Ridiculous pricing on 2014 Passat TDI SE

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I drove a 2014 Passat TDI SE MT the other day and liked it! I was just looking at TruCar and the price estimate is $21.8K!!! I'm been unsure whether I wanted a 2015 Golf TDI SEL MT or a Passat TDI MT. This could push me in the direction of the Passat. I just need to convince myself that I'll be perfectly happy without all the goodies like sunroof, NAV, keyless ignition, Xenon headlights, etc.

My local dealer says the MSRP is $27.7 but to make him an offer. May start with an offer of $20k.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
I drove a 2014 Passat TDI SE MT the other day and liked it! I was just looking at TruCar and the price estimate is $21.8K!!! I'm been unsure whether I wanted a 2015 Golf TDI SEL MT or a Passat TDI MT. This could push me in the direction of the Passat. I just need to convince myself that I'll be perfectly happy without all the goodies like sunroof, NAV, keyless ignition, Xenon headlights, etc.
My local dealer says the MSRP is $27.7 but to make him an offer. May start with an offer of $20k.
Several of us have purchased '14 SEs in the high $22s. I paid $22.7k in Feb. Now that '15s are hitting dealer lots I'm sure $21,xxx is in the realm of reason on a lingering '14.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE

Wow, that is very low. I have 70k miles on my 2012 and am debating if it's worthwhile to trade my car in (I keep getting offers of $17k)?

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I went from an A5 Jetta fully loaded with PKG 2 to a Grand Cherokee CRD....then to a 2003 Beetle GL TDI which I put on 40k and then picked up my Passat TDI SE 6MT. So my last two cars have been pretty basic. I am very happy and I don't miss the sunroof at all. At times I do miss the DSG but I have gotten used to the manual. The price I paid was quite a bit higher since I picked the 12 model up in 11/11.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Evidently that was TruCar's pricing yesterday. I did it again today and it says $24K now for the same exact car. There is no way around it but to just go there and haggle!

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
Wait towards the end of the month. And get a few dealers involved. You'll be amazed how much dealers will discount to report a better sales figure to VW for month end. I bought my 2015 this way and my garage queen the same way. The dealers incentive is a bigger discount on pricing from the manufacturer for the units sold that month.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
For what it's worth, I got my 2014 tdi SEL for 28 even, and they asked 34k and I laughed.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Tried dealing with one dealer today. The lowest I could get them was $24.9 for a 2014 TDI SE Manual. I don't see that as being a great deal. I then sent them a TrueCar screenshot of $22.8k but they still said $24.9k was their best price.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Contact Chris, member 3193. He'll get you the best price with no BS.
Fly and drive, shipping options, etc. He'll have the proper info.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Tried dealing with one dealer today. The lowest I could get them was $24.9 for a 2014 TDI SE Manual. I don't see that as being a great deal. I then sent them a TrueCar screenshot of $22.8k but they still said $24.9k was their best price.
What you have to do if using TrueCar is to contact the dealer that's offering that price and get them to confirm it via email. That how I got my local dealer to match the price I got in July. It saved me a drive to another city 3.5 hours away. My local dealer was $2,000 higher and they said they would match if I can show them a 'buyer's order'. I told them if I had a 'buyer's order', I'd be sitting at that dealer buying the car and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I told them what I had; the TrueCar pricing, followed up with an email confirm from the far away dealer I was willing to drive to. Once I provided that - they matched. After the test drive, all negotiations were handled via text and phone with my salesman. I was patient, taking a couple days, but also under pressure to buy because I was replacing a car that was totaled in rear-ender. This is the second time within 14 months I used this to get a great deal - let's hope I don't have to do it again for quite some time! (unless some idiot decides to crash into me again)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd do it if you can get it for around $22,000. It's a lot of car for not a lot of money even without all of the bells and whistles.

They should be eager to unload it as 2015s are available now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, that's about what my 2000 Golf GLS sold for new. That is a lot of car for the money.