RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Looking for a firware update and I have fixed my MDI issue with a usb filter

Hi.. I'm glad I found this thread. I have a 2014 TDI Beetle and looking for a firmware update for my RNS510. I currently have version 5734.. it broke HDRADIO.
Also mix from MDI is flaky. When playing music mix from MDI and shut the engine, leave the car, return later.. mix will only continue in the present folder.. no matter what option you set for mix in setup. I did fix MDI though. My usb SSD would disconnect 6 times/day during my commute to/from work. I'm a systems engineer so it annoyed the heck out of me. I made a test cable put it inline with the MDI/USB cable and my USB/SATA SDD.. looked at the data with my oscilloscope and I saw a lot of noise in the data. noise so bad I had to make sure my scope was grounded properly. I bought Jitterbug USB noise filter from Crutchfield. you can get it from Amazon too. It installs inline... I looked at the signal with my scope after I connected the filter.. signal was clean. Now my 140GB SATA SSD mounted in a USB/SATA case works! No issues so far for 3 weeks.. well other than mix annoying me. To get around the file limitation I have my music arranged by genre/artist/album and I created playlists for all, genre, artist my only problem is while playing my music with the mix option. after I shut the radio , leave the car, return and resume listing to the music.. mix will only play within the folder it left off in...I have to select my playlist all over again.

Does the newer firmware fix hdradio and the music mix option ?

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Here's a screenshot from my RNS510. It shipped with this.. HDRADIO does not worrk

Hi,

I went into setup to activat HDradio. The checkbox is checked but the local HDRADIO stations do not come in. Is there anything else I need to do ?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I think 5374 is what I originally had, and HD was fine. Updating to 5382 didn't cause any issues.

Yes, the one checkbox is all you have to do. Are you certain there are HD stations that are available where you are? HD is much less tolerant of marginal signals. But when you have the signal, it's far superior to analog radio.

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I did a software reset.. now I just had to do a satellite radio refresh.. still no hdradio. I went into setup/radio/active hd radio.. I tuned in a station that I know comes in HD.. and it's just coming in as analog.. no HD radio icon showing up. Is there anything else I need to do ? All 2014 RNS510 radioshave HDRADIO right ?

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Yes.. I am sure. I have a small hdradio that I used to use with the aux in with my Jeep.
I have it tuned to the same channel. It's just coming in as analog. no hdradio icon.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
OK, just had to eliminate that possibility. And yes, all RNS-510 radios have HD, at least for FM. Never tried AM but it's possible it doesn't have that.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It appears that all the updating in the world will not appease my better half when it comes to using the RNS-510. I have kept up with the firmware and map updates, and I don't find the system as clunky to use as some people evidently do. But I've noticed on our last couple of trips that when I ask for nav directions, my wife just quietly consults Google Maps on her iPhone, won't touch the RNS-510. I guess this is the shape of things to come anyway, judging by the most recent "Das Auto" article I got on the MIBII system.....

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
HDRADIO working (no sub channels though) after a software reset.

I bought my TDI in 5/2015. It's a new 2014 leftover and yes the RNS510 came with the car. I did a soft reset and now I get 4 HD radio channels in. No sub channels, but this is a start.

Murf5048

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
2014 VW Beetle TDI Premium - No HD

I was reading your posts regarding HD channels and I do not get them on my 14 Beetle......you mentioned a software reset fixed your problem. Can you tell me how I do the reset please? BTW I have the exact same car as yours which I purchased in August 2015 and love it!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I was reading your posts regarding HD channels and I do not get them on my 14 Beetle......you mentioned a software reset fixed your problem. Can you tell me how I do the reset please? BTW I have the exact same car as yours which I purchased in August 2015 and love it!
It depends on the radio in your car. If you have the RNS-315 radio/nav, you don't have HD Radio. That was the primary reason I bought an SEL with the RNS-510. There's also lower level radios that have HD, but again the base radio does not. I don't know the different model numbers. If you do have a radio wtih HD, there's a menu setting that you have to select to enable HD. Stupid that it is off by default.

Beginning with the 2016 models, it looks like every model now has HD Radio with every dash unit. About time. It was ridiculous that the top radio in some models did not have it, while lower level radios did.

Murf5048

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
RNS510 Radio & HD Radio in 2014 Beetle TDI Premium

I bought the 2014 Beetle TDI and it actually has rainsense wipers, automatic on headlights, dual climate control and the RNS510 Radio. I looked on line on how to do a soft reset mentioned in another post as a possible solution BUT.....I went out to the car to reset the radio and am now getting HD channels without doing anything! I have no idea why it wasn't working before but thanks for the information!!

ktpett

TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL
I think 5374 is what I originally had, and HD was fine. Updating to 5382 didn't cause any issues.

Yes, the one checkbox is all you have to do. Are you certain there are HD stations that are available where you are? HD is much less tolerant of marginal signals. But when you have the signal, it's far superior to analog radio.
Did the update to 5382 speed up the initialization of the backup camera or does it still take 10 seconds to turn on after starting the car? Were you able to get the new firmware from VW?

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Did the update to 5382 speed up the initialization of the backup camera or does it still take 10 seconds to turn on after starting the car? Were you able to get the new firmware from VW?
I remember doing the last update that applied to my 2013 Passat w/RNS510. It's didn't change a thing. BUC still is slow to respond. Nav isn't always on top of things (start up car, turn on radio, no backup cam .. oh well.. nothing new there.. start backing down the drive.. still no came and no radio .. start down the street.. oh look there's the street in the backup cam but too late, I'm no longer in reverse.. Radio starts up stops and says it's updating, songs start playing about 3 or 4 minutes later). It's very annoying and I've been b1tching about since day one. :cool:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
No, the update did nothing to improve start-up performance. I acquired the software from an alternate source.

Compared to what tc1uscg is saying, mine isn't all that bad. Yes, the camera usually won't come on until I've begun moving forward. But music begins playing well before 3 minutes, even when I'm streaming from my phone. With FM radio, it's almost always playing in under 30 seconds, even when the station selected is an HD-2 station. That always takes longer for the digital station to lock on, and the sub-channel doesn't have the analog feed to play until the digital receiver locks in.

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
I'm trying to update a RevC/HW06 RNS-510, and I'd like to confirm which firmwares are valid. I currently have SW1142. It seems that I can upgrade to SW3810 in order to create the proper POI partition, then my unit will "become a SW 'D' model". Does this mean that I can then go as high as SW5274, since it seems to apply to all D models?
I'm sorry if this question is redundant, but I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what the limitations are, given that the 5xxx series seems to require Rev 5, but then the 3xxx updates say my C will become a D.
Reference:
http://www.my-gti.com/3868/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-download-repository
Thanks for any help!

EDIT: It appears that SW4210 is the last release that specifically lists my unit (1T0 035 684 C) so I'm wondering if I have to stop there?

Last edited:

muscle_cars_only

TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI , 13 Passat TDI SE , 13 Passat TDI SEL
Can someone please Point where to get the updates for the RNS 510 via PM? Would like VIM also..

Currently on head unit

PN- 3c0035684G
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 3696
Map version HDD 7870

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Can someone please Point where to get the updates for the RNS 510 via PM? Would like VIM also..

Currently on head unit

PN- 3c0035684G
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 3696
Map version HDD 7870
While you will find places to download the VIM patch, the firmware and map updates are not available to legally download. Firmware can often be found on E-Bay from ExtremeNetwork, who also posts on this site. He is an authorized licensee to provide firmware updates and repair systems. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-U...rade-DVD-In-Motion-Service-Menu-/291542887068

Asystole13

TDI
TDI 2.0
Have a 2013 Passat and the RNS510 went south. Dealer replaced it. New unit won't work with VIM hack. Tried twice.Once with DVD-R and once with CD-R. It going through the install and says successful but DVD shuts down over 5mph. VIM hack worked in old unit. Going on a trip tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Using Hack from
https://robpol86.com/rns_510_vim.html

PN 3C0035684Q
HW H27
SW 5378
Map 8213

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Buy 5382 from Peter on eBay. His install has VIM included in the firmware. eBay item 301717793180

After doing the install do a reset pressing the two arrow buttons and the start button simultaneously and holding them for about 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Asystole13

TDI
TDI 2.0
Buy 5382 from Peter on eBay. His install has VIM included in the firmware. eBay item 301717793180

After doing the install do a reset pressing the two arrow buttons and the start button simultaneously and holding them for about 10 seconds.
Yeah but I was hoping to do it before the trip tomorrow. Buying it on ebay won't help me for this trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I did several no-cost updates to the maps, and I did the VIM and have the latest firmware that our particular model will take.....but the RNS-510 nav is pretty much a dead issue for us now. Google Maps is both easier to use and more informative, not to mention that updates are free. The hands-free phone part works fine, and I loaded a bunch of music in the HD free space, and we periodically use the backup camera. But the truth is, one of the things I look forward to in our next trade is Car Play or equivalent. Carmakers should look at making good interfaces to this kind of technology and reserving most of their efforts to improving the part that moves down the road.

Last edited:

tdsos

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI and 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Where do you get the 4366 firmware update. The local VW dealership doesn't have it.

OweninOttawa

TDI
2014 Tiguan
Hey gang. Can anyone help me out with a link to the latest maps, I believe the latest is version 10 - RNS 510 V.10M NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP UPDATE
2015 - JUNE 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.