Rhino liner for rear bumper protection?

uscgbeachbum

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I've got an aluminum rear bumper protector for my JSW, but the dog still managed to scratch a nice gouge into the area just next to it. I've thinking of ripping off the aluminum protector and taking it to a bedliner shop to get Rhino Liner or Line X installed just on the top lip of the rear bumper. If the price is right I'll get it done to my wife's JSW as well. Anyone ever do this? Assuming it bonds well to plastic, I can't find a reason to NOT do it (besides it costing several hundred $$$ for each bumper).

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Can't comment on the bond quality but it sounds like a good idea. The liner can be purchased in one gallon cans if you want to tackle the application yourself and maybe save some $$. Google "bed liner 1 gallon can"

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=211961&highlight=rubstrips

Duplicolor or krylon and all those brands make spray on liner. The funny thing is, the rear bumper has been the most durable with all the bumps and scratches from unloading. It's moreso been the front bumper from removing it and bending it and such.

I would suggest if you do it yourself, sand the paint, tsp it, then spray it on, or your adhesion will suck. If I had only fully committed, would I not have to deal with patching the liner as much as I do.

I'm going to use a sidewalk paint then use the liner next time.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
I used black ribbed door matt material from Home Depot and double sided tape. Cost less than $10.00 and works great. Dogs can get traction and no scratches.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Wowza, expensive. Hopefully it's quality means it doesn't chip as easily, or fade like the brick and mortar stuff.

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Coupe and 2012 JSW
I don't think I would use the "Rino Lining" for this purpose. I had a truck bed lined with that product and it did very well, but it is a thick, "puffy", rubberized product. I think you would do better with something thinner.

I put some wing walk compound on some "nerf bars" that I had on a 4x4 pickup years ago. It did very well and application was very easy. Just mask wherever you don't want it and brush it on. It's $29.95 at Sporty's pilot Shop. http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12017

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I got a free rubber strip protector from a VW dealer that had a bunch made up for the MkIV's when they were new. It's ribbed, has a very rough grained finish for traction, and even has an embossed "VW" logo in the middle (look hard in the center for it). I love it. And before anyone asks, no, there are no more available.

Edit: Switched to another picture that shows it more clearly.

Last edited: