RNS510 Diagnostic Help...She's dead Jim

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Wife and daughter came home with news the radio died. Sure enough there is nothing. No camera, no boot screen, nada. I checked the underhood fuse mentioned in a few threads and it was good. Hard reset procedure does nothing.

Any diagnostic guidance would be appreciated. I gather these are known for flaking out. I have zero intention of spending more $ on this unit. The car will be migrating to my daughter soon so an apple/android suggestion would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
RCD 360plus...needs a backup camera adapter (usually not included), and make sure to get the right harness adapter (typically included).

This will come with either apple or android included, and its own internal Bluetooth, so you'll have to unplug yours.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you! I'm trying to learn about the RCD radios. It looks like Sirius is a no-go with them. But, every one I've seen so far says NOT for Fender Audio. That's what we have.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, then in your case I would consider a Joyingauto.com headunit

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had one of those in the past. Everything functioned nicely as far as android and working goes. Only drawback was the radio reception was poor compared to anything. My experience only. OS was not upgradeable.

lowlife

TDI
03 jetta 13 passat
I am not sure of the 15 but my 13 passat has a fuse in the back of the receiver under the main wire connector 20 amp mini

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Finally had more time to dig into this over the weekend. I didn't want to peel trim off when it was still cold in the garage. Fuse in back is fine and power going into the unit. The fan also does not spin so it would appear to be fatal. Strange thing is the car still wants to sync to my phone.

A new head unit is in the works, just waiting on a reply from sellers to see which unit would be correct. If someone has already replaced theirs and could share an ebay# I"d greatly appreciate it.

Since I know I will be getting in again soon I just left the plastic trim off and moved it from the garage. *pop* now there is an airbag code. The engineering on these cars is so stupid and brittle. Had a M&P shop reset the light. Has codes J499, J401, and Radio No Signal/No Communications.

Penst8grad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I put an RCD330 in last weekend. Have some bugs to work out but so far it's good. Then my daughter wrecked it Tuesday. Fixable. Starting a thread for that.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
The BT still wants to connect because it is an independent module that lives inside the arm rest. Both the proprietary phone connector and the Bluetooth module are in there.