Review of plug and play LED upgrades: low beam (LasFit H7 G2 Pro) and High Beam (LasFit VW-01)

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks everyone for your patience. I finally had a chance to mount the new version and test it out. Of course, having the extra canbus adapter is more complex than simple plug and play, since you are also tasked with mounting the canbus somewhere. I recommended to LasFit to make the wires a tiny bit longer which should provide greater flexibility for mounting. However, even with that limitation, I think I found a pretty good place to zip tie the canbus adapter, while still being able to tuck the connector inside the dome cover for dust and moisture protection. Since the cover had to be cut to allow wires through, I used some electrical tape to secure the dome from falling off over time as well as reduce the chance of moisture or dust ingress (dust -- specifically pollen -- is the worst offender in our area).

Now, to answer the question of whether this version corrected the bulb out warning - YES, IT HAS. There is no longer "self-test flickering" when the car is first turned on and there is no bulb error. The lights come on instantaneously without any difference from original version. From my limited testing, I don't even notice the canbus getting that warm, which means there is very little energy waste even with the canbus installed. Overall, despite extra work mounting the canbus, with my self-diagnosed "mild OCD", this is worth it versus having to see the error every day. See photos below:

First set of photos -- lights installed without the dome cover on driver side and with cover on passenger:

Driver side

Passenger side with done installed. Notice small cut I did with scissors to allow the wires out.

And the next set of photos is with my taping job to make this a more tight installation:

Driver side, taped with electrical tape.

Still driver side, but top view

Passenger side, with electrical tape

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is the light output of these new high beams still kind of meah? or is this just an add on dongle to avoid canbus error?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
is the light output of these new high beams still kind of meah? or is this just an add on dongle to avoid canbus error?
The light output is FANTASTIC compared to original OEM halogens. I will not be wrong to say that high beams on Passat are brighter than my OEM LED headlights on 2018 BMW 328d. The change in visibility is amazing.

This new version is simply a canbus add on to prevent the light out error. But it is still the same bulb and the brightness remains excellent.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So if you were to upgrade one, would you pick the just low beams? or do you feel it'd be best to upgrade both high and low, as the stock highbeams are trash compared to upgraded low beams?

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
The light output is FANTASTIC compared to original OEM halogens. I will not be wrong to say that high beams on Passat are brighter than my OEM LED headlights on 2018 BMW 328d. The change in visibility is amazing.

This new version is simply a canbus add on to prevent the light out error. But it is still the same bulb and the brightness remains excellent.
Thanks so much for doing this work. I'll be ordering a set of high and low beam bulbs.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
The low beam upgrade is super easy, just plug and play, and has no bulb warnings. Low beam made the car driveable at night. That is a necessity, no arguing there. And does not blind other drivers, which is a huge bonus.

However, as low beams are such an upgrade, the OEM halogen high beams (yellow in comparison) will almost be invisible when you turn them on while using LED low beams. Sometimes I felt they added no benefit except yellowing your overall light. When I added the LED high beams, oh yeah, they make a huge difference too. They actually add light you can see while low beams are on. I could not stand OE high beams with LasFit low beams since you could not get much extra benefit from them. So I would say although it involves an extra step of mounting the extra canbus, in the end it is still a great addition. If you don't typically drive in rural areas, the high beams may not be as useful. But this car is on the road well before sunrise on county roads surrounded by timber lands, so getting an extra few seconds to see and avoid deer for me was a benefit I cannot put a price on.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks so much for doing this work. I'll be ordering a set of high and low beam bulbs.
Make sure you put in comment that you want the upgraded high beam with error free canbus. I am not sure if they still have a stock of older simple high beams or not. But in either case, they are super responsive. If you get the high beam without that canbus, they will answer your email overnight. I was quite impressed with them. Thanks for following this thread!

peejay1229

TDI
2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Make sure you put in comment that you want the upgraded high beam with error free canbus. I am not sure if they still have a stock of older simple high beams or not. But in either case, they are super responsive. If you get the high beam without that canbus, they will answer your email overnight. I was quite impressed with them. Thanks for following this thread!
Eugene are you ordering the fog lights? I also live in a rural area and I don't need an accident because of halogen bulbs... I am about to order hope they give me the updated high beam wtih error free canbus. Also will need to order 75mm dust caps.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Eugene are you ordering the fog lights? I also live in a rural area and I don't need an accident because of halogen bulbs... I am about to order hope they give me the updated high beam wtih error free canbus. Also will need to order 75mm dust caps.
No, I have not upgraded fog lights. I barely use those. And I feel the yellow fogs work better in the fog (though they don't look as nice as LEDs would). I am still contemplating getting more interior upgrades, such as dome lights, etc, but frankly that is not as much of a necessity as the low and high beams were.

Yes, you need that 75mm dome dust cap. You will need to cut it a bit to allow the wires out. I used that electrical tape too, since once you cut the dome, mine did not feel as secure. Electrical tape will hold it in place and provides cover over the holes. Hence, hopefully less dust and pollen in the headlight. Would not run those without dust cover, since Mississippi is a pollen capital of the US (or so it seems). Best of luck, post your review here when you get them installed. I am happy I found them.

peejay1229

TDI
The fog lights and low beams are incredible!

I get a DRL error on my dash and the fog lights do not turn on when placed in "Auto" they physically have to be turned on to get them to fire up.
Wish this was not the case, not sure if there is a workaround.

Now have to decide to buy the Hi-Beams now.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I got the high beams, the issue I got is that the can bus is big and I'm afraid that the vw plug for the bulb will hit the fan on the High Beam if I use the extended dust caps. I'm going to 3D print an attachment for the can bus and the vw plug to sit nicely and leave the system sealed.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the high beams, the issue I got is that the can bus is big and I'm afraid that the vw plug for the bulb will hit the fan on the High Beam if I use the extended dust caps. I'm going to 3D print an attachment for the can bus and the vw plug to sit nicely and leave the system sealed.
That sounds awesome! When you have a chance to 3D print everything, can you please share a photo or two? If it solves this major problem, I think it would be a possible money to be made. I may be your first client to buy a 3D printed attachment. Thank you for your great contribution to this.

What do you think about his beams overall? They are freaking blinding!

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
The canbus adapter on final product appears smaller than my canbus adapter. Maybe that is why it should fit into dust cap, but mine was too large to fit, hence I had to leave it outside. I wanted car's OEM connector to also be inside cap so the water and moisture do not corrode contacts. If there were an option for a larger dust cap with a pocket inside, that would be another option. But I think LasFit should have included some type of screen around the fan to protect it, even though my canbus is outside of housing, the plug itself can still come in contact with the fan. Wonder why VW did not make the high beam same way as low beam, that is such a convenience not to deal with connectors and such. But hey, this is a great alternative and so far the best I found on the market. And I really like the company, how they continued to work on this until canbus error was gone. Now the car is perfect and does not drive me nuts. A win-win for everyone. Haha

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
The canbus adapter on final product appears smaller than my canbus adapter. Maybe that is why it should fit into dust cap, but mine was too large to fit, hence I had to leave it outside. I wanted car's OEM connector to also be inside cap so the water and moisture do not corrode contacts. If there were an option for a larger dust cap with a pocket inside, that would be another option. But I think LasFit should have included some type of screen around the fan to protect it, even though my canbus is outside of housing, the plug itself can still come in contact with the fan. Wonder why VW did not make the high beam same way as low beam, that is such a convenience not to deal with connectors and such. But hey, this is a great alternative and so far the best I found on the market. And I really like the company, how they continued to work on this until canbus error was gone. Now the car is perfect and does not drive me nuts. A win-win for everyone. Haha
Thanks for doing such a great job reviewing their product (and being a beta tester for them!).

This mod is still on my "very soon" list. Very, very soon.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The canbus adapter is the same size compared to yours. Thats why I couldn't use the extended caps as the canbus adapter would not fit as well the VW power plug may hit the fan.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Does the external resistor get really hot? It looks like they've included a disconnect too, so you might be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the headlamp, install a grommet and fish the connector back up through. I'll be looking at these when I get my car back from the dealer. They have me in a 22 Taos with some very very nice LED projectors that move with the steering. So I'm certainly going to be missing these headlights.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Does the external resistor get really hot? It looks like they've included a disconnect too, so you might be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the headlamp, install a grommet and fish the connector back up through. I'll be looking at these when I get my car back from the dealer. They have me in a 22 Taos with some very very nice LED projectors that move with the steering. So I'm certainly going to be missing these headlights.
When I was testing them, they did not get hot. Unlike the high beam bulbs which did get hot when running them.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@mak474 @x1800MODMY360x I agree, the external resistor does get a little warm. After about 5 minutes of running, I could still hold it in my hand, but it was fairly warm. I am sure longer distances would cause it to get hotter, although it is rare to have non-stop high beam use where I live, since you always run into traffic even at night. Since I zip-tied it to the metal component, I think it helps nicely to dissipate the heat. I hated the idea of introducing an "energy waster" for the sake of removing the error, but the error was simply driving me insane. And I heard some people that tried coding the high beam lamp check ended up bricking their front electronics module, requiring its replacement. So I did not want to mess with that. This was the least invasive method, I swear it has better lights now than my factory 328d LEDs. Although mine are not adaptive, my wife's X5 35d has adaptive Xenons, those are nice! Follow the steering for turns, and I even coded European version where the light scatter is wider up to speed of 35 mph, then the pattern squeezes a bit for increased distance. All these fancy EU improvements do not seem to keep up with DOT's outdated headlight rules.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Have you tested it with another car? Just curious to know if they are annoying to the person in front of you?
I HAD the DeAuto low beam LEDs....got flashed all the time. From MY POV, I liked them! >>>a s I could see.....they negated my high beams useless as they occupied the same pattern the HB's would have. I now have their foglight LEDs which turned my fogs into driving lights....get flashed every now and again even with those. Again, it comes down to an LED in a halogen designed housing/lens = not good!

I may try the Lasfit LED highs....since I would normally kill the highs when approaching oncoming traffic (NOTE: there have been times I forget to kill the OEM highs (because they're not that bright) and no one seems to flash me, so....?

peejay1229

TDI
I am going to buy hi-beams but my drl light is on the dash. I dont know if it is triggered from the low beams or fogs? When I turn on the fogs the drl error goes away.

tico_tdi

TDI
golf gl 2003 silver (sold), 2013 Passat SE(buyback), 2015 Passat SE, Audi 2015 Q7 TDI (new addition) gray
Just found your great install instructions for the Pro Series H7 LED Bulbs w/Retainer Adapter For Volkswagen Passat 2012-2015. I have tried several types of LED's for my 2015 Passat's high beam, (Lasfit wirelesss H7 mini-too dim and
LASFIT H7 LED Bulbs w/Adapter-Retainer-Holder Special for Volkswagen-Passat 2012-2019 Dipped Beam- didn't fit) I using DeAuto h7 bulbs for my low beams & they work great. I just got the Lastfit Pro-VW-01 and having problems with the bulb locking into the plastic retainer on the headlight. I tried with the supplied o-ring & without. The result is that the bulbs remain loose on the socket. Did you have that problem? I plan on getting the domes to give more room for the fans.
thanks
Jeff

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
I seemed to have a similar experience. I think the driver side required a little more elbow grease to push until it clicked. The other side was no problem. Then I switched the lights and the same side still had the same issue. So it appears there is some variation in plastic housing. I kept the original gasket. I made sure the light was perfectly lined up, then kept pushing until it worked. Taking it out was also harder. But it got easier each time I tested new unit, I think the light was wearing in a little more.

rjsmoyer

TDI
Jetta SW
For the dust covers on the low beam bulbs, forgive me as i'm new, but are the VW headlight housings the same? I'm trying to do this upgrade on a 14 JSW and would like the coned out dust covers.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks everyone for your patience. I finally had a chance to mount the new version and test it out. Of course, having the extra canbus adapter is more complex than simple plug and play, since you are also tasked with mounting the canbus somewhere. I recommended to LasFit to make the wires a tiny bit longer which should provide greater flexibility for mounting. However, even with that limitation, I think I found a pretty good place to zip tie the canbus adapter, while still being able to tuck the connector inside the dome cover for dust and moisture protection. Since the cover had to be cut to allow wires through, I used some electrical tape to secure the dome from falling off over time as well as reduce the chance of moisture or dust ingress (dust -- specifically pollen -- is the worst offender in our area).

Now, to answer the question of whether this version corrected the bulb out warning - YES, IT HAS. There is no longer "self-test flickering" when the car is first turned on and there is no bulb error. The lights come on instantaneously without any difference from original version. From my limited testing, I don't even notice the canbus getting that warm, which means there is very little energy waste even with the canbus installed. Overall, despite extra work mounting the canbus, with my self-diagnosed "mild OCD", this is worth it versus having to see the error every day. See photos below:

First set of photos -- lights installed without the dome cover on driver side and with cover on passenger:

Driver side

Passenger side with done installed. Notice small cut I did with scissors to allow the wires out.

And the next set of photos is with my taping job to make this a more tight installation:

Driver side, taped with electrical tape.

Still driver side, but top view

Passenger side, with electrical tape
ow

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Comparison between LED on the left and Halogen on the right. Camera auto adjusting brightness.
Wow, I'm impressed, that works rather well! There's a bit much foreground light compared to the halogens, and the hot pool in the beam pattern is a bit far down from the cutoff.

Here's a photo from the HID kit we'd put into our car, compared to stock halogens:

1642455451887.png

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just clicked on the Apple Pay option and in a few seconds had a confirmation prompt, shipping to my (Pay) home address here in Canada.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Interesting. Please do come back and tell us if you got the lights. I had arranged to drop ship to a friend in the states but they were out of stock on the high beams last month and I never pulled the trigger.

Yours
Vern

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I didn't actually order (I'm happy with my lights setup); went through the process just to see if it was possible via Pay.

Cosmo_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI Sport CL
I spoke to LasFit, and I ended up ordering through their recommendation for Canada via Amazon.com. Arrived quickly. Sadly, the low beams throw an error code when I start the car that both front bulbs are burnt and to replace. Lasfit said there wasn't anything to do because of the Canbus. Otherwise, they seem great.