RNS 510 retrofit questions

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Hi. I just went from Chinese RCD510 *which worked perfectly* to a used North American RNS 510 and have a few questions.

1. When I turn the key off the radio shuts off. I can turn the radio back on by pressing the radio power button but with the RCD510 and my stock radio they would both stay on until I pulled the key out. Is there coding or something I can do to change this behavior? I really doubt it's the CAN issues that have been documented because with the RCD510 everything worked as it should and never a dead battery.

2. If I purchase a sirius antenna does anyone know if I can just stuff it in the dash or does it have to be mounted externally on the roof?

3. I had an aux in cable with the RCD 510 that worked fine. Simple headphone jack in front of the shifter. Plug my phone in and stream music. I do not see the ability in the RNS 510 or I am missing the procedure to activate this. Any ideas?

4. It has the backup camera option. When I put the car in reverse the screen goes black but I do not have a camera. With the RCD510 there was this rectangular port on the back to plug a VW back up camera into. I do not see this plug on the RNS510. How does the RNS510 get the camera signal?

Thanks guys. I will keep researching and if I find answers will post them here.

Note: Everything I have read says the red cluster display was not compatible with the RNS510. It works fine. Shows station ID and song info. Same with the RCD510.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
1. That's normal for the RNS. Some mkv's will require a module change if it's start draining your battery.

2. Yes antenna can be just wedged under the dash some where! Did you hook up the GPS antenna?

3. There should be an option I. The setting to activate the AUX input. If not might have to code it in I've honestly never used mine cause I would always stream my music threw the Bluetooth.

4. The backup camera might be coded into the RNS might have to recode it to turn that off.

What year is your car that it shows in the MFD??

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
1. That's normal for the RNS. Some mkv's will require a module change if it's start draining your battery.
2. Yes antenna can be just wedged under the dash some where! Did you hook up the GPS antenna?
3. There should be an option I. The setting to activate the AUX input. If not might have to code it in I've honestly never used mine cause I would always stream my music threw the Bluetooth.
4. The backup camera might be coded into the RNS might have to recode it to turn that off.
What year is your car that it shows in the MFD??

1. Ironically enough I re-coded my cluster to european and now the radio stays on until I pull the key out of the lock! What the heck?

2. I am STILL waiting for the GPS antenna to arrive. I didn't know the Sirius antenna would work without a line of site. Very good to know!

3. I did miss it. I was able to use the aux input just fine. I thought it was grey'd out but I was mistaken.

4. I have not pulled the deck back out to check yet but do all RNS510s have the camera input rectangular plug or was this an option?

It's an 06'. Was lowline cluster I retrofitted highline cluster. MFD works perfectly. When playing radio it shows station id. When playing HDD / SD card it shows name / artist etc etc.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled the deck back out today to install the GPS antenna.

Yes, I did see the camera connection on the back of the unit.