RNS-315 Radio Problem

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
My wife's Passat 2012 SE 2.5L was bought new last December. The radio screen would sometimes turn off (or at least it was blank) but the audio was still on. To get the screen back, the radio had to be turned off then back on. When we took it in to the dealer for the 90 day check, we told them about this issue but when they scanned it, no errors showed up. They ordered a new radio (which is a Panasonic) and installed it. This was a few months ago. Now, we have the same issue. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks,

P.S. I know this is a gasser but I've had TDIs for the past 12 years and I feel more at home on the TDIClub

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
So, no radio problems? It's going in for its 10k free service this weekend (no oil change so all it amounts to is tire rotation).

Niner

duplicate account, banned
We here with Tdi passats get a 510 version of the radio, so we have no idea about your version of a radio.

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
I think the RNS 315 is the middle of the road nav unit, that really does everything the 510 does but is less buggy/more responsive, has smaller screen, no hard drive, etc. I am amazed that VW dealership would replace your factory unit with a panasonic? I would not allow that and would throw a fit and demand a factory unit function the way its supposed to. If I were you i'd kindly return it and have them put a working factory unit in the car, or find a better dealer that will do the job right.

LANCECASPER

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5 Speed (SOLD); 2006 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD); 2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6M (Reflex Silver)
I think Panasonic makes the RNS 315.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Even the base model manual TDI gets the 510? I didn't know. In that case, I'll look elsewhere for this problem.

The 315 doesn't have NAV and it's made by Panasonic.

Thanks,

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Even the base model manual TDI gets the 510? I didn't know. In that case, I'll look elsewhere for this problem.

The 315 doesn't have NAV and it's made by Panasonic.

Thanks,
The base level tdi is an SE build. Not a plain build or an S build, but an SE build.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
TDI SE without navigation gets the RCD-510
TDI SE with navigation gets the RNS-315
TDI SEL with navigation gets the RNS-510

The RNS-315 is Navigation, as designated by the "N" in its model number.

All head units are made by Panasonic.

Can you scan the radio with VCDS and see if there are any stored trouble codes? That's really the first step to diagnosing the problem - unless you want the dealer to keep throwing radios at it. If you are interested in upgrading, I highly recommend the RCD-510 if you don't want/need navigation. It has the large screen and is quick/responsive.

Last edited: