Roadtrip !! MPG's and 75+mph avg's

crpntrjo

TDI
,2011 jetta sport wagon TDI ,06 Dodge Ram 5.9, Kubota m-4500DT,mercedes 300D with Lovecraft mod's, ford f250 6.4 l
just finished a 3000 m roundtrip to NY state (after a 140ktiming belt and water pump/serpentine belt service) never drove this vehicle more than 100 miles after buying it in aug., it drove beautifully! uphills it pulls Nicely and I avg'd 39-42 mpgs hand calc'd .watched a YouTube vid where a guy said his mileage was this much AFTER the karma tune ? have to be in the shop for a possible egr valve replacement next week with the car and am thinking of doing the kermatune along with the DSG tune but am still reading and searching for info. the cabin of the car has a number of well thought out comforts like the arm rest on the console being adjustable !! the interior was quiet and calm during times I kept the radio off , I Like to listen to the motor at speeds she stays at for hours and this almost purrs.
500+ miles a day .
kerma tune reviews spoke of better performance of exhaust parts due too higher temps etc but the transmission is a concern ? any trouble with it after others have loaded the DSG tune ? combined the 2 cost $1100+ have ordered the K&N air filter but it's a drop in to the OEM box, seems it's a pretty good design where the air is harvested etc. the transmission got serviced in lockport ny at the dealers for 300$ I hope to drive to the fla keys and other gulf beaches , mine is a base model no pano auto ,no backup camera,But not a fatigued feeling from it's cabin it truly is a Roadtrip Sled.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
just finished a 3000 m roundtrip to NY state (after a 140ktiming belt and water pump/serpentine belt service) never drove this vehicle more than 100 miles after buying it in aug., it drove beautifully! uphills it pulls Nicely and I avg'd 39-42 mpgs hand calc'd .watched a YouTube vid where a guy said his mileage was this much AFTER the karma tune ? have to be in the shop for a possible egr valve replacement next week with the car and am thinking of doing the kermatune along with the DSG tune but am still reading and searching for info. the cabin of the car has a number of well thought out comforts like the arm rest on the console being adjustable !! the interior was quiet and calm during times I kept the radio off , I Like to listen to the motor at speeds she stays at for hours and this almost purrs.
500+ miles a day .
kerma tune reviews spoke of better performance of exhaust parts due too higher temps etc but the transmission is a concern ? any trouble with it after others have loaded the DSG tune ? combined the 2 cost $1100+ have ordered the K&N air filter but it's a drop in to the OEM box, seems it's a pretty good design where the air is harvested etc. the transmission got serviced in lockport ny at the dealers for 300$ I hope to drive to the fla keys and other gulf beaches , mine is a base model no pano auto ,no backup camera,But not a fatigued feeling from it's cabin it truly is a Roadtrip Sled.
I lmao when I saw K&N air filter.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
500+ miles a day .
Send the k&n filter back. If you look over in the tdi performance section there is a good thread with data on the k&n and other oiled filters in tdis. The consensus is that they're not good. They foul up the maf sensor and let too much particulate matter in causing the engine to be "dusted".
Kerma tuning can help, but if you ever want to do a delete, you'd have to go with someone else, and the emissions warranty will be voided.

crpntrjo

TDI
,2011 jetta sport wagon TDI ,06 Dodge Ram 5.9, Kubota m-4500DT,mercedes 300D with Lovecraft mod's, ford f250 6.4 l
Send the k&n filter back. If you look over in the tdi performance section there is a good thread with data on the k&n and other oiled filters in tdis. The consensus is that they're not good. They foul up the maf sensor and let too much particulate matter in causing the engine to be "dusted".
Kerma tuning can help, but if you ever want to do a delete, you'd have to go with someone else, and the emissions warranty will be voided.
definitely jumped the gun ,the dyno graphs are telling.
I'll be sending it back thanks.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
definitely jumped the gun ,the dyno graphs are telling.
I'll be sending it back thanks.
Those dyno graphs aren't on a tdi.
I believe on some naturally aspirated cars they can have some gains (which is what those dyno graphs are of) but on a turbocharged diesel there is no gain, and on a tdi there is negative gains.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I tuned my '13 Passat with a Kerma tune last July and saw healthy mpg gains- roughly 4-6 percent and am getting 49 -53 mpg tank to tank for the last 3000 miles. Highly recommend it. I have not seen the need for any DSG tune with the engine tune in, as I drive it normally, or shift manually if I want to shift earlier. Can't justify the spendy cost for the DSG tune. Before I tuned it I was at about 44 mpg at 70 mph highway cruise, probably closer to 47 now. Car pulls strongly on hills, and sounds great too.

crpntrjo

TDI
I agree, just drove it in sport mode for the first time and it pepped up nicely.I am reluctant to mess with it . the motor tune is definitely happening before the next road trip , liked what I've read about the exhaust system performing better and mpg's , just recovering from the VCDS experience of loading it on the laptop and navigating the functions/etc will take awhile I have not used windows in years ....then I will load the kerma tune.
this is a fun car to drive.

crpntrjo

TDI
Those dyno graphs aren't on a tdi.
I believe on some naturally aspirated cars they can have some gains (which is what those dyno graphs are of) but on a turbocharged diesel there is no gain, and on a tdi there is negative gains.
have used them for years Harley,dodge 5.9,318cu,etc was not a problem I was aware of. not worth the trouble on these TDI motors if so many felt it was harmful ?