RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabbotage

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I struggled with this strange map update 'offers' for a long time as well. I just had a Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX installed, prices dropped recently, map updates are free, and the head unit rocks, it's fast, with LOTS of features – could not be happier, highly recommended!

Thanks to Mr.Furious who gave me the idea to take this step.

Does it integrate with the display in the instrument cluster though?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Yes, it does, all functions the same functions as before, using the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter.

The total upgrade was about $1,350, with install and all extra parts needed.

The iPod battery drain issue is gone, the backup camera loads instantly, navigation input is easy, the capacitive touch screen is as responsive as my phone, CarPlay is awesome – I'm very happy with this new toy.

The only thing I'm at the fence right now is whether I should sell the RNS-510 with bluetooth module and MDI interface, or keep it to revert everything to original, in case I'll sell the car sometime in the future.

sabbotage, where in Central PA do you live?

Last edited:

sabbotage

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Yes, it does, all functions the same functions as before, using the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter.

The total upgrade was about $1,350, with install and all extra parts needed.

The iPod battery drain issue is gone, the backup camera loads instantly, navigation input is easy, the capacitive touch screen is as responsive as my phone, CarPlay is awesome – I'm very happy with this new toy.

The only thing I'm at the fence right now is whether I should sell the RNS-510 with bluetooth module and MDI interface, or keep it to revert everything to original, in case I'll sell the car sometime in the future.

sabbotage, where in Central PA do you live?

Ha! I just noticed you live in State College. I live in Huntingdon, but I work at Penn State so I'm in State College everyday. I would LOVE to see your setup sometime if you have the time.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Ha! I just noticed you live in State College. I live in Huntingdon, but I work at Penn State so I'm in State College everyday. I would LOVE to see your setup sometime if you have the time.
Very cool! I too work at Penn State, send an email to herbert [at] psu [dot] edu and we'll figure out how best to get together.

psychogecko

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
So even the navigation display between the speedo and tach work with the new pioneer?

Flipmode

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
With the Pioneer does the GPS use data from the iPhone or does it work similar to a normal GPS?

Will it do Bluetooth for CarPlay?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
With the Pioneer does the GPS use data from the iPhone or does it work similar to a normal GPS?

Will it do Bluetooth for CarPlay?
You can use the phone with CarPlay to navigate with Apple maps – remember, the iPhone needs to be plugged in with CarPlay - or use the built in GPS module. Both work fine with voice input, so it's quite easy to search and input a destination.

Again, CarPlay works only with the phone plugged in. There are many CarPlay reviews and YouTube videos out there, Google is your friend. :)

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
The maps are the same for all of the U.S. RNS-510's.
Ours is a 2015 GSW but the latest Golf listed is 2014. And if I select the 2014 TDI 4 door one gets TECHNISAT RNS 315 V.8 MAP UPDATE - SD CARD.
So this will be an update for our 2015 GSW?

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Anyone instal V10 yet? If so any improvements or difference? I'm willing to pitch in so holler in a pm if you're interested.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I called HERE again and they still can't figure out where my order is or if it has even shipped. They have the worst customer service. They've told me three times that they'd call me back and they never have. They also have the hold your place in line feature when you call. I called 5 days ago and they haven't called me back from that.

dna007

TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL
I called HERE again and they still can't figure out where my order is or if it has even shipped. They have the worst customer service. They've told me three times that they'd call me back and they never have. They also have the hold your place in line feature when you call. I called 5 days ago and they haven't called me back from that.
They have some issues with the ordering process it seems.

Here is TOC file data from V10M Maps

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_8246
Date: 9.1.2015
db: NA(2014Q3)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.432.84
Customer Version: V10
Customer: 1627386751
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2014110004
SVD: EDB_20141112
TMC: 20140926
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.36_V7.13_V8.22_V10.13_basename_poi_on_route

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

-Peter

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have been sleeping on the job. Life and Work has been kicking my butt lately, so I haven't been on much! V10 has obviously been relesed. HERE as a company is a joke!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I got the letter in the mail yesterday telling me it was time to drop $99 on the new maps. Yeah, that'll happen.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I received the DVD yesterday. It took longer to install this version than it did the last.
BarryT82,

When you get some time, please comment if you notice any "updated" road info. I purchased the previous two map updates and sorta feel like I wasted my money, lol. Didn't notice any real new road updates. ATT time I was driving cross country a couple times a year, and saw the same incorrect info after the updates. Needless to say, was really disappointed.

Thanks!
Bob

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I used the V9 maps to drive to Jacksonville Cruise Terminal last month and everything was accurate on it on the route I was using. My Sirius traffic hasn't been showing anything in the construction areas.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I purchased the previous two map updates and sorta feel like I wasted my money, lol. Didn't notice any real new road updates.
This is why you need to look at the Map Data Date. I have posted them, and change them in the first post in this thread. A LOT of times, one update is only 6 months newer than the previous one, not a year like they try to make you think!

For example V9 was 2014Q1, and V10 is 2014Q3. THAT IS RIDICULOUS! It is almost 2015Q3. If they are saying the release date is 9/1/2015, they should at Minimum have 2015Q1. We are talking only a Data file, nothing more. Obviously it is actually being released sooner than September 1 since people already have a copy. Still ridiculous that something being released in the Q2 of 2015 only has 2014Q3 data!

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Got the V10 map data loaded. Took just under 2 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.