Review of plug and play LED upgrades: low beam (LasFit H7 G2 Pro) and High Beam (LasFit VW-01)

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Glad to hear they are long lasting. I just got the low beams when they went on sale last month. Previously, I felt naked at night with little to no lighting. Plus, I would get an intermittent fault on the right headlamp due to poor connection. The LasFit lights snapped in firmly, no more fault and, for the first time ever, I got flashed by someone when I went over a bump, thinking I had my high beams on! Now, I can actually see the road and it feels sooo much safer at night -should have done this a long time ago.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@AverageAndy Don't feel bad about being flashed. My IIHS poor-rated LED headlights on BMW also get flashed sometimes, especially in rainy weather while going uphill. And IIHS says they don't even reach the proper distance. I rarely get flashed with the Passat, but one time that I did on the hill at the stop sign, I activated the LED high beams, which are basically like a daytime. They quickly retreated and turned their high beams off. If you try to flash them with your OEM halogen high beams, they will just laugh at you - they barely make any difference with LasFit low beams. Same way as some old car with very dim yellow high beams forgets to turn them off, and then corrects it the last minute - I think to myself - may as well keep those high beams on, they bother nobody! Haha.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Installed the high beams today. I made two small brackets for the resistors, stuck to the hood lock panel with Gorilla doublesided tape (roughly equivalent to a 3M UHB tape). For the weather seal, I cut a small rectangle in the dust boot just large enough to pass the two braided cables, and then and additional slit about 3/4 inch long, to allow passing the connectors through. Once everything was in place, I sealed the opening with liquid electrical tape, a brush on liquid rubber. That's kind of a new tape for the stuff, I discovered it way back in the 80's in the marine repair yard, where we used it to seal up hydraulic & electrical fitting from the salt water.

Pics in a few minutes

Yours
Vern
Thanks for the explanation and pictures. So the high beams are not plug and play like the low beams?

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Unfortunately the high beams require the external resistor to avoid any bulb out warning. So that means you have to find a place to locate it.

If Lazfit had made the leads on the resistor another 6" longer, I think you could just lay it in the corner of the engine compartment under the lights, there's a bit of a shelf there. But they didn't.

Yours
Vern

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Unfortunately the high beams require the external resistor to avoid any bulb out warning. So that means you have to find a place to locate it.

If Lazfit had made the leads on the resistor another 6" longer, I think you could just lay it in the corner of the engine compartment under the lights, there's a bit of a shelf there. But they didn't.

Yours
Vern
Vern, send them an email with this suggestion. They are very receptive to feedback. @tikal see my earlier posts in this thread (edit: post 22 from page 1), their original version did not have a CANBUS adapter and the car always displayed the error. I reached out to the company, as I was bothered by light out warning and this was their solution (post 30, page 1). In my opinion, I'd rather have to hang the CANBUS somewhere than deal with light check flickering when starting car as well as light out warning until I flashed my high beams. This solved the issue, so now both low beam and high beam are error-free.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
^^ Thanks for the feedback folks. I have a 2015 Passat SE. Low beams are good so far. I will await a future plug and play option for the high beams.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
I just might do that. One of the low beams failed a few weeks ago (before the HB install), and they were very good about getting me a replacement. Though annoyingly because I live in Canada they couldn't directly replace the bulbs, instead I had to buy another pair on Amazon & they refunded the Amazon charge — minus the import fees. Amazon thing, they have no say. So I was out of pocket about 20$. That's offset a bit not having to send the bad set back, so I have a spare now and I get to take apart the failed one & see if it's repairable.

Yours
Vern

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
For some time I have the warning light on saying "Check daytime running light front left!". No issues with my LED lights though. 2015 Passat SE.

Just ignore it I suppose?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
For some time I have the warning light on saying "Check daytime running light front left!". No issues with my LED lights though. 2015 Passat SE.

Just ignore it I suppose?
I've gotten that a few times too. Always on a hot day with the car parked in the sun. I goes off pretty quickly on its own. I was guessing it was due to the heat?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Just coming back here to say that I resolved my problem from post # 128. It was indeed the daytime running light on the driver side. I replaced it and is all good. As per recommendation on some sites I went to replace the passenger side also, even though it was not needed, but it was much tighter situation due to a reservoir intruding. If you have done this work for changing the daytime running light on the passenger side please PM me.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just coming back here to say that I resolved my problem from post # 128. It was indeed the daytime running light on the driver side. I replaced it and is all good. As per recommendation on some sites I went to replace the passenger side also, even though it was not needed, but it was much tighter situation due to a reservoir intruding. If you have done this work for changing the daytime running light on the passenger side please PM me.
I would just remove the headlight assembly to get to the DRL. I had the bulb get stuck or it wouldn't lock correctly and just having the headlight out is 1000% easier.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Been running the deAutoLED H7 plug and play low beam LEDs and LED fog lights in my 15 GSW for over 3 years now. Also been running their rear backup LEDs, front and rear turn signal and backup light LEDs. Awesome. Bright white, nice cutoff but i did adjust them down a little since i got tired of other drivers flashing me. They are a little pricey but come with a lifetime warranty that they stand by. I had one H7 low beam and one fog light go out last year, emailed the company and they sent me a new pair of H7 LEDs and a new pair of LED fog lights, no charge.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Forgot to mention I am also running the de AuotoLED daytime running lights and hibeams. No issues with either.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
I don't believe any of the available drop in LEDs for our cars are DOT legal.....for the obvious reasons of a housing/reflector not designed for the light output.
Yep, CYA disclaimer by the manufacturer. Use at your own risk. Kinda like running a delete tune.

They may not have not been submitted for approval by the DOT but they have a cutoff that resembles a projector and work great for me.

Driving above the posted speed limit is illegal yet radar detectors are readily available for purchase in every state.

JMHO, your mileage will vary.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't believe any of the available drop in LEDs for our cars are DOT legal.....for the obvious reasons of a housing/reflector not designed for the light output.
You are correct. LasFit H7 G2 Pro website has a similar disclaimer.

As long as you are safely lighting up the road ahead, then is all good in my book.