Rhode Island Diesel Inspection Station Recommendation

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I'm in process of registering Jetta in Rhode Island for first time and am looking for leads on a shop that will not have an issue with an ALH TDI not having its muffler . Converter is in place with a resonator in the tailpipe, and increase in sound is nada above idle. Basically, I'm looking for a reasonable inspection shop.

Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent unusual noise.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The turbo and the Cat do a good job of quieting the exhaust on the TDIs. If it were me I'd just take it in. The only "unusual noise" they'll hear is that sweet turbo whine.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
^Yeah...barring any recommendations for RI shops that have some familiarity with these and know there isn't unusual noise... I will probably just take the owner/manager of a smaller shop aside beforehand, explain things, and invite them to take it for a drive to see that I'm not trying to pull their leg.

New state = no relationships with local shops. State inspections with their failure report systems can put owners at a disadvantage and I often feel I'm at the mercy of how badly a shop might want to drum up some business. Definitely helps to know some honest folks.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I had an MGB many years ago and I got pulled over for being too loud. While the state trooper was writing me up, 3 or 4 Harley Davidsons went by. I looked up at him and smiled whereupon he tore up the ticket and bid me on my way.