RIP

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
SUV with a hitch backed into me hard enough to cause $13,000 in damage. Totaled, especially considering the "blue book value" is still around $10k.

Hood, headlight, intercooler, radiator, bumper, DAP sensors, paint, alignment and calibration. Obviously wouldn't cost that much to actually fix with time. With 109,000 miles, their insurance is paying out $17,000...so I can't be too mad considering I paid $14,500 out-the-door.

What a terrible time to buy a car too. Nothing CPO worthwhile (GTI's at $37k?! F*** off!). Trying to decide between the new GLI or an older something to get through the car/chip shortage. Would love to find a 328d.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Oh no! Sorry to hear it!

There was a nice silver 2002 J Wagon advertised on CL recently. I think it was near New London, but I can't remember.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Tough time to buy anything new. The local VW dealer barely has any cars on the lot, and most of those that are there aren't even VWs. I think most of the shortages will get resolved in 6 months to a year. I bought a cheap "temporary" gas Golf when I sold back my TDI. Still driving it today. Saved me a bunch over a new GTI, even at ~$25k.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm still driving the [now] 21 year old Golf I bought for $1500 over 12 years ago. It has been rear-ended, and subsequently "totaled" and fixed twice now. First time for somewhere around $1800, second time around $1200.

Let me tell you, the Bosal Euro hitch does some damage to a Chevy Trax and Lexus RX300, LOL... They both got towed away... I drove away both times. :D

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
That sucks! But why not buy it back from insurance and fix?
Not worth my time and the cost (I imagine buyback and DIY repair will cost $13,000ish). Right now I’m walking away ahead.
are you parting with your MIB2?
I’m not parting out (other then grabbing my Weathertechs and Alltrack Skid Plate just in case I buy another MQB), and frankly, it’s not worth it. The MIB2 can be had cheaply from a junkyard (I got mine for $80). The expensive part is programming.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm still driving the [now] 21 year old Golf I bought for $1500 over 12 years ago. It has been rear-ended, and subsequently "totaled" and fixed twice now. First time for somewhere around $1800, second time around $1200.

Let me tell you, the Bosal Euro hitch does some damage to a Chevy Trax and Lexus RX300, LOL... They both got towed away... I drove away both times. :D
What VWs should I stay away from if I decide to buy a cheap MK4-MK6 Jetta/Golf to tide me over? Not sure if the 1.8T or 2.sl0w are a gamble.

I really only started being interested and paying attention to VW’s gas options with the MK7 GTI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
tough loss, least insurance was willing to cough up that kind of coin, with how the car markets have been i'm surprised the insurance industries are willing to dig into their pockets as much.

If i were in your shoes, i'd be looking at the sub 5,000 range and just nickle and dime the repairs until things turn around on the market towards your favor.

But I honestly think the dealers and manufactures love having this high turn over on the lots, high demand and people bending over paying market adjustment prices, I feel these markets will continue for quite some time and still blame a chip shortage.

IMO the days of walking into a dealer and having 10 exact same car/color on the lot to chose from is long gone.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What VWs should I stay away from if I decide to buy a cheap MK4-MK6 Jetta/Golf to tide me over? Not sure if the 1.8T or 2.sl0w are a gamble.

I really only started being interested and paying attention to VW’s gas options with the MK7 GTI.

Dont' listen to oil hammer on gas EA888.3 platform, he brings too much logic, our 1.8t EA888.3 of our Alltrack has been pretty bullet proof and quite fun to drive (once DSG and ECU has been tuned). A mk7 1.8t 5spd golf hatch is pretty decent option.

If you've been willing to live with possible issues on the TDI, the TSI will be nothing for the worse.

oilhammer

TDI
LMAO.... yeah, OK....

My 17 year old "1.8t" with its 1/4 million mile head start, will still outlast any EA888 engine. Hands down. Zero doubt about it.

I have a dead Jetta here right now that needs an engine... and a dead Audi Allroad with an engine en route. There is hardly a week that goes by here without one of those turds broken.

Good news is, I'm really good at replacing them. And I think I look pretty darn good doing so! :D

The Golf R I did last month was the latest one.

Haven't seen any issues with the little 1.4L though. Those seem pretty good.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
LMAO.... yeah, OK....

My 17 year old "1.8t" with its 1/4 million mile head start, will still outlast any EA888 engine. Hands down. Zero doubt about it.

I have a dead Jetta here right now that needs an engine... and a dead Audi Allroad with an engine en route. There is hardly a week that goes by here without one of those turds broken.

Good news is, I'm really good at replacing them. And I think I look pretty darn good doing so! :D

god bless oilhammer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I've threatened the boss to get the A/C working better or my shorts will keep getting shorter.... I was sporting some snazzy Daisy Dukes by the end of this summer. :)

Ohhh... I'm trying to get that picture out of my mind. Daisy fit those much better than any of us. Hahahaha

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
How about an Audi 2015 a3? Autotrader nationwide shows more tdi's than any of other sites?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahh placing all generations and flavors of EA888 into one basket again.

I'll keep my head in the sand and pile the miles on.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
How about an Audi 2015 a3? Autotrader nationwide shows more tdi's than any of other sites?
I think those were all the small sedans. IRRC, we did not get any of the diesel hatches in 2015.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
LMAO.... yeah, OK....

I'm always amazed at how big Audi transmissions are.

oilhammer

TDI
And the 88mm bore-spaced VAG I4s look positively tiny bolted up to them. The later longitudinal cars have an added twist, in that the front differential and axle is right up next to the engine, like about 3 mm clearance. The drive plate has a snout on it that bolts to the crank, is shaped sort of like a spool, and goes behind the axle back into the bellhousing.

So in order to replace a clutch, after the gearbox is out, you have to slide the center axle out the side of the case, then pull the clutch/flywheel assembly off the splines on the input shaft.

This also makes it a tight squeeze to get the transmission out, and I've done a ton of those since the EA888 engines (yes, 740GLE, even the "3rd" generation ones) routinely blow the rear main seals out. Yes, even the updated ones, LOL.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lalalala, i hear nothing, lalalala!!!

:p

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I found a solid deal on a clean 2014 JSW with 99k. Going to run a VCDS scan to check the DPF, and make sure DSG services have been done.

Still even has Dieselgate warranty left on it.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Good find.
I agree. Has potential. RCD-330 for CarPlay, new bulbs all around, maybe some foglights.

The car itself is clean with a complete CarFax service history. I just need to call the listed dealer to make sure the either 40k or 50k service, and maybe the 80k included the DSG fluid.

Only thing mechanically I’d need to worry about is an eventual DPF delete, and a CP3 upgrade.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.

That is a damn good one! I nearly lost it when I read your post. German Engineering at the finest!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
damn, how did it go?
Something about it rubbed me the wrong way when seeing it in person. I ended up finding a seriously clean 2009 Kia Optima SX (i.e. every option) for $7000 with 60k miles. Only needs tires and brakes, but I'm also changing all fluids and filters for peace of mind.

It's a perfectly adequate soulless appliance of a car. Pretty confident I can resell this thing for what I paid in a year or two when things get back to normal and only be out the $1000 in preventative maintenance.