RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
Can someone let me know if I have this right. Just bought a 13 SEL and have 3696/7994 (G unit). I checked. It would benefit me to get 4366 (highest version for a G?). Disk 5.2 was in the glove compartment, but I am guessing that was used by the previous owner? 5.2 is 7994? Can I upgrade the map to the latest version (10?) , or am I limited to upgrading to 7963. Sources? Peter/eBay? ,for the fw and vw.nav for the maps? Thanks for your help. Lots of numbers and versions and very new to me (coming from a 97 B4). I want to make sure I do this right.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Your unit should be able to accept both the latest firmware and map. The firmware is available from Peter, and he is an outstanding source of accurate information about that firmware works in what unit. He may sell the map disc, but most likely you have to get it from the source at www.navigation.com.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Slightly incorrect information ATC...

The older units (before the the J Prefix) do not use the SSD which the newer firmwares are designed for.

That being the case, the older units newest firmware is indeed 4366. There isn't and won't be anything newer.

The maps are always upgradeable to the newest version as they are backwards compatible.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Slightly incorrect information ATC...

The older units (before the the J Prefix) do not use the SSD which the newer firmwares are designed for.

That being the case, the older units newest firmware is indeed 4366. There isn't and won't be anything newer.

The maps are always upgradeable to the newest version as they are backwards compatible.
Thanks for the correction. I was going by model year, as I thought by 2013 they were all the SSD models. That's what I get for thinking... :eek:

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
Thanks for the help guys. My next dilemma is deciding whether or not to upgrade it. Had I not read this thread, I don't think I would have considered upgrading it. I have nothing to compare it to but it actually seems to work OK. Another question I have is how to get the traffic working on the routes in question. Is that in Travel Link? Anyone have that? Comments?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help guys. My next dilemma is deciding whether or not to upgrade it. Had I not read this thread, I don't think I would have considered upgrading it. I have nothing to compare it to but it actually seems to work OK. Another question I have is how to get the traffic working on the routes in question. Is that in Travel Link? Anyone have that? Comments?
The travel information comes from SiriusXM, so you need a subscription for it to work. I believe you can just subscribe to traffic, and not take the radio stations.

I tried it when I bought the car, but was not satisfied with it. Too too long to initialize (some days I was half way home - 10 minutes), and I never saw it update during my 30 minute commute. Since my commute is so short, I can either look at our state transportation web site before I leave work, or use the app they offer, and have the most up to date info. I bought a Garmin for use when I have a rental when I travel, and it has traffic, so if I ever take a major road trip I'll just use it.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The travel information comes from SiriusXM, so you need a subscription for it to work. I believe you can just subscribe to traffic, and not take the radio stations.
I tried it when I bought the car, but was not satisfied with it. Too too long to initialize (some days I was half way home - 10 minutes), and I never saw it update during my 30 minute commute. Since my commute is so short, I can either look at our state transportation web site before I leave work, or use the app they offer, and have the most up to date info. I bought a Garmin for use when I have a rental when I travel, and it has traffic, so if I ever take a major road trip I'll just use it.
I think a destination has to be input for the traffic info to display. When I had an F-150 the navigation displayed traffic info without a route, but the VW/Audi don't as far as I know. They don't in my area anyways.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I think a destination has to be input for the traffic info to display. When I had an F-150 the navigation displayed traffic info without a route, but the VW/Audi don't as far as I know. They don't in my area anyways.
No, an active destination wasn't required. There's four different settings on the display: 2D, 3D, Traffic (and I forget the 4th). The traffic setting displayed all displayed roads that had traffic info.

Now, would it provide traffic alerts like my Garmin, I don't know. I could see that requiring an active destination, as it needs to know the route to offer alternatives. I don't know if the RNS-510 offered that feature, as I never made any road trips while the trial period was active.

CanadianLurker

TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige
Are there any Release Notes or summaries of the improvements/changes made between each firmware release?

And the latest map update is data only as new as Q3-2014?? Really?? That's well over a year old already - almost 2!!!

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Are there any Release Notes or summaries of the improvements/changes made between each firmware release?

And the latest map update is data only as new as Q3-2014?? Really?? That's well over a year old already - almost 2!!!
A few weeks ago I got the newest map update 10M, firmware and the VIM hack, Search via GOOGLE!

dna007

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL

Actually New maps V11M were just released DB is from 2015Q3 so not that old comparing how they came out with 2014Q1 DB on 2015 Map release.

More info about V11M Maps.

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8407
Date: 21.1.2016
db: NA(2015Q3)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.531.1.84
Customer Version: V11
Customer: 1627386751
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2015110003
SVD: EDB_20151124
TMC: 20150921
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

-Peter
ExtremeNetwork

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Actually New maps V11M were just released DB is from 2015Q3 so not that old comparing how they came out with 2014Q1 DB on 2015 Map release.
More info about V11M Maps.
We picked up our Golf Wagen TDI May of 2015 and checking today I get the message;

Our records indicate you must have the most recent map update for your vehicle.

How can that be?

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Just got mine. Its installing now.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
That's not the current map update.
It may be so, but feel free to fork over $ 100.00 plus just for the map to VW.

If you want the newest and best use a GARMIN GPS with lifetime updates which you get FREE as often as three times per year !

tallguy09

TDI
MY09 Passat Wagon
Updated MY09 Passsat Wagon RNS510 in Canada to SW 1140 without issues using Nero Burning Rom and DVD-R.
Then updated maps to 8246 (V10 Map) using ISO file with DVD-R Dual Layer / Nero Burning Rom and ran into issues
with the copying process restarting all-over and never finishing.
Read here on the forum about the 3 button reset procedure, inserting maps DVD again and there you go,
finished copying map data. So happy this forum exists.

Last edited:

firestorm79

TDI
2013 Passat
Anyone know where I can get a copy of the 4366 firmware? I've been looking online and nobody seems to sell it anymore.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If you want the newest and best use a GARMIN GPS with lifetime updates which you get FREE as often as three times per year !
Better yet use a TOM TOM with free lifetime map updates as every quarter a new updated map is released. Plus the Tom Tom's map color schemes are customizable unlike Garmin. ;)

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
i know one thing for sure this gps does not like adress that are all numbers
for instance 5693 East 122nd street.. if you do not have an actual street name the gps gives you nothing.
worst gps i've ever owned.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
The handful of times I've entered addresses in the -510, it does seem quite picky about street names. You might enter "South", where it only wants "S" and can't find anything. Yeah, annoying.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Did the VIM and firmware updates not long after we got the car. It's got the last firmware update it will take. I did a few map updates back then, but I refuse to pay to update it with the prices they charge. Google Maps on our iPhones is updated for nothing, and it's more sophisticated than the nav part of the RNS-510. The unit works fine for hands-free phone and music, but we've just abandoned the nav function.....

50Fathom

TDI
2013 Golf R, 2014 Golf TDI wagen
Anyone have any details on a 3C0035684G H02 RNS510 unit

Currently mine is running SW 3696 and was hoping to upgrade to the latest version - what are my options? What is the latest this unit can support?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Been out of the game for a while, but bought a "new" Passat today. I'm sure I need maps, but wondering if I need firmware as well. Stats are.....

HW H27
SW 5382
Map version 8213

Hernani81

TDI
Jetta
Been out of the game for a while, but bought a "new" Passat today. I'm sure I need maps, but wondering if I need firmware as well. Stats are.....

HW H27
SW 5382
Map version 8213
You've the last firmware, but not the maps!
The last maps version available is the 8407
you can always patch the unit with the VIM to allow the videos playing...

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.