[RNS-510] SD Card Error

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
It's baaaaacckkk! Stupid RNS-510's.....

Got three photos of three different freezes with two different cards, and now it's time to get a case manager involved AGAIN! This time I'll request beforehand that I get the newest unit. Keep ya'll posted...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

skateboy918

TDI
07 VW GLI
The problem isn't the SD card or the slot. It's the flex cable INSIDE the unit.

Its bent in a few ways so it fits in the unit but what happens is it the vibration cause it to come slightly loose from the connection to the unit so sometimes it reads and sometimes it doesn't.

It depends on how the unit is assembled - most are probably not snag on the frame of the unit so that's why most units don't see this issue but the few that do see this issue, I think it's worth taking the unit aprt and fixing the cable (if you're out of warranty)

22positions

TDI
soon to be Jetta TDI DSG
I was just searching around and found this
http://www.my-gti.com/719/differenc...d-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rcd-510-and-the-rns-510

Looks like 32gb is max cap. No big deal 32gb is plenty music from one source
My 510 actually plays a 64gb sdxc card - I can't afford the 128 gb card at this time. It gave me trouble at first and rejected the card. This was due to the card being pre-formatted as Fat-32. Turns out, VW runs MS-DOS (Fat-32) which apparantly is different from Fat-32. After formatting the card, it was recognized by the unit and started to play the media I stored on it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our RNS-510 will do this periodically. The error comes up, but then the program just goes ahead and plays. Since it doesn't really affect it playing, we've never had anything done about it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My 510 actually plays a 64gb sdxc card - I can't afford the 128 gb card at this time. It gave me trouble at first and rejected the card. This was due to the card being pre-formatted as Fat-32. Turns out, VW runs MS-DOS (Fat-32) which apparantly is different from Fat-32. After formatting the card, it was recognized by the unit and started to play the media I stored on it.
I did have a problem which I had posted here in this forum as well, but I found the solution to it myself. It was a problem uploading waypoints to the GPS. I had tried different SD cards and ALL were formatted using Windows to Fat-32.

There is NO difference in MS-Dos Fat-32 or Windows Fat-32. The only difference is that these days very few people still can use or work using DOS. Even if you formatted to Fat-16 it really became Fat-32 using DOS.

TDI321

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, phase 2a
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ this is a free SD card formatting program. Yes, the max size is 32gig for FAT32. its not a limitation on the 2015 Passat SEL Nav system with a USB thumb drive plugged into the MDI, but it is on the card slot. 32gig is okay. Mp3 is the bigger limitation. tried everything with a new 128g card and it just wont fire up. Too bad the stereo cant FORMAT the card for you.. that would make too much sense.