Right Rear ABS Sensor Broke Off

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So I had the right rear ABS sensor break off clean on me when I tried to replace it recently. A search didn't turn much on ABS sensors in general, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Any tips for getting the broken off end out?

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
If the sensor it self broke I would think you could drill it out, to break it out of the hole.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
9x out of 10 they break, I've found one that didn't so far lol. As said though, just drill away at it, use a smaller drill than the hole though, you're just trying to break it up to get the bits out.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Yeah, this was the only thing that came to mind. Gonna be interesting to get a drill in there without having to remove the strut/spring.
Not that I plan on ever removing this particular sensor again on this car, but would it be a good idea to put some grease on the new one to try to prevent this from happening again?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
A screwdriver and hammer or similar will do, just anything to break the rest of it out.

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
I never use anything but an air hammer and pointy bit to push it out, unless it was installed a week ago with anti-sieze, it will be stuck.

If bolt breaks, you can drill straight through lug hole in the hub, insert bolt, and put nut on other side through the sensor (m6x1.25 is thread size ircc.)

I've probably changed out 50 or more. never had an issue afterwards!

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Not that I plan on ever removing this particular sensor again on this car, but would it be a good idea to put some grease on the new one to try to prevent this from happening again?
I've replaced 2 on my vehicle with both requiring drilling to get out. The new ones were both a kind of press fit that made me think they almost guaranteed to be stuck if they ever need to be removed again.

I ended up sanding down the outside on one to the point that it would easily slide in and then applied some grease to it in hopes of an easy future replacement if it every comes to that.

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
Mine broke off on Right Rear. Used a long punch but could not get it all. Used a air powered die grinder with a carbide burr to just grind it out. Bonus, the mount screw also broke. Got my new sensor at O'Reilly autoparts, $47 and just JB welded in the hole. Next time they will need to do what I did, see above to remove.