RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ahhh crap, i hate it when i make assumptions, I didn't realize there was so much difference between RNS-315 and the 510.

Best of luck.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I've yet to work out how to minimize the rear view camera delay. It's all over the place, from very rarely almost immediate, to sorry, too late, to be of any use.

Is the HD a mechanical drive or is it a very slow SSD?

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Depends on the year and model as to the drive type, both were used. Frankly, I'm not convinced the drive is as much a factor as the processor. Note that later map data supposedly was reorganized to help speed things up. Camera speed at startup is someehat affected by whether the radio has gone fully to sleepor not, and somewhat, I thiink, by what mode you are in. My car teends to pive on FM radio, and the camera tends to be pretty quick, so not much software to load for FM . . .

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Depends on the year and model as to the drive type, both were used. Frankly, I'm not convinced the drive is as much a factor as the processor. Note that later map data supposedly was reorganized to help speed things up. Camera speed at startup is someehat affected by whether the radio has gone fully to sleepor not, and somewhat, I thiink, by what mode you are in. My car teends to pive on FM radio, and the camera tends to be pretty quick, so not much software to load for FM . . .
Thanks for your insight. I think you may be right about the processor. My experience is: from a cold start, only if the system is off does the camera come on with a barely acceptable delay. If the FM is on, there's a further delay. However, if the car has been driven and then parked, as for an errand, then on restart, even with radio on, the camera may come on instantly — but not all the time. That's what makes it all so annoying. It'd be great if VW knew how and would tell us how to minimize the camera delay.

Being in any other make of vehicle and see its rear view camera come on instantly, one can only shake one's head.

sailor55

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen
Greetings all. I have a 2015 RNS 510 N version (P/N 3c0 035 684N) that shows
HW- H26, SW- 5378 and map version 8112 (V.8 for North America).
I know the maps are out of date (V.11 latest?) so my question is, can I or should I upgrade the HW or SW to enhance performance?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Thanks for your insight. I think you may be right about the processor. My experience is: from a cold start, only if the system is off does the camera come on with a barely acceptable delay. If the FM is on, there's a further delay. However, if the car has been driven and then parked, as for an errand, then on restart, even with radio on, the camera may come on instantly — but not all the time. That's what makes it all so annoying. It'd be great if VW knew how and would tell us how to minimize the camera delay.

Being in any other make of vehicle and see its rear view camera come on instantly, one can only shake one's head.
I have the RCD510. I was thinking about upgrading the RNS510 if I could find a good deal on one, but this would be a negative to me. I kind of like having the backup camera and it works instantly for me.

I like most everything about the RCD510 except that it automatically plays music over bluetooth every time it connects. That drives me crazy.

FMinMI

TDI
Greetings all. I have a 2015 RNS 510 N version (P/N 3c0 035 684N) that shows
HW- H26, SW- 5378 and map version 8112 (V.8 for North America).
I know the maps are out of date (V.11 latest?) so my question is, can I or should I upgrade the HW or SW to enhance performance?
5382 was the newest firmware I heard about so it is newer than what you have, but by only one version.

Maps are at V11 so that could make a difference if you travel to large cities that have had highway updates in the past 2 years. If you live in a small city and don't plan on taking your car to large metro areas, you would probably be OK with what you have...

Frank in Michigan

kurtisk

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, red on black, Stock; 2000 New Beetle TDI Auto swapped for 5spd, Cybergreen on Black, PSI Power Box; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI, red on tan; 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI Premium Edition, pearl white on black leather
Autoplay Bluetooth

I have the RCD510. I was thinking about upgrading the RNS510 if I could find a good deal on one, but this would be a negative to me. I kind of like having the backup camera and it works instantly for me.

I like most everything about the RCD510 except that it automatically plays music over bluetooth every time it connects. That drives me crazy.
On the RNS510 there is a setting under the setup/bluetooth menu for 'automatically play bluetooth audio'--or something similar. If you uncheck it then the unit stops playing your phone every time to start the car. You should/may have a similar setting.

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
I'm in a '13 Passat Highline. Pricing the updated Maps Disc I found $125 plus $24 shipping.
My question is: Is this a one use Disc or could I contact another Owner requiring a Maps Update(right now only May2016 is available) and 'share' with them?

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
I'm in a '13 Passat Highline. Pricing the updated Maps Disc I found $125 plus $24 shipping.
My question is: Is this a one use Disc or could I contact another Owner requiring a Maps Update(right now only May2016 is available) and 'share' with them?
Check places like eBay and Amazon. There are guys that do that for ~$30.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe sharing is encouraged.

Sharing is caring ;)

FMinMI

TDI
The V10 disc had no self-destruct or required registration feature, but it is meant to be used only by the purchaser. Sharing or selling the used disc while still using the data that was provided on it would in a court of law be copyright infringement, no different than copying and selling DVD movies or operating systems. The only way to legally sell it is if your RNS510 dies / gets scraped. Not sure how the law works if you buy version '12' and decided to sell V11 (or older).

BTW, in the event you have a problem with your RNS510 (where the files on the HD got corrupt), you would need that disc to reload the data.

Frank

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet your fun at parties ;)

FMinMI

TDI
I bet your fun at parties ;)
Just stating the facts. It is a bummer that they charge so much and/or that VW doesn't give free updates, even under warranty. Only Tesla does or aftermarket units that use open source mapping...

Cheers.

Frank

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
I have an RNS-510J, H21, SW 4369. That SW version seems a bit at odds with the info on page 1. Any suggestions about how high a SW level I might go to?

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Highest firmware revision depends on which model of RNS-510 you have. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

There he gives firmware versions VS RNS-510 versions. I chose to buy my firmware (for USA “J” model with version 4369, indicating I have an SSD, apparently not all J versions do) update from him. I’m sure there are less expensive options to get the firmware. However Peter was a Continental dealer and repair service until 2015, when development of the RNS-510 stopped (so I read). I decided that his knowledge was worth the cost to me. He noted that there were “tons of bug fixes from very first SSD based firmware 4369. 5238 is some seven versions news than 4369”. He also answered that the firmware 5238 will not “reformat” the SSD, thus losing all my maps (I have the map DVD also). I then asked about Bluetooth and MDI firmware updates, which he stated “there were no updates, even from VW”. I don’t know where else I could have gotten such advice.–george

I did the firmware (& operating system) upgrade in about an hour, as Peter states. Some of the prompts from VW area bit scary, but as Peter says "just wait it out". Prior to firmware upgrade, the startup screen (VW logo in foreground, map of the world in background) was shifted with a horizontal split near the bottom of the circle surround the "VW" letters. This was not a problem, merely annoying. The firmware upgrade fixed that too. I guess the picture file was reloaded as a part of the upgrade. So if you have the "split VW logo" try reinstalling the firmware. I don't know that I can tell that the RNS is any faster, or GPS performance any better, but I sure feel better with the latest. Peter notes that Sirius XM reception will be improved, but I'm too cheap to subscribe.

I've been corresponding with Peter and asked for a (semi) technical description of the operation of the RNS-510, and he responded with:

In regards to technical aspect of the OS running on RNS-510 it is of similar to unix. I'm no expert in it, as I only have factory tools from Continental to repair these units with their own interface. For example when replacing a hard drive the NAND memory partition has to be wiped before full firmware can be installed to initialize the hard disk drive and partition it properly.
In regards to boot and what happens during boot is fairly simple. Each function is launched almost like an app and runs in the background. To what I know Radio starts first, then rear view camera, sirius, and last is Navi portion of the unit.
These are not the quickest units out there but the last revision of them with SSD drive is very solid unit and easily repairable if something should go bad as there are parts available for them.
Newer units I sell from MK7 cars called MIB2 are much more complicated as they tie into the cars electronics so deep, that if not coded correctly systems of the specific car module can shut down. We are reaching a point in time, where car radios will no longer be replaced by third party, and car manufacturers want to eliminate third party parts installation on any cars as it causes a headache for them, and people want to claim warranty caused by these parts on many occasions.

Last edited:

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Highest firmware revision depends on which model of RNS-510 you have. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thank you for giving us that tip. After checking that my 510 has the SSD, I bought the CD from this source. It arrived within a couple of days; I installed the upgrades and, so far, I feel it was worth every penny. My biggest previous gripe was the unpredictablity of the backup camera delay. Crossed fingers, but so far it's almost instantaneous, like all other makes. Installation went uneventful - took 50 minutes, as advertised. Too soon to know if Radio, SD or Nav are any better. Certainly no worse. Screen buttons feel more responsive. I'm not planning to upgrade the maps. I live in New England, where things change slowly, or not at all.

Spohntaneous

TDI
2015 TDI SEL Jetta
Thanks so much for such a detailed and articulate thread on the RNS 510. I have a 2015 SEL Jetta. I currently have an RNS 315 unit which has all the bells and whistles including GPS yet I don't like the small screen. I understand it's a plug and play switching over to the RNS 510. My question is do I need a different molding which goes around the until since the RNS 510 is larger. If so which one would I get and where is the best place. Thanks so much!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So are we paying it forward and sharing the CD/DVD of the software update with some monetary compensation?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AFAIK '15 Passat I believe, not sure if a '16 Tiguan or CC came with it but I think they all swapped over to the MIB system which first showed up on the '15 MQB platforms. Remember the RNS510 platform premiered on the what '09 '10 cars, that's 8 years old, sure some software updates and HD change, but its like running an iphone 4 today.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
So I bought a used A version and it had no sound output. The seller replaced it. The replacement has no sound output. Borrowed a friend's known good E revision and it works just fine. What the heck are the chances I have two bad units? Everything else functions as it should. I used VAGCOM to pair both to the car.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
So I bought a used A version and it had no sound output. The seller replaced it. The replacement has no sound output. Borrowed a friend's known good E revision and it works just fine. What the heck are the chances I have two bad units? Everything else functions as it should. I used VAGCOM to pair both to the car.

Thoughts?

Hard to say, I know when I swapped my RCD510 for an RNS510, it took a bit of fussing with the coding to get the RCD510 to work in the CC it came out of. There were three (I think) changes I had to make for the different sounds system, and I had to change them in the right order for it to be effective. Otherwise, he had no sound. I am wondering if you are experiencing the same issue.

As a back-up, I have an RNS510 in my Passat that will be available for sale in a month if you need it.

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Would it be worth sending them out to be repaired, if so where? I'll fiddle with vcds first but I just can't believe I got two bad units.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There are specific car configurations that you set in VCDS to determine what external amp and system it is paired with, so it is quite likely that unless the second unit came from an identical car that it simply needs coding . . . I believe that the connection to the external amp (at least in the Fender version) is digital, so it's not as simple as the wires just being there and connected . . .

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
My car has Dynaudio and both units have a VW and Dynaudio splash screen on start up

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Alright so I just swapped back in my original RCD510 and I get no sound from that. Sounds like I'm hitting a coding road block. Any help?

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Got both of them working.
I plugged my friends "E" version in and looked at the long coding. It was coded for Dynaudio (BAD DSP)
On the two "A" version I have I was using long coding for Dynaudio. Once I set both to Dynaudio (BAD DSP) and did the three finger salute to reboot each unit, sound came pouring through the speakers.

So apparently my '11 Golf has BAP DSP. Whatever that even is

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There he gives firmware versions VS RNS-510 versions.

US$ 70.00 for a firmware update is ridiculous. Don't know what he's charging for shipping in the USA but he wants US$ 86.00 to ship a "DVD" disk to Canada. That's US$ 156.00 or Cdn $ 205.00 !
I can buy a brand new Garmin GPS with lifetime map updates for less.

I'll be polite, frigging nuts!!!!!

In 2016 I bought a map update, a firmware update and a file to play a movie while in motion for $ 40.00 shipped.

Last edited:

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
Just another data point...I purchased a repaired 2015 Passat TDI SEL a few months ago. It has Delivery Part Number 3C0035684Q, HW version H27, SW version 5382, maps version 8213. I haven't done any updates...this is the way it came.

This unit suffers from the erratic backup camera and boot times. If the car has been running and off for only a few minutes, upon restart and immediate shift into reverse, the backup camera will come on immediately.

However if the car has been setting for "awhile" off (not sure exactly what that time frame is, but seems to be 10 minutes or so), after starting, I can forget about the backup camera for about 1/2 minute while the Fender Screen of Indecision displays. Just plain annoying, and head scratching that VW thought this should be acceptable.

Also a comment about the sound quality...I listen mostly to FM when driving. I primarily listen to an HD2 (secondary HD) oldies station, and the output quality is just plain bad on some songs. The sound quality on the primary HD stations seems ok. I figured it was a station issue (bad digital sampling of the song, over-compression or some other signal modulation problem of the secondary HD channel etc). I got my 2016 Touareg TDI a couple of weeks ago. The oldies station has a limited playlist, so I've had a chance to hear some of those songs that don't sound good in the Passat over in the Touareg, and those songs sound much, much better in the Touareg. This leads me to believe that there is some problem with the way that the RNS is decoding the secondary HD channels. There could still be a station issue, but the Touareg is handling it much better.

So...overall...I'm really underwhelmed with the RNS510

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.