RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
How did you get HD2 channels? I haven't been able to figure it out

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Setup > Radio: There will be a checkbox to enable HD Radio.

Press the Band button on the side to get back to the radio screen. Along the bottom row of soft buttons, press Stations. If there are secondary HD channels, they will be shown there. If a station is broadcasting HD, the HD radio icon will show up on the top of the radio screen.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Ah damn nothing there. Regular stations show up with the HD Radio icon but I don't see HD2 stations listed.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The variable delay *IS* normal for the RNS. When the car is just shutdown briefly, it keeps running anticipating more use. After time, it fully powers down to save power, and thus takes a bit longer to come up. Your mileage may vary, but with my driving habits, it's pretty rare for the camera to not be ready when I need it, and I think it may depend on what mode the unit is in at start, and possibly firmware (I am on the latest in both our Passats).

Can't speak to audio on alt-HD stations, since I have never used one. Overall, I find the unit decent and far better than anything that ever came from Bose for, instance (but then again, that bar is prety low) . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

Spassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
RNS510 NAV crash after try download v11 maps

Tried to download version 11 maps from DVD obtained from HERE/Navteq to my RNS510 in my 2013 Passat SEL Premium. Followed instructions that came w/DVD and left DVD in slot during multi day trip from Virginia to Maine. Finally pushed eject and DVD removed from system w/out any on screen messages. Tried to see maps - got error message not available. Tried to load destination in NAV nothing happened either from memory or new destination.

Called HERE help number on DVD case and booklet they tried several things incl system reset but nothing worked. HERE told us to take to dealer which we did after 2 week trip. Dealer said probably need system update but didn't have update DVD which was lost. Told me to contact VW CARE and get/borrow disk as dealer unable to contact consumer help and VW SERVICE no longer had disk available to dealer (??) VW CARE apparently doesn't have disk either.

Not sure what I need, but based upon info I have seen in this Forum I would need to update software system to 4366 which is latest for HDD hardware I apparently have. This is Version Information displayed upon holddown of SETUP key:

Delivery Part Number 3C0035684G
HW-version H01
SW-version 3696
Active map coverage North America
Active map supplier Navteq
Map version DVD 8407

Looking for help - preferably someone fairly close geographically - to download latest system update (4366 ?) and install version 11 maps
Loki/Wolf you still on here?

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
Tried to download version 11 maps from DVD obtained from HERE/Navteq to my RNS510 in my 2013 Passat SEL Premium. Followed instructions that came w/DVD and left DVD in slot during multi day trip from Virginia to Maine. Finally pushed eject and DVD removed from system w/out any on screen messages. Tried to see maps - got error message not available. Tried to load destination in NAV nothing happened either from memory or new destination.

Called HERE help number on DVD case and booklet they tried several things incl system reset but nothing worked. HERE told us to take to dealer which we did after 2 week trip. Dealer said probably need system update but didn't have update DVD which was lost. Told me to contact VW CARE and get/borrow disk as dealer unable to contact consumer help and VW SERVICE no longer had disk available to dealer (??) VW CARE apparently doesn't have disk either.

Not sure what I need, but based upon info I have seen in this Forum I would need to update software system to 4366 which is latest for HDD hardware I apparently have. This is Version Information displayed upon holddown of SETUP key:

Delivery Part Number 3C0035684G
HW-version H01
SW-version 3696
Active map coverage North America
Active map supplier Navteq
Map version DVD 8407

Looking for help - preferably someone fairly close geographically - to download latest system update (4366 ?) and install version 11 maps
Loki/Wolf you still on here?
I might still have a 4366 disc, I will try to remember to check at lunch. If I don't get back to you, feel free to ping me as a reminder.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
While it can't hurt to bring the firmware up to 4366, I am not aware of any dependency that it needs to be updated to run any version of maps . . .

Spassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I might still have a 4366 disc, I will try to remember to check at lunch. If I don't get back to you, feel free to ping me as a reminder.
Josh? Do you have system 4366 upgrade disk?

Took car to dealer they couldn't upgrade system as didn't know how or didn't have new system disk. Also couldn't fix so maps downloaded. Navigation works ok as long as latest map DVD is loaded in slot. Of course, that means that CD player cannot be used at same time. VW says if Map DVD good then only solution is to replace radio. Am sending Map upgrade DVD back to HERE they will provide new one. They will analyze previous disk they sent which we have been working with to see if something wrong with it preventing download.

I would still like to upgrade system to 4366 from current 3696

Spassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
While it can't hurt to bring the firmware up to 4366, I am not aware of any dependency that it needs to be updated to run any version of maps . . .
Thanks for reply. I believe you are correct. Current status of problem is that Navteq/HERE DVD may be defective or missing download program.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
What messages/screens did you get when you put the disc in? I can't recall exact specifics, but ultimately I got a progress bar on the screen showing progress . . .

In any case, it recognized the disc at least once, or it would not have wiped the old maps in preparation to load. Also, have you tried a hard reboot and then try again, just incase some update process is spining?

Spassat

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
What messages/screens did you get when you put the disc in? I can't recall exact specifics, but ultimately I got a progress bar on the screen showing progress . . .

In any case, it recognized the disc at least once, or it would not have wiped the old maps in preparation to load. Also, have you tried a hard reboot and then try again, just incase some update process is spining?

No Progress Bar Just msg to use DVD or Save Nothing else!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
So what did you select? I don't recall that question, but that might be the older FW. I assume 'save'?

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
So I've got another problem

I bought a V11m map DVD and it says DVD ERROR after I put it in the slot. I tried to get my f/w and map data but pressing the SETUP button doesn't do anything.
Do I need to use VCDS and put it into diag mode or something?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope - sounds like the disc and your drive just plain hate each other . . . May well be a failing or out of spec drive in the RNS . . . To get the version information, it is possible that your head does not have that mode enabled, and yes, that requires VCDS - the procedure is in the stick.

kurtisk

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, red on black, Stock; 2000 New Beetle TDI Auto swapped for 5spd, Cybergreen on Black, PSI Power Box; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI, red on tan; 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI Premium Edition, pearl white on black leather
The unit is from a 2015 Passat, 3C0035684 N is the part number. Currently it won't power on. I would like to know if it can be repaired.

Here is the saga:

Initially the unit started having problems with the unit not starting up properly, couldn't get to media and would ask for a navigation DVD. If I rebooted it (<>* buttons), it would start working properly. Seemed like a 'cold' vs 'warm' boot problem like I see on computers sometimes. Within a week or 2 it started working again and I thought it healed itself--I was even able to update the maps to the V11 with no problems. A month later, right after I ordered the SWL v5382 disk, it started acting up and then wouldn't even work when I reboot.

I tried to install the SWL v5382 with no success. Even the DVD seemed to have a problem. I received an error message:

SWL CD detected but invalid Clamp State - please remove the CD and either a) change the clamp state to Hour Mode and re-insert the CD or b) press any of the Menu buttons to continue with normal operation

Then it when through a phase of resisting taking the DVD, then not ejecting it until later in the week when my wife would drive the car. I forced the unit into SWL mode (eject+STAR+Guide), but I couldn't get it to take the disk. I pushed pretty hard and with wiggling can insert the disc manually, but the unit wont take it in, when driving the car I eventually get a "cd/dvd error, check cd/dvd" message. The unit was malfunctioning and the SSD did not seem to be functioning as the screen would say "insert a navigation DVD" or similar. If I press media, I would get the 'system starting' message that would never change. Radio worked, Backup camera worked, the phone worked, music on the SSD card would play when inserted, eventually the map nav buttons would sometimes come up with the request for a dvd (which I had but was reluctant to insert), but mostly the nav would move the blue bar to full as it loaded and then just hang there.

Reading led me to buy a new CD/DVD and hard drive. I chose a SSD with a PATA adapter. I tried both duplicating the original SSD (which worked inside my PC) to the new SSD and also leaving the new SSD unformated. (I reengineered the system to allow me to swap the HDD without disassembling the unit). The new drive behaved as the original. I couldn't get the SWL disk to run, even with the new drive--accepted the disk, but then acted like it couldn't read it.

Finally, I decided to buy a HDD for $16 for fun. After I installed this, the SWL disc started to run, but hung updating the HDD. I tried the original disc with no success. I put the new SDD in and it didn't work in either a duplicated or unformatted state. When I looked at the cheap amazon PATA adapter, I wondered if the pins were not getting inserted correctly (the RNS510 doesn't have the blocked pin to insure alignment). I inserted it 1 pin off and turned the unit on and it has not powered on since--I removed the new ssd and installed the original and the HDD, but the unit won't power on. I checked the fuse on the unit and the fuses in the box.

I suspect the main board is the problem, both before and after installing the new SSD one pin off. I suspect it is bricked and unrepairable. Any other suggestions? Anyone know someone who can fix it? hamilgs, is 'Peter' in your post the guy from the ebay link to seller 'extremenetwork'? (I have contacted them directly)

Last edited:

csft84a

TDI
2015 Passat, 2011 Jetta
If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I have 2 quick questions regarding firmware, and would appreciate any help:

1) Is 5382 still the newest firmware version?

2) What is best source(s) for obtaining the firmware update discs?

Thank you.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
So I got an RNS510 with no revision. Upgraded the maps using the DVD I bought as previously stated. Took awhile but it worked.

Put my "A" revision back in and it still gives a DVD update error. I also can't get into the test mode by holding the Setup button.

Thoughts?

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I have 2 quick questions regarding firmware, and would appreciate any help:

1) Is 5382 still the newest firmware version?

2) What is best source(s) for obtaining the firmware update discs?

Thank you.
I followed post #1096 in this thread. I was very pleased with the results. You must determine which is the correct CD for your unit (SSD or Mechanical drive). The ebay source instructs you how to do this

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
Voice control functions RNS-510 Firmware Ver 5238

We recently purchased a 2012 Passat and a 2013 Passat. The 2013 Passat has firmware version 3696, which is as slow as molasses and the voice control only functions with the telephone. The 2012 Passat has firmware version 3690; the Nav is much faster to respond and the voice control works with the Nav.

Looking to update the firmware on the 2013 Passat to 5238 to improve the speed, but I wonder which functions voice control operates with the 5238 firmware update.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
You can turn on voice control on any version with VCDS. VW had disabled it on the 2013 (at least, and beyond) due to their having issues with it, but I have turned it back on.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
We recently purchased a 2012 Passat and a 2013 Passat. The 2013 Passat has firmware version 3696, which is as slow as molasses and the voice control only functions with the telephone. The 2012 Passat has firmware version 3690; the Nav is much faster to respond and the voice control works with the Nav.

Looking to update the firmware on the 2013 Passat to 5238 to improve the speed, but I wonder which functions voice control operates with the 5238 firmware update.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
I am in Waynesboro PA. I have a VCDS you can buy or borrow if you want.

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
Update from 3696 to 5382

Do I understand correctly that with a 2013 Passat with firmware version 3696 (guessing unit E-J) that I could only update to 4366 and not 5382?

Has anyone had this firmware update performed at the dealership? I’ve called two dealerships and am getting nowhere. One dealership doesnt know what version of firmware they have and whether they can update mine from 3696. At the second dealership, the service manager has said that they have never updated firmware before on an RNS-510, don’t know the answer, and I am recommended to bring the car in for half a day.

Finally, VW Customer Care couldn’t assist and recommended that I take the car in for diagnosis. It seems silly that I would have to pay for a diagnosis to learn what I already know, that the firmware needs updating.

If anyone has had the work performed at a dealership, can you kindly share your experience and the cost?

TIA

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
Update firmware from 3696

I’m looking to update the firmware, not maps. The navigation updates on vw.navigation.com won’t fix the bugs with version 3696, would it?

dna007

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL
Finally after 3 years "Here Maps" former "Navteq" decided to release new maps on October 21st 2018

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8534
Date: 16.5.2018
db: NA(2018Q1)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.810.2.84
Customer Version: V12
Customer: 1627386654
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2018020002
SVD: EDB_20180214
TMC: 20180112
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

-Cheers,

Peter
ExtremeNetwork

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
Has anyone had their RNS-510 firmware updated from their 2013 Passat firmware 3696 performed at the dealership? If so, what was the cost?

Any chance that updating the maps would speed up the responsiveness?

TIA

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
Technical service Bulletin TT-91-13-01

Does anyone have a spare copy of the firmware update DVD for the Technical
service Bulletin TT-91-13-01 (from Sept 2013)? Or know where one can be procured?

We just bought a CPO 2013 VW Passat SEL Premium, and the navigation system is as slow as molasses and freezes constantly.

Neither the previous owner, nor the dealership apparently uploaded the free DVD from VW Customer Care for the service bulletin in order to correct the speed and responsiveness of the RNS-510. We weren’t given the DVD upon purchasing the vehicle either.

I have a copy of the September 2013 letter from VW to Passat owners regarding the Technical Service Bulletin with the instructions on how to upload the Navigation DVD, but neither VW Customer Care nor the dealerships
in my area can help me to procure a copy of the free DVD. VW Customer Care recommends that I take it to the dealer for a diagnosis ($159), but VW has already diagnosed the problem in 2013 and provides a free DVD to correct the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Passaters

TDI
2013 Passat
I’m very happy to do it myself following the Technical Service Bulletin. I’m not interested in taking any risks and bricking the system.

I’m looking for the firmware update DVD referenced in TSB TT-91-13-01. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.