Right Passenger rear window regulator noise and fail

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Noticed clunking noise when rolling down and up right passenger rear window for the last week and half.
Today it hesitated going up, stopped at closed and then auto opened. Tried again and closed properly. All the time clunking and gyrations. Spring storm this weekend, so window lock on, and when it dries up the door panel is coming off for an inspection of the internals.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I do not see any other posts regarding NMS regulator failures.
However, I did receive an advertisement email from IDParts on VW regulator sales yesterday. The irony was not lost on me.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Yep, busted. Up/ down glass holder is molded plastic piece and has two guides that travel along the vertical rail. The top guide is compromised. If I had to guess, one of my rear passenger copilots was playing the game of chicken. When placing random objects in window track, who will flinch first Passat or rider? Passat lost.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Pictures of regulator slide mechanism:

Inside the Door guts

Upper tab broken, lower tab intact, these retain the slide along the rail.

Plastic button that pins the window inside the regulator slide mechanism.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Replacement was straight forward. It does not seem like the regulator motor has travel limits internally, so it does not matter the window position when the motor is secured to the regulator mechanism.

The plastic window retaining pin is a 2 piece unit. I put the larger section into the window and regulator, and greased the smaller section a bit to help it slide into the larger pin. I dropped it a couple times and had to fish around for it. I wouldn't recommend losing track of it in the door bottom (or in a void in the back of the regulator slide mechanism.) I used two flat putty knifes to pinch the small pin to is final location.