Rocketchip stage 1 for a CR140 - anyone have it?

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Trying to get more feedback from anyone that has a stage 1 RC tuned CR140.

I'm consider either RC or malone - cant find a whole lot of feedback on the Rocketchip tunes. A few but not as many as Malone.

thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Have a little patience, I'm sure that Jeff has many happy customers here, but they don't always check for new posts every hour. The main reason why there are more reviews for Malone tunes is that Mark (Malone) has more dealers than Jeff (RocketChip), therefore Malone probably tunes more cars than RocketChip does. However, both are well known and respected TDI tuners and I strongly suspect that both of their stage 1 tunes are very similar in performance. Often the deciding factor for choosing a tuner is about the location of the nearest tuner or dealer.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Do you have a DSG or a manual transmission? You might want to consider a DSG tune as well if you have a DSG.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
There are alot of CR140 RC1, 2, and 3's and custom tunes running around, both manuals and tuned DSG's. Many gassers too!!

Jeep CRD's, Mercedes CR's, and BMW CR diesels too.

;-))

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I had a RC stage 1+ on a PD in a 2005 Passat. Great Tune! Sold the car.

Currently have an RC 1+ and a DSG tune in my daughters' 2009 CR Jetta. It is a great combination. The transmission shifts much more smoothly than before, and sport mode is actually a sport mode. It holds the newly impressive torque much better than it did before.

The engine spins comfortably to higher rpm, pulls smoothly, gets slightly better fuel economy. The felt power from the buttdyno is massively improved. It will happily cause the wheelspin light to flicker in first gear on dry pavement, and will chirp second with authority. Passing is much easier, have not gone past 90mph, but it happily gets to 90 very quickly.

In my experience, Jeff is very easy to work with, listens well and has a lot of suggestions, will easily customize small things in your tune if needed.

Hope this helps.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
thanks - I have a manual so no DSG needed

I am somewhat local to RC (prob a ~2hr drive) so that may make decision easier. The malone tuner that is local to me is in north jersey and said I cant bring car to him he doesnt have the tool/method to do it at his place.

I would have considered stage2 or 3 but Jeff/RC kind of dissuaded me from it due to emissions and not being able to register the car if it got done.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
Hey Jeff- I was just trying to send a message about tunes and your message box on TDIClub is full. What is the best way to get in touch these days?

cheers,
Kyle

celtic psycho

TDI
2011 Sportwagen 6spd manual
I'm consider either RC or malone - cant find a whole lot of feedback on the Rocketchip tunes. A few but not as many as Malone.
I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to decide between RC and Malone and haven't been getting much feedback about the pros/cons of the two.

For the CR140, is there more than just stage one for RC? Looking on their site, there is only stage 1 posted where as Malone shows stages 1, 2, and 3. Did I miss a spot on the RC site?

For me, location is the exact opposite. Malone dealer is about 5 miles from my house whereas I would need to wait for a local GTG for RC. Haven't jumped on either case yet as I am still looking for a solid pro/con opinion.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
There really isn't a pro/con for either. Both tuners are well known and reliable. Most people choose based upon distance from the nearest dealer. If you,re on the fence about gettin a tune, just do it. A stage 1 or slightly detuned stage 2 will keep your emission systems intact and the hp and torque gains for the $ can't really be beat with any other upgrade.

Last edited:

celtic psycho

TDI
2011 Sportwagen 6spd manual
There really isn't a pro/con for either. Both tuners are well known and reliable. Most people choose based upon distance from the nearest dealer. If you,re on the fence about gettin a tune, just do it. A stage 1 or slightly detuned stage 2 will keep your emission systems intact and the hp and torque gains for the $ can't really be beat with any other upgrade.
You'd be the first to tell me this. Thank you! It wasn't a matter of being on the fence about getting a tune; I had planned on getting one. I just wanted to make sure I had done enough homework for myself and heard from other people before I went and got one done.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I love my RC4 tune. Spin the tires in first second and third. Oh only if I am in a jam trying to get into traffic from a dead stop.

Jeff has always given me the tune that fits the what I have on my car and I have been with him for probably 10 years and very happy with his tunes.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Has anyone come up with a way to flash the EA288 via OBD? I decided to go gasser for a while since I only drive 1 day a week, and bought a GTI. I bought a Eurodyne tune kit and flashed it with my laptop via OBD. When I do decide to go back to diesel I just want to know what the options are.