully fix the radio reception problem.

Last edited:

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Great looking car I love the color. Keep up the good work as I like to read this post over and over.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I can't blame you for updating your radio, even on a 15 year old car. You can do much more now with them than you could even 10 years ago. Except for the 2012+ cars I've owned, I don't think I've ever left a stock radio except for what I've had in my Silverados. Even now I wish there was a good/easy way to maintain all the extra Bose stuff in my 2007 2500HD Classic, but I'm a generation too old it seems.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
New Headliner

Last week I had a new headliner installed for $320 at Auto Interiors & Design in Lake Bluff, IL. I thought the price was good and the headliner looks great. I had the guy install my new antenna base, so my stereo reception is now better.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Last week I had a new headliner installed for $320 at Auto Interiors & Design in Lake Bluff, IL. I thought the price was good and the headliner looks great. I had the guy install my new antenna base, so my stereo reception is now better.
Dang that's a great price. I need to have my headliner (currently held up with matching grey push pins lol) but the quotes have been way more then $320 (closer to $600). The headliner isn't super high on the priority list right now but it still bothers me every time I see the pins holding it in place.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
What material did you go with to re-cover your headliner?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I let the installer pick the light gray material that matched the A-, B-, and C-pillar material, as well as the foam material. Looks great and excellent match. Not only was the main headliner replaced, but also the headliner material for the sunroof opening.