Rip dzldub

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
13 years ago I bought my 2004 Jetta TDI GLS not being a car person whatsoever. Then a neighbor told me about TDICLUB and I joined 13 years ago tomorrow. So now 210410 miles, 13 years, thousands of $$$ in mods, the 2009 TDIFest people's choice, and a number of other TDIFest places and gasser show wins later. My poor DZLDUB was declared dead by Jake from State Farm. Someone turned in front of me in the wrong on Monday and I couldn't stop in time.

And now you can buy the goodies I added to it or anything else you might need. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=476184

So State Farm is going to offer me $3,380 with a buy back of $900. That seems too low to me. How do I go about trying to get more money back for the modifications I've added to it?
So now onto getting something new. The cars I've been thinking about are the Audi Q5, Q3, or A3 or a VW GTI, Tiguan, Touareg, or sportwagen.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I know how you feel:mad:.... as long as you came out injury free that is what matters. If you have receipts for recent work,it wouldn't hurt to show the adjuster(tires,brakes,timing belt,etc...). I'd reject that offer,I'd see if you could get closer to $5k.Does the car still run and drive? How fast were you going? I was going about 40 when that old lady pulled out in front of my B4,and that ended up crinkling the roof in a couple places and bowing the pass. door slightly....but it still would run and drive;).Keep us posted if you get a better offer....

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
That stinks. Sorry to hear it. It sounds like you are already looking, but was the frame damage beyond repair? Can you replace the quarters, hood, grill, lights, and bumper? For $900 I'd keep mine and bring it back to life, even if it twas just as an act of BEW preservation.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Looks like a flesh wound! State Farm gave up--you shouldn't.

Agree with other posters and you work to get more compensation. And then get the beast repaired, with a few upgrades along the way.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Sorry to hear about your car. I put up a thread "super bad luck day" a couple years ago when I got hit that might have some useful info for you. I've got some details in there about how I got Insurance to nearly double their offer, but unfortunately they weren't willing to fix the car.

If you don't have any frame damage, getting it fixed would be my vote too. Very nice car. Good luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry to see that. I always liked your car. Unfortunately it's probably not worth buying back and fixing unless you want to keep it. You wouldn't get your money out. Negotiating with insurance for mods is difficult at best.

If you're looking for something newer consider a BMW 335d. Go drive one and see what you think.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Wow, sorry to read about this. What a pain. Yours is/was a nice car.

I agree with TDIDieselBobNY, if you have receipts, Mods that are in/on the car, search the forum for recent sales of completed cars, to get what comparables sold for, present them to the adjustor for consideration.

Oliver might be able to provide you with a pre-loss valuation of your car. Certainly, he would qualify as an expert on the model & type in this market area. Perhaps others could also.

Keep notes of all contact with the adjustor & insurance carriers & document everything. They are. Remember they will be recording all phone conversations.

Are you filing on your insurance carrier? Or the other drivers carrier. See what each will offer.

Do not be afraid of appealing the offer to the adjustor's supervisor's. Auto (& other) insurance carrier's want to close files as fast as they can. Take your time to consider all your options, alternatives, etc. If you think you are being treated in bad faith or unfairly, you have the option & ability to file a claim with the state's insurance commissioner's office.

Good luck with it.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Sorry to hear this - you kept it nice with tasteful mods. :(

I remember seeing you and your car back in the day at ImpexFest. Fix it if frame is not bent. My 2002 Jetta would have been totaled last year when I hit a deer dead center - your damage looks less than what I had. Had 294K on it - bought it back then sold it to a coworker friend who fixed it - it's past 305K now and still going strong. Yours has less miles by 100K so it should have plenty of life left yet.

Yeah, I got a 2014 Passat TDI - wanted the bigger NMS plus after 13 years / 294K I was ready for a change. Plus I got a great deal on the Passat. :D Would not have been a wrong choice for me to keep the Jetta though which I still see everyday - and even drove a couple of weeks ago.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hey Dan,

Sorry about losing your Mk4! I always liked the way you had it done up.

You seem like you'd enjoy a 335d, so I'll second Peter's recommendation. :D

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
I decided to buy her back so she can live another day on/in other cars. Starting the part out now. I have also put a down payment on a new car for me. Wou might know it as Eric Webers 2005.5 Package 2 Jetta.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Bummer on the dzldub, get-er-fixed, congrats on the svtweb machine
Jeff ;-))

Btw I got the Hampsters 99.5 black golf in storage, getting a new front end soon.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I'm glad YOU are okay, the title made me worried...

Laughed at the "Jake from state farm"...he's wearing Khakis.

Glad to hear you bought it back. Damage doesn't look too bad, new fender, used subframe, spindle, new control arms and tie rods you should be good to go. +1 on SVTWEB's old crush.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Glad to see my 2005.5 going to a good home. She has served out family well. I still have my 2010 Jetta 4-Motion beast.... But as we all know... everything is for sale. :)