RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)

Try unlocking with the Remote as soon as you are close enough, that starts the boot process in the background, and will decrease the delay when you first get in the car.
Hadn't ever tried that. I'm kind of spoiled with KESSY, and not having to pull the key out. :p Also, in my garage I don't lock the car, so don't know if hitting the remote would do the same. Worth trying, though! :)

Babamike

TDI
2014 Passat Highline
Hello everyone I'm a newbie as you can see, been reading for the last week need to confirm a couple of things regarding firmware version and maps update.
I have 2014 Passat Highline TDI, after reading it appears I need firmware 5382 and maps version 8213 V9.
My unit info is as follow:
HW Version H03
SW Version 4366
Map version 7963
North America
Please guide me to the right link for download. Much appreciate your help.
Thanks
Mike

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Mike,

You must have a VERY early 2014. Considering your current firmware is 4366, that tells us it is not an SSD unit so you must have a J or earlier unit. Can you confirm your part number?

If the part number ends in J or earlier, you are as high as you can go on firmware.

Maps are updated annually (or sometimes semi-annually).

Babamike

TDI
2014 Passat Highline
Mike,

You must have a VERY early 2014. Considering your current firmware is 4366, that tells us it is not an SSD unit so you must have a J or earlier unit. Can you confirm your part number?

If the part number ends in J or earlier, you are as high as you can go on firmware.

Maps are updated annually (or sometimes semi-annually).
Hi Fixmy Thanks for the reply.

The part number says 3C0035684J

It also has SSD Slot.

Thanks
Mike

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Hi Fixmy Thanks for the reply.

The part number says 3C0035684J

It also has SSD Slot.

Thanks
Mike
Mike, that slot is for an SD card. You can load music on an SD card and play it from that slot. :)

When they mention SSD, that is a solid state hard drive, which your version does not have. :(

Babamike

TDI
2014 Passat Highline
Yes it perhpas doesn't have the solid state drive and the built in hard drive is not SSD I assume.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
If any unit has 4366, it cannot go any higher, no matter the letter at the end of the model. The first firmware for the SSD based units was 4369, basically 4366 for SSD based units. So if you have 4369 or later, SSD. 4366 or earlier non-SSD.

7963 is V6 of the maps, V9 or 8213 is the newest, and in your case would be worth the money in my opinion. Look at the first post in this thread, it breaks down the versions.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hadn't ever tried that. I'm kind of spoiled with KESSY, and not having to pull the key out. :p Also, in my garage I don't lock the car, so don't know if hitting the remote would do the same. Worth trying, though! :)

It will still work on an unlocked already car...

Babamike

TDI
2014 Passat Highline
Ok just installed the 8213, still doesn't have a lot of the new roads ��
Overall the whole system is VERY slow and lags. Wonder if I complain to VW can they do anything about it? It's still under warranty.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ok just installed the 8213, still doesn't have a lot of the new roads í*½í¸
Overall the whole system is VERY slow and lags. Wonder if I complain to VW can they do anything about it? It's still under warranty.

8213 is the newest, but like is posted in the first post of this thread, it is only 2014Q1 Data.

As far as the slow, you need to do a little reading. The 510 is slow, and if they replaced it, it would still be slow...if it works, use it and just be patient.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
8213 is the newest, but like is posted in the first post of this thread, it is only 2014Q1 Data.

As far as the slow, you need to do a little reading. The 510 is slow, and if they replaced it, it would still be slow...if it works, use it and just be patient.

Loki, Generally speaking, why is the 510 so slow compared to other infotainment systems? Your perspective please.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki, Generally speaking, why is the 510 so slow compared to other infotainment systems? Your perspective please.

Even with the SSD, the drive controller is slow, processor is slow, lack of memory, and a REALLY archaic OS. I had numbers somewhere, but can't find them. I will try to drag them up.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Even with the SSD, the drive controller is slow, processor is slow, lack of memory, and a REALLY archaic OS. I had numbers somewhere, but can't find them. I will try to drag them up.
Thats cool.. no hurries at all. however with all the hardware flaws, slow processor, etc.. why did they still continue to use them? I just don't get it... its like they didn't care to improve the system at all.. btw, when you get a chance, please check your PM.. I mentioned something to you I didn't feel comfortable saying on the forums in public..

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I think it's become pretty clear that -at least in the case of the RNS-510, and no matter the version- it's rather like "-you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." This thing is a very complicated piece of electronic hardware, and its basic limitations aren't going to go away, no matter the firmware upgrade, map version, or etc. I'm done attempting any further updates, and of course this is partly because I regard the unit as at least serviceable, unlike some people.
I will hope that the next NAV / phone / ?? unit VW goes with is an improvement, and maybe that will happen before we decide to trade this car.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
:)If you are coming from a 2001 golf tdi, the nav/entertainment system in my new passat is not that slow.....if you are comparing it to your iphone, it might slow. Speed is relative.
Remember, it was the turtle that won the race:)

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What is the significance of the H/W version?

Loki, when you get those other data please also add a bit on hardware versions to the first post in the thread. I was a bit confused by reading in an eBay ad for new (rev Q SW 5382) RNS 510 that HW 21 and higher were SSD units. That resonated with me despite thinking I was hearing the spinning disk moving heads especially during boot up and software updates (Including maps) on my HW 65 unit. Realistically the HW version should be the source of truth for a hardware change as significant as spinning disk to SSD. It seems odd to me that the firmware revision is used to determine the hardware that is installed...
Your experienced and educated insight will be very helpful.
Thanks!

eshawger

TDI
Ok just installed the 8213, still doesn't have a lot of the new roads ��
They are more likely to swap out a unit that has more than the usual issues.

After much effort I thought I was in the home stretch to getting a newer unit with SSD so I could see a little improvement at the very least. It took months to get it to happen and the unit I got was an older rev H refurb that was worse. I insisted the local dealer put back the rev J I had from the factory.

It's all about the money folks. They don't think there are enough distasified customers to do the right thing when a few of us actually request a fix. I would have been reasonably satisfied with a new, not refurbished rev M. It only cost VW $500 for the downgrade to rev H and they likely would have seen a core swap credit if I had agreed to take a bigger downgrade to RNS 315 like they first offered.

It's really a shame because the rest of the car is rock solid and I like it a lot. I even tried the backup camera during the test drive but it didn't occur to me to try it again after it was parked for an hour. I would have kept shopping for something else if I'd seen a camera that doesn't display the image until the typical driver has begun forward movement.

Like Lokiwolf has said we need to be patient. But I agree with ChrispyjVW it's not a lot to expect for the premium price we paid for the SEL trim when you shift into reverse for the camera image to display like it does consistently when you parallel park.

Last edited:

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
They are more likely to swap out a unit that has more than the usual issues.
After much effort I thought I was in the home stretch to getting a newer unit with SSD so I could see a little improvement at the very least. It took months to get it to happen and the unit I got was an older rev H refurb that was worse. I insisted the local dealer put back the rev J I had from the factory.
It's all about the money folks. They don't think there are enough distasified customers to do the right thing when a few of us actually request a fix. I would have been reasonably satisfied with a new, not refurbished rev M. It only cost VW $500 for the downgrade to rev H and they likely would have seen a core swap credit if I had agreed to take a bigger downgrade to RNS 315 like they first offered.
It's really a shame because the rest of the car is rock solid and I like it a lot. I even tried the backup camera during the test drive but it didn't occur to me to try it again after it was parked for an hour. I would have kept shopping for something else if I'd seen a camera that doesn't display the image until the typical driver has begun forward movement.
Like Lokiwolf has said we need to be patient. But I agree with ChrispyjVW it's not a lot to expect for the premium price we paid for the SEL trim when you shift into reverse for the camera image to display like it does consistently when you parallel park.
As LokiWolf advised me, you gotta keep pressing them.. After 3 visits to service, numerous phone calls to service as well as VWoA, numerous emails, and miles and miles of traveling to test and prove the issue, the dealer I bought my car from FINALLY replaced my RNS-510 with a brand new one that was ordered a week and a half ago.
As of now, no radio lockups and will test the Nav side when I go out of town in a couple of weeks. boot up is still the same slow speed, toggling between functions the same, and navigation through the menus the same but no radio/phone lockups(as of now). The RNS 510 is not a "premium" nav system at all.. There is only one system I would consider that is the one in the Toureg, (810). eshawger, hang in there. Keep pressing until you are satisfied and you should resort to using VWoA and have them as an advocate...The new system is Revision P and HW27.. The Previous version was revision N and H26

eshawger

TDI
As LokiWolf advised me, you gotta keep pressing them.. After 3 visits to service, numerous phone calls to service as well as VWoA, numerous emails, and miles and miles of traveling to test and prove the issue, the dealer I bought my car from FINALLY replaced my RNS-510 with a brand new one that was ordered a week and a half ago.
As of now, no radio lockups and will test the Nav side when I go out of town in a couple of weeks. boot up is still the same slow speed, toggling between functions the same, and navigation through the menus the same but no radio/phone lockups(as of now). The RNS 510 is not a "premium" nav system at all.. There is only one system I would consider that is the one in the Toureg, (810). eshawger, hang in there. Keep pressing until you are satisfied and you should resort to using VWoA and have them as an advocate...The new system is Revision P and HW27.. The Previous version was revision N and H26
ChrispyjVW,
Thanks for that update! Rev P HW 27. Interesting that my older unit is HW 65, and Rev J.

I've recently experienced iPhone dictation for hands free texting has locked up the radio and it's hung in an infinite loop with a call to myself. It's not an intermittent problem, as I can now reproduce it at will.

Perhaps I can press for a Rev P replacement now that I have a more substantial issue to get fixed in addition to the slow camera. Sure the system is slow over all, but until the lock up last week, I was only bummed about the camera.

Please let me know the name of your region case manager. Noel K. from Central US insisted they could not get me a new Rev M when I requested that specifically. Not surprisingly when I called a few dealers in 3 states to inquire they were very happy to order that specific Rev M unit for me at $3,800.

I no longer go to my selling dealer because they said the same about not being able to order a Rev M unit. I'd also prefer a different case manager as well and see how that works out.

Thanks

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
ChrispyjVW,
Thanks for that update! Rev P HW 27. Interesting that my older unit is HW 65, and Rev J.

I've recently experienced iPhone dictation for hands free texting has locked up the radio and it's hung in an infinite loop with a call to myself. It's not an intermittent problem, as I can now reproduce it at will.

Perhaps I can press for a Rev P replacement now that I have a more substantial issue to get fixed in addition to the slow camera. Sure the system is slow over all, but until the lock up last week, I was only bummed about the camera.

Please let me know the name of your region case manager. Noel K. from Central US insisted they could not get me a new Rev M when I requested that specifically. Not surprisingly when I called a few dealers in 3 states to inquire they were very happy to order that specific Rev M unit for me at $3,800.

I no longer go to my selling dealer because they said the same about not being able to order a Rev M unit. I'd also prefer a different case manager as well and see how that works out.

Thanks
Is your ride still under warranty? mine is a 2015 and I noticed yours is a 13 but could still be under warranty, thought I would ask. What I did twice was go on VWs website and utilized the "chat" and they assigned me a Reg Case Mgr.. I do not know how they operate with customers in a case where the warranty has expired..

Chili501

TDI
Passat TDI SEL
2014 Passat tdi sel

I have a 2014 Passat tdi sel, there are numerous times I start driving and the sound and navigation system says system loading and takes up to two blocks before it starts working. I've had it back to the dealer numerous times and each time they say the problem is fixed. Also the 1st mileage setting resets after sitting overnight. The number two setting does hold data.
Has anyone noticed a slight vibration at idle it does not do it at all times.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2014 Passat tdi sel, there are numerous times I start driving and the sound and navigation system says system loading and takes up to two blocks before it starts working. I've had it back to the dealer numerous times and each time they say the problem is fixed. Also the 1st mileage setting resets after sitting overnight. The number two setting does hold data.
Has anyone noticed a slight vibration at idle it does not do it at all times.
The #1 MFD display will reset after roughly two hours. It's more of a trip calculator. The #2 setting will not reset, but will roll over once it reaches its max values for each display item, or you can reset it manually by holding the ok button while displaying #2.

The RNS-510 is an extremely slow system. Yours sounds fairly typical, I'm afraid. The radio begins booting when the car is unlocked or the door is opened. If you can hit the key fob before you are actually ready to go, you'll give it a head start.

Last edited:

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
The #1 MFD display will reset after roughly two hours. It's more of a trip calculator. The #2 setting will not reset, but will roll over once it reaches its max values for each display item, or you can reset it manually by holding the ok button while displaying #2.

The RNS-510 is an extremely slow system. Yours sounds fairly typical, I'm afraid. The radio begins booting when the car is unlocked or the door is opened. If you can hit the key fob before you are actually ready to go, you'll give it a head start.

Slow processor, lack of RAM, archaic OS and for me I experienced lockups and freezes.. just had it replaced this past Saturday and I went from H26 Revsion N to H27 Revision P and the new unit is still slow..

cybershot

TDI
MKV
people who upgraded to sw5382 - did you Sirius and FM station icon/logo/graphics no longer display?

its been a few days now and I've switch the rns510 theme and stuff around and still nothing

cybershot

TDI
MKV
How long did it take? What did you do? And which ones are missing? Does your radio station icon/graphics showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.