Rocket Chip RC1+..... OR..... Kerma Tune: What would you do?

pgfogel

TDI
2004 PD Jetta Wagon automatic
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI PD automatic Sport Wagon with 50,000 miles.

I can either TAKE my car in to a reliable tuner for a Karma Tune or SEND my ECU 2000 miles away for the Rocket Chip RC1+ upgrade without any kind of hands on assessment of what would be best for my car.

I'm not looking for a race car. I'm just looking to maximize my potential, now that my car has gone off warranty. This is my daily driver, reliability is very important to me. I travel through the mountains frequently and live in a somewhat remote location.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

ANY help here would be MUCH appreciated!

THANKS!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
pgfogel said:
I can either TAKE my car in to a reliable tuner for a Karma Tune or SEND my ECU 2000 miles away for the Rocket Chip RC1+ upgrade without any kind of hands on assessment of what would be best for my car.
You sound like you're baiting us with that statement. Logic would say go local. You will get people who like RC and people who like Kerma. My preference, Alligator, and that's even further away (even though I use Quadcomm in B.C.)

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Hmmm, what would I do? What would I do....?

I would start by using the search feature to find the literally HUNDREDS of threads on this topic.

Unless this is a trolling expedition, in which case I would stay the course :p

pgfogel

TDI
Truly, I'm not baiting, just somewhat ignorant and overwhelmed by the enhancements available. I'm new to all this and unfamiliar with both of these choices. My research suggests that the Rocket Chip is probably the better choice but simple logic suggests local may have the advantage in my particular case. Is this enough to choose Kerma? Is the RC1+ superior enough to send my ECU out and take the chance that all will be well without a hands on assessment? Or, am I actually really just comparing apples to oranges and are both nearly the same as one another?

I'm just looking for wisdom and not wishing to cause trouble in any way whatsoever.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
pgfogel said:
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI PD automatic Sport Wagon with 50,000 miles.

I'm not looking for a race car. I'm just looking to maximize my potential, now that my car has gone off warranty. This is my daily driver, reliability is very important to me. I travel through the mountains frequently and live in a somewhat remote location.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

ANY help here would be MUCH appreciated!

THANKS!
you go the tuning module option, this one is cheap

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261755

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
pgfogel said:
Or, am I actually really just comparing apples to oranges and are both nearly the same as one another?
If they are the same, wouldn't you be comparing apples to apples or oranges to oranges? Last time I looked, apples and oranges were very different.:D

KROUT

persona non grata
this thread will going down hill very fast. See bk if I could edit my post there would not be 2 of them

pgfogel

TDI
Yes., yes I'm well aware of this. They are however both fruit are they not? If they were the same there would be only the ONE choice!

I am not familiar enough of either to speak intelligently. This is what I have come to all of you for. Help and wisdom is all that I seek here.

Why is it you wish to make a joke of this matter. It is quite serious to me I assure you.

sootie

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs for now :-(
No idea on Kerma, I have a RC 1+ waiting for my 2005 PD Tip to install this weekend, I also have to change my glow plugs, update to the steel version.

I will say this Jeff bent over backwards for me, and provided superior support for me and mine. I would be comfortable sending him any of my ECUs.

Which is best its like underwear, everybody has their own preference.

KROUT

persona non grata
pgfogel said:
Yes., yes I'm well aware of this. They are however both fruit are they not? If they were the same there would be only the ONE choice!

I am not familiar enough of either to speak intelligently. This is what I have come to all of you for. Help and wisdom is all that I seek here.

Why is it you wish to make a joke of this matter. It is quite serious to me I assure you.
do a quick search every thread ever posted like this went down in flames. All the info you want is here learn to use the search button it works. Or should we do the work for you.:rolleyes:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
wow Scott is back, good to see you're up again. Scott tell it like it is. Better yet just look at my signature and you will see it is really designed around the RC chip. Mine is a daily driver and I would use nothing but the best and what I feel is the most reliable for a daily driver. Daily driver means at least one tank and sometimes two tanks a week.. Thanks to Scott everything is perfect on ole yeller.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I can't speak to Kerma's tunes cause I have never used/driven one, nor personally know anyone who has. I'm very satisfied with my RC tune and will be going to the next NH gtg to get it updated for mods since the tune.

1st of all you really need to think about if you are going to keep on modding or if it is just a one time thing. Many say "I'm only doing.... and thats it" and then start modding like a fool once they get a taste of the TDI's potential.
As far as support, unless your car gets real radical getting an RC tune done by fedexing the ecm is a pieceofcake, very sure you'll get it, love it, drive kit, and love it some more.
I went thru the same process your going thru now and I have no regrets,
after the tune by yourself Vag-com, best cash you'll ever spend other then the tune.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
I have an RC tune and got it after reading alot of posts with alot of bs in them, situations arise but business is business. I am happy with my choice...do the research.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
RC was ok at first but with all the sending in of my ecu and not getting what i thought esp. when i added injectors i went with Kerma the ability to change my tune myself and really have a hand in my tune really was nice. and no more shipping my ECU over night that would have really added up.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Kerma was ok at first until I got sick of trying tune after tune after tune. Doing all those logs with vag com at illegal speeds get's real old, real quick. Then I shipped my ECU once and was hooked. RC 4 life.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
this is what your going to get by asking this Q. Its diff from person to person. I think all the tuners will make someone happy. they all really help wake up our cars. I would say call them all and talk to them. dis. what you want and how to get there. then make a choice . Heck flip a coin.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
I can't speak for RC or Kerma, but I bought an aligator tune through BleachedBora and I am happy with it on my stock daily driver. And yes, doing those logs was a bit of a hassle, and the only legal way I could find to redline my car in 3rd gear reaching a speed of 75 mph was to use the on ramps for the interstate. But the added torque and boost to my mpg's is worth it.

xiledsavior

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
What would actually help is if anyone who got one tune and hated it would explain what is better about w/e tune they switched to. I've looked through these forums for a while and it's hard to find ANYONE who gets any of the tune's and is displeased, so I would guess you would be happy either way. I personally went with RC3/2 and am astonished at the power I get out of my otherwise STOCK mk4 golf. It's positively addicting to drive now. My advice would be that if you're looking to maximize your potential, don't sell the TDI engine short, it can support an RC 2 easily and an RC3 is supposed to be pretty safe too! (I haven't had a problem, but it's only been a week.) I'm sure KERMA or any other reliable tuner can get you to the max of stock potential too, I just had the opportunity to go to a GTG and get tuned in ~20-30 minutes from RC, so I took it!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Well, that's the problem. I come in here and say what's wrong with Kerma and Ben comes back and says I'm full of $hit and says RC sucks. Then I call him crazy and it becomes a bashing match between me and him, some others join in, some dirty laundry gets aired, and the thread gets locked.

If anyone seriously wants to know differences on tunes that I've personally experienced, they can always PM me. I really don't want to start another tuning war. It's pointless.