Road trip distance?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just did a quick down and back to Niceville, FL. My wife needs a professional license for Florida, needed fingerprints to complete the application, and we could find no one in between here and there that would do them. Ugh.

Her auto NB with 17" snow tires on Audi fat five wheels went down and back, a little noisy, but no problems at all and averaged right at 40 mpg for the trip. We were actually in Niceville for only a few hours. But we did manage to visit her son and his family and stick our pale bodies in the ocean for a short period of time. Very nice. We're ready to move.

It was 2700 miles total, I think, and less than $200 for fuel. We did OK.

Cheers,

PH

gkgk

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
Road trip with error code P0380

Hi everyone,

I have a VW Beetle 2001 TDI and my engine light turned on about couple weeks ago. Mechanic took a look at it and found error code p0380 which related to the glow plug failure. I checked the voltages on the 4 glow plugs and 3 of them read 0.0 and the last one was 1 (looked like an error reading cause the number was on the far left of the meter screen).

I am supposed to take a trip of 8 hours from California to Oregon next week. I don't wanna pay for the mechanic cause I think I can fix it if I have time.

It might be that I am not reading the glow plugs right, or that I need to replace the harness.

I was riding the car like normal around town and it didn't have a problem in the past 2 weeks although the engine light is still turned on.

Does anybody recommend/not recommend going on a road trip while the car is in this condition? I feel like since it's related to the heater and I'm not going to a cold place it should be fine. But I am scared that the faulty glow plugs or harness might cause a bigger problem after 8 hours of drive in one day.

Thoughts anyone? This is my first car and I have never needed to pull over on a road trip by myself. A little scared but still want to try.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
You should be OK and changing the flow plugs is super easy; where are you located?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This time of year, you won't need the glow plugs. If that is really the cause of the mil, I would not worry about it. Changing the plugs is very easy. Probably less than 15 minutes, start to finish. Changing the harness is a little more involved.

gkgk

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
I thought the warm weather would not cause a problem as well. I found out yesterday that my harness is damaged - the tips are separating a little. Supposedly the harness is not supposed to have air coming through it. I will change the plugs just in case but the harness won’t arrive on time nor I have the tools to reach out to it’s bottom where the 4 pin part is connected. I can’t even locate it right now.

I’m based in San Francisco. The labor here is so expensive that’s why I chose to not go to the mechanic.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I thought the warm weather would not cause a problem as well. I found out yesterday that my harness is damaged - the tips are separating a little. Supposedly the harness is not supposed to have air coming through it. I will change the plugs just in case but the harness won’t arrive on time nor I have the tools to reach out to it’s bottom where the 4 pin part is connected. I can’t even locate it right now.
I’m based in San Francisco. The labor here is so expensive that’s why I chose to not go to the mechanic.
Just north of you in San Anselmo is guru Matt Phelan who works out of Auto Haus II
Address: 640 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, San Anselmo, CA 94960
Phone: (734) 717-7527
Email: mattgtr@gmail.com

He is on this site as Matt-98AHU

I drove from Oroville and did a RON in San Rafael so I could have him do a major service on my Jetta last Fall.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
If you have not changed the harness I think I remember how I did mine years ago. Send me a pm

cApTgOoFy

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen
I am currently traveling from NJ and have made it to RI. Now I am about to pack up and head over to OH for a few days. Afterwards we are headed to KY and TN. Then we are headed back to NJ. All this on a new to me as of 7/29/2020, 2014 Jetta TDI Sportswagen. So far it has been a blast to drive and I’m averaging about 40-42 mpg.

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
This past month i took a trip to the south western part of Georgia, roughly 2000miles total. The ol Jetta did great on mileage considering i had a passenger and luggage for two people in the car (47mpg average if i remember correctly.) I did notice that when i was ripping it around the one day with my cousin that it was blowing a lot more smoke than usual. I assumed it was from the fuel (filled at Shell in SC) but recently it occurred to me that it could've gotten a bit coked up from cruising at 60-80 the whole way down from Pa, not sure if that could cause it. Either way since the trip it hasn't really smoked any more than normal. Oh, and it was indeed a great road trip. ?