Rocketchip stage 3 b4V. Bosio dlc 1019’s work?

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
I have a bv4 that my girl drives. It’s pretty slow all stock at the moment. It seems to build boost pretty fast and hold about 17-18psi like my other tdis, but it’s just slow. Runs great no smoke. I have a used ecu that supposedly has an RC3 chip in it. If I open the ecu will the chip have identifiable markings on it? I’m thinking dlc 1019’s with the rc3 and stock turbo for a zippy, decent mpg, but not too smokey daily for my gf and our 2 kids. Any thoughts and opinions or suggestions is appreciated

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
1019’s are pretty big so I’m sure you’ll get some smoke. I do with my smaller PP520s. Jeff used to put his markings on them so they should be easy to identify. What ECU/chip are they for? The ‘96 can only use the GQ chipsets, the others will throw codes or make the car run weird. I’ve diagnosed a few that were due to suppliers burning the wrong chips for the car.

If you upgrade the injectors to make better use of the chip, plan on a clutch if yours has any mileage at all on it. Every one I added them to had the clutch slip instantly. The power is well worth the effort though.

I'm not sure if he still labels his chips, but this is a RC3+ chipset I had, along with the stock chips in the lower left.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i can help you out if you need :) keep in mind, even if the chips are for that specific fueling, it's very important to get "IQ" right, check all the lines to turbo, and TAKE LOGS. even if a tune is absolutely perfect, if there are any hardware issues, car may feel "great" but in reality, if you look at boost/fueling/etc, things could easily be quite a bit off. you don't know what you're missing until you've driven one with everything *just right* :)

bdiddy

TDI

well here’s what I have. GQ so that’s good. Looks to be marked similarly to abacus’ ecu. And btw abacus, thanks for the reply and all your replies on tdiclub. Many of your posts have been very helpful in the past. So is there a better injector choice? I don’t mind some full throttle haze but I don’t want clouds when just just normal driving. Is the stock turbo alright for rc3? And the clutch is kinda soft already. I’m expecting it to smoke shortly after making changes. And I’m a vcds rookie. But I have access to one. I can adjust iq and timing no problem but know nothing about logging data and what to do from there

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
the tune is absolutely matched to the pump, nozzles and turbo. if you change any of those, for the car to really run right, it needs to be re-tuned. it will never run "right". you may be able to fudge things with IQ, and feel decent, but if you took boost logs for example, boost would be all over the place. mpg may suffer, smoke, etc. although the wastegate tunes are quite different than vnt. not all tunes are well-matched to the fueling/turbo. some are quite poor, actually. in my experience, rocketchips are generally quite good, i've had a few RC tunes myself in the past.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
I’m in the same boat as you. Have an rc3 chipset/GQ ECU for the B4V on the bench and I’m trying to figure out which injectors to get. I’d like the 1019s to future proof my setup as I would like to do a turbo upgrade in the future and they would be ideal for a gtc1549 or something similar. I think it would be really hard for the 1019s to be more smoky than my miled out injectors and the BK ECU I have now! Burpod is totally correct but I’m thinking that I can make it work well enough with rc3/1019 until I get more hardware and a retune for a VNT turbo.
Please let us know what you end up with!

bdiddy

TDI
Well I went with the fratelli bosio dlc 1019 injectors, balanced and calibrated by DBW llc. Fast turnaround and shipping especially right before the holidays. Installed them and the rc3 gq ecu the day after Christmas. Adjusted timing and iq and went for a drive. Rolled into the throttle in 2nd gear at about 1200 rpm and boost came fast and strong and immediately broke traction. The tires were just starting to hook when then clutch totally gave up the ghost. Limped the car home because after one short pull it will slip the clutch at half throttle. Seems really strong. Once the clutch arrives and I drive it in the daylight I’m curious to evaluate the smoke factor (or lack there of). I’m hoping it’s not too bad with the stage 1 calibration on the 1019’s and the rc3 tune.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I ran RC3+ and PP520 on a 1997, 150k mile, stock clutch for years. That was in a 2,500 pound car so the heavier B4V must be a problem as the decrease in acceleration, increases the torque on the clutch. Mine only ever slipped a few times during the summer in higher gears. Jeff at Rocketchip thought I must of had an oil leak for it to slip.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I went with the fratelli bosio dlc 1019 injectors, balanced and calibrated by DBW llc. Fast turnaround and shipping especially right before the holidays. Installed them and the rc3 gq ecu the day after Christmas. Adjusted timing and iq and went for a drive. Rolled into the throttle in 2nd gear at about 1200 rpm and boost came fast and strong and immediately broke traction. The tires were just starting to hook when then clutch totally gave up the ghost. Limped the car home because after one short pull it will slip the clutch at half throttle. Seems really strong. Once the clutch arrives and I drive it in the daylight I’m curious to evaluate the smoke factor (or lack there of). I’m hoping it’s not too bad with the stage 1 calibration on the 1019’s and the rc3 tune.
Bad news about the clutch but good news that she pulls hard at least. Which clutch setup are you going to go with? Let us know how it goes once she’s back together for more testing, please!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Burpod is right, the tune is written for the hardware in the car at the time of the tune. Change the hardware, adjust the tune.

How old are the nozzles that are in the car? As nozzles age they can still spray properly, but flow less fuel. I recently replaced the original (295K miles) stock (.184) nozzles in my B4 that has RC2. Power improved significantly, and it still rarely smokes.

bdiddy

TDI
Bad news about the clutch but good news that she pulls hard at least. Which clutch setup are you going to go with? Let us know how it goes once she’s back together for more testing, please!
I’m looking at my vr6 kit and 22lb flywheel from cascade German. I hope it’s enough clutch. Rated at 300ft lbs. I have this clutch in my b4 and my beetle and love it, but they are also stock. Also doing the rear main seal, clutch fork and some new gear oil. Plus some exhaust work with make the next few days busy.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
vr6 clutch is kinda weak :( an SBC2 daily would be a far better choice. i think there are some sales going on with those... i made the mistake of installing a vr6 clutch years ago :(

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Am looking at the Sachs modified by ACT. 2180 lbs of pressure. Likely to get it in the VR1-HDSS kit which has an ACT disc.

Douglas

bdiddy

TDI
Clutch seems to be holding just fine. Throttle response is phenomenal compared to before. No smoke at all during normal and moderate driving. If I smash on it at you can see a haze in the mirror but it’s not too bad. Sometimes if I’m lugging along and throttle up a lot it will let out a puff before boost comes on. I have never been a fan of coal rolling trucks and the like, but this tdi seems to be a great compromise of performance and smoke. It’s hard to tell it’s a diesel unless my foot is down hard on the throttle. And now you barely breathe on the gas pedal and it pulls like you had your foot to the floor before the tune and injectors. All this go fast stuff went on her b4v. Now my b4 feels slow. Guess I need another set of chips and injectors for that car now

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome!! Thanks for the update.

Did you have DBW increase the pilot injection as well or leave it standard?
Clutch kit is Luk 17-036?
You have me growing keener to spend shekels!!

bdiddy

TDI
Awesome!! Thanks for the update.

Did you have DBW increase the pilot injection as well or leave it standard?
Clutch kit is Luk 17-036?
You have me growing keener to spend shekels!!
Yeah it’s the 17036. And I did not have the pilot injection modified. It’s standard. I read that rc tunes were best for standard pilot injection settings. Idk if that’s correct or what would be best for your car. I’m a noob to tdi performance